Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Latest firmware for R8000 broke Circle usage tracking

rezilient
Aspirant

Latest firmware for R8000 broke Circle usage tracking

We subscribe to Circle parental controls on this router and so far it had been working fine, but now it is not tracking the time usage for any of the user profiles so my kids have watching way more Netflix over the past couple of weeks. 🙂

The usage line says “0 minutes today” for every user.

I believe there was an urgent patch for these routers a couple of weeks ago because of some vulnerability with the circle parental control software on them.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I dont understand why Netgear doesnt have a support line that i can call or email. And Circle doesn’t want to have anything to do with it.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Latest firmware for R8000 broke Circle usage tracking

Did you ever find a fix for this?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
rezilient
Aspirant

Nope, still have a ticket open with netgear and they have thus far not helped at all. It has been escalated to L3 support. We have tried restoring to factory defaults and restoring the Circle settings but still no luck.
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version was Circle working on? 

Try going back to what was working? 

Message 4 of 7
jcstillwell
Aspirant

@rezilient  Did you get the issue fixed?  If so, please post the solution.  I have the same issue, and it's quite frustrating to pay a monthly subscription for something that doesn't work now.

Message 5 of 7
rezilient
Aspirant

Hello! No it's still broken unfortunately. I tried working with Netgear support but unfortunately didn't have much luck getting any help.

I tried factory resetting my Netgear router, and started from scratch with all the Netgear and Circle settings.

It's still not tracking any USAGE at all (just shows 0 minutes for each user) and because the usage time is not getting tracked, the time limits don't work so my little kids are getting way more Youtube and Netflix time than I would like (which means more supervision from us busy working parents). I am still using the Bed Time and App Filter settings so I can turn things on/off as needed for my kids.

The other interesting tidbit is that the Bed Time "hours" are off by exactly 3 hours (ie. Circle is stuck in US Pacific Time) so for example if I want the Internet to pause at 9PM i need to set it in Circle at 6PM.

This leads me to think the whole thing is related to time zone configuration. We tried switching the time zone on the Netgear but still didn't help.

Message 6 of 7
jcstillwell
Aspirant

@rezilient 

NETGEAR opened a support ticket, and contacted me to trouble shoot the issue.  I was able to get Circle to track usage again after a factory reset and starting Circle over from scratch, but Circle stopped tracking usage after I had reconfigured my router manually.  After resetting the router again, I confirmed Circle was tracking usage after each change to the router configuration.  I found that if I turn on "Access Control" or "Traffic Meter", then Circle stops tracking usage.  Keeping those two settings off has worked for me.  I hope this helps.

My Circle times are also stuck on PST, so that is probably not the problem.   

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7