Reply

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Riehmc
Aspirant

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

It's definitely a huge oversight on Netgear's behalf.  Things like this will always keep their products from ever reaching the Enterprise level.  I'm seriously surprised that someone hasn't class-actioned them for advertising a feature that is obviously not available after the update to .102

Message 51 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

You should contact NG support to have them help you with this Sir. It clearly is availavble. No lawyer will touch this if its not really a legitamate problem. I and others have proven it's there. 

 

Hopefully someone at NG support can help you out. 

 

Good Luck. 

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 52 of 84
oscarhk
Star

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Thanks for your suggestion.

But I have no way to contact NG support as my RBR50 has been using for several years.

Message 53 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Contact a forum moderator.

@Christian_R 

 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062852/How-do-I-upgrade-from-Circle-to-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Controls
https://kb.netgear.com/000062558/How-do-I-manage-content-filters-for-my-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Contr...

 


@oscarhk wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion.

But I have no way to contact NG support as my RBR50 has been using for several years.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 54 of 84
Pweissma
Guide

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Rolling the firmware back to v2.6.1.40 has restored Circle for me and several other posters on this thread. 

 

I'm reposting directions on how to roll back the firmware. I origianally posted this to deal with the iPhone app bug that affected v2.7.x. 

 

To roll back the firmware:

1. Go to support.netgear.com and enter the model number rbk50. This model number is for the kit containing rbs50 and rbr50.

2. Click on downloads and then download the firmware v2.6.1.40 for both the rbs50 and rbk50. Open the zip files.

3. Get to the routers web page by going to orbilogin.com or entering the ip address. Go to Advanced --> Administration --> Firmware Updates --> Manual update. 

4. Roll back your RBS50s first. Select your RBS50s. Hit browse and navigate to the v2.6.1.40 firmware you just downloaded and update.

5. Same thing now for the router. 

That's it. 

Message 55 of 84
3BeansandDreams
Aspirant

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Funny thing is. I downgraded it was there then I upgraded it disappeared. But a few days later I got a prompt on my IOS app to add Netgear smart parental control. I clicked okay and it was on my app. But nothing on the website version.

I’m on the latest version
Message 56 of 84
vajim
Master

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104


@Pweissma wrote:

Rolling the firmware back to v2.6.1.40 has restored Circle for me and several other posters on this thread. 

 

I'm reposting directions on how to roll back the firmware. I origianally posted this to deal with the iPhone app bug that affected v2.7.x. 

 

To roll back the firmware:

1. Go to support.netgear.com and enter the model number rbk50. This model number is for the kit containing rbs50 and rbr50.

2. Click on downloads and then download the firmware v2.6.1.40 for both the rbs50 and rbk50. Open the zip files.

3. Get to the routers web page by going to orbilogin.com or entering the ip address. Go to Advanced --> Administration --> Firmware Updates --> Manual update. 

4. Roll back your RBS50s first. Select your RBS50s. Hit browse and navigate to the v2.6.1.40 firmware you just downloaded and update.

5. Same thing now for the router. 

That's it. 


It's recommended that IF your network is working leave it alone UNLESS you love living on the edge and have nothing better to do than play around with your network and see how many ways you can break it.  

Message 57 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Did you follow this proccess? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062852/How-do-I-upgrade-from-Circle-to-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Controls

 

I followed this and both NG Smart Parental Controls are on both iOS app and v104 on the RBRs web page. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 58 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

I also try v40 and Circle was there as well. Remember Parental Controls UI is under Advanced tab/Security:

ParentalControlsv40.png

NG has moved PC's under Basic Tab now for more convienence starting on v102:

CircleContolsv102.png

So be sure your looking in the right place of PC. 

 

I also use this process with v102 and got NG Smart Parental controls to appear.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062852/How-do-I-upgrade-from-Circle-to-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Controls

After going thru this process, Circle was enabled from the Orbi app and then pointed to the Circle app. After it was enabled and running. I updated to v104 and it's still running on the RBRs web page. 

 

@Pweissma 

@3BeansandDreams 

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 59 of 84
Riehmc
Aspirant

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Why would I want to follow a KB for how to install Netgear security if I want to keep the circle app running? Are you tell me that that firmware allows you to use both with firmware .104?
Message 60 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Missing-parental-controls-on-firmwar...


@Riehmc wrote:
Why would I want to follow a KB for how to install Netgear security if I want to keep the circle app running? Are you tell me that that firmware allows you to use both with firmware .104?

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 61 of 84
oscarhk
Star

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Totally agreed with vajim. Don't waste time to try if you fell into "NO Parental Control after updating to v2.7.2.104" party. I have wasted days to try different settings and upgrade and downgrade. Now I'm happy with v2.6.1.40. that have Circle running properly. I have paid Netgear Armor and Circle on my RBK50.

 

I believe that someone still have Parental Control after upgrading to v104. But if you are not the one, then don't waste time. If your router is new and still have the 3-months support service, try to contact NG tech support and let us know if this can be solved.

 

Thanks.

Message 62 of 84
oscarhk
Star

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

No need to waste time. Just stay at v2.6.1.40 that still support Circle on our cases.

Message 63 of 84
vajim
Master

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104


@oscarhk wrote:

No need to waste time. Just stay at v2.6.1.40 that still support Circle on our cases.


Wise decision 

 

The sad part is there are people on this forum who are fully aware of the faulty firmware and continue to believe that if a certain firmware worked for them it should work for all.  And then there are another group who may not even tried the bad firmware but feel like that need to be the savior.  Both types insist on running you through dozens of useless questions that lead to no where.  Also watch out for those who will resort to personal attacks if you don't see things their way 

 

 

Message 64 of 84
pinecone123
Aspirant

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

I still have Netgear 90-day support. I asked the support which version to use exactly and they recomended v102. When I installed v102, Circle did not work. I downgraded to V2.6.1.40 and Circle started working.

When I upgraded to v102 (from V2.6.1.40), the router stopped working completely. Not sure what went wrong, and I would want to learn from the experience (I am new to Netgear). I used the wired connection, Edge browser. I first applied the firmware upgrade to the sattelite and that worked. I then applied the firmware to the router and that did not work.  What might be the reasoning? 

Thanks 

 

Message 65 of 84
Pweissma
Guide

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

NG support is generally good but they don't know and probably don't have the experience of dealing with various software and firmware bugs. If NG was familiar with the bugs it would probalby be easier to fix them than teach support how to deal with them. Support's general suggestion to fix anything that doesn't work right and isn't a setting issue is to do a factory reset. When I have a problem I first read through the NG material and if that doesn't help I look here. I've found community support to be the best way to work through this problem. When I upgraded to v2.7 and lost Circle, this forum helped a lot.

 

Regarding the question of why upgrades to the router but not the satelite caused the problem, my belief is that the router drives the system. Circle functionality is within the router so upgrades to satelite firmware won't impact Circle. 

 

Message 66 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

You might try disabling Circle first. I didn't have Circle enabled at all when I went thru each version of FW to see where the Parental controls were at. Again, they are under Advanced Tab/Security then moved in the UI after v40 to under Basic Tab. I did apply v102 manually and I believe I factory reset and setup from scratch. I did follow the KB article and selected the "upgrade to NG PC" button and the RBR rebooted once more. I then enabled the PC option on the RBRs web page under Basic tab first. I then launched the Orbi app and found PC controls there. Selected PC on the Orbi app and it directed me to the Circle app which I already had installed from a long time ago. It opened up and then I walked thru it as a new users. v104 was applied over the top of v102 using the UPDATE ALL button as it was seen and available on the RBRs FW update page.

 

I don't know what would happen if your a current user. Why you might disable Circle completely, update to v102, and factory reset and walk thru from scratch. 

 

I would get ahold of a forum moderator to ask them what the deal is and if they can help figure out why some users can't get to v102 or beyond with the new smart parental controls. 

@Christian_R 


@Pweissma wrote:

NG support is generally good but they don't know and probably don't have the experience of dealing with various software and firmware bugs. If NG was familiar with the bugs it would probalby be easier to fix them than teach support how to deal with them. Support's general suggestion to fix anything that doesn't work right and isn't a setting issue is to do a factory reset. When I have a problem I first read through the NG material and if that doesn't help I look here. I've found community support to be the best way to work through this problem. When I upgraded to v2.7 and lost Circle, this forum helped a lot.

 

Regarding the question of why upgrades to the router but not the satelite caused the problem, my belief is that the router drives the system. Circle functionality is within the router so upgrades to satelite firmware won't impact Circle. 

 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 67 of 84
vajim
Master

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104


@FURRYe38 wrote:

You might try disabling Circle first. I didn't have Circle enabled at all when I went thru each version of FW to see where the Parental controls were at. Again, they are under Advanced Tab/Security then moved in the UI after v40 to under Basic Tab. I did apply v102 manually and I believe I factory reset and setup from scratch. I did follow the KB article and selected the "upgrade to NG PC" button and the RBR rebooted once more. I then enabled the PC option on the RBRs web page under Basic tab first. I then launched the Orbi app and found PC controls there. Selected PC on the Orbi app and it directed me to the Circle app which I already had installed from a long time ago. It opened up and then I walked thru it as a new users. v104 was applied over the top of v102 using the UPDATE ALL button as it was seen and available on the RBRs FW update page.

 

I don't know what would happen if your a current user. Why you might disable Circle completely, update to v102, and factory reset and walk thru from scratch. 

 

I would get ahold of a forum moderator to ask them what the deal is and if they can help figure out why some users can't get to v102 or beyond with the new smart parental controls. 

@Christian_R 


@Pweissma wrote:

NG support is generally good but they don't know and probably don't have the experience of dealing with various software and firmware bugs. If NG was familiar with the bugs it would probalby be easier to fix them than teach support how to deal with them. Support's general suggestion to fix anything that doesn't work right and isn't a setting issue is to do a factory reset. When I have a problem I first read through the NG material and if that doesn't help I look here. I've found community support to be the best way to work through this problem. When I upgraded to v2.7 and lost Circle, this forum helped a lot.

 

Regarding the question of why upgrades to the router but not the satelite caused the problem, my belief is that the router drives the system. Circle functionality is within the router so upgrades to satelite firmware won't impact Circle. 

 


 


This another case where the posted knows the firmware is screwed yet the offer dead ends 

Message 68 of 84
oscarhk
Star

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

I have exactly the same experience on manually upgrading to v102 and internet didn't work.

It's because you have Circle enabled on v40 and then when upgrading to v102, somehow it have Circle enabled but not functional, that's why you are not able to connect to internet. I have verified this by downgrading to v40 that have Circle, upgraded to v102 and the internet is normal after that. But Parental Control is still totally missing.

 

Hope NG support can help you to solve the problem. Or just stay at v40 until another firmware released.

I will not consider NG devices in my next router upgrade. I don't mind they have problems, all brands do, but they are not able to solve problems and just show us others are working fine, it's problem of ourselves! I don't like that.

 

My experience with Google (not router but on Ad Serving business) is that, even the problem obviously not related to them, they will still try their best to locate it and give you suggestions.

Message 69 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

PC is not missing, is moved from the Advanced tab/Security menu to the Basic tab on FW verions v102/104:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Missing-parental-controls-on-firmwar...

 

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 70 of 84
oscarhk
Star

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Thanks very much. You are right! And you are very helpful.

It's our problem. We are all blind. And we are not able to use NG devices properly due to our knowledge level.

I appreciated very much for your kindly help. You are always the first one who respond to our questions and doubts promptly.

Message 71 of 84
3BeansandDreams
Aspirant

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

I have the latest firmware on my RBK50. On my IOS app I have the parental control icon. I set it up but it says the trial expired in a month. I thought it was free?
Message 72 of 84
3BeansandDreams
Aspirant

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

I have the latest firmware on my RBK50. On my IOS app I have the parental control icon. I set it up but it says the trial expired in a month. I thought it was free?

 

Here is a screen shot.

trialNG.PC.png

Message 73 of 84
oscarhk
Star

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Yes, they provide 30 days free trial Premium Subscription and after that, only "Pause Internet" and "Create Profile" are supported in free SPC. If you wound like to do more, you have to pay.

 

For details:

https://www.netgear.com/home/services/smart-parental-controls/

 

 

Message 74 of 84
3BeansandDreams
Aspirant

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Uhhh figures!  Thank you for the clarification.  

Message 75 of 84
Discussion stats
  • 83 replies
  • 2166 views
  • 19 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements