Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Missing parental controls on firmware v.2.7.2.104

Ya 30 day trial. There are two options for Circle, 4.99 monthly or 49.99 for a year. Seen one the Circle app left side menu, last option on the menu, Premium. 

@3BeansandDreams wrote:

Uhhh figures!  Thank you for the clarification.  

Message 76 of 84
vajim
Master

There are two options for Circle, 4.99 monthly or 49.99 for a year.

Message 77 of 84
srees304
Initiate

@qwiksand32 @3BeansandDreams @HoyaHokie @Pweissma 
I have found a workaround for the missing parental controls in my situation. No firmware rollback or factory reset needed.
HOWEVER: Please note that the parental control links in the web interface ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HIDDEN when Netgear SPC is enabled, according to https://kb.netgear.com/000062852/How-do-I-upgrade-from-Circle-to-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Controls-on-...as they expect people to use the Orbi app to manage parental controls. If, like me, you do not get the options in the Orbi app for the Netgear SPC, this will restore your Circle options.

The following steps tell the admin page to load the link for the parental controls that have been hidden.

This is an easy guide for how to workaround this issue using the Chrome browser:
1) Bring up the admin website for your Orbi and click on the Advanced tab - this does not work from the Basic tab.
2) Using the browser's menu, go to View->Developer->JavaScript Console as pictured:

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 20.49.36.png

3) In the console, type the following and press enter:

click_adv_action('circle_parental');

You should see the following after doing this:

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 20.56.11.png

4) Click (again) on the button "UPGRADE TO NETGEAR SPC" and choose to reboot the router.

You should now be able to find parental control links both on the Basic tab, and under Advanced->Security. At this point, you can proceed with setting up Circle, (or not).

I do not believe this is the Netgear SPC as the button to 'UPGRADE TO NETGEAR SPC' remains, and the docs insist that NSPC is done with the Orbi app (doesn't say anything about Circle).

I hope this helps others out!

**Edit** No idea why the pictures won't show in the post. They are public. Sigh.

Message 78 of 84
oscarhk
Star

@srees304 Thanks a lot.

I finally solved the problem using your suggested workaround.

My steps are basically the same as what you shared except that I don't have "UPGRADE TO NETGEAR SPC" button during my flow.

My flow is:

1. On firmware 2.6.1.40, disable Circle

2. Upgrade to 2.7.2.102

3. Go to advance tab, then use browser menu to "View" -> "Developer" -> "JavaScript Console"

4. Type

click_adv_action('circle_parental');

5. And I saw this:

Snip20210313_27.png

6. I enabled Smart Parental Controls, click Apply, then even on Basic tab, Parental Controls appeared again.

7. Restart the Router and all things are working properly, Parental Controls is still here, then I use the web UI to update the firmware to the latest 2.7.2.104. Luckily, Circle is still here.

Thanks again!

Message 79 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Also FW, of v102 is manually applied and you perform a factory reset on the RBR, the "UPGRADE TO NETGEAR SPC" button will appear with out having to modify anything. It did for me in MS Edge browser. 

Message 80 of 84
oscarhk
Star

I tried your suggested flow, it did not work for us.

Thanks. Actually, you did not encounter our problem, so your solution is just estimated.

Thanks for your enthusiasm in helping us to solve the problem.

For others with the same experience as us: No need to factory reset!

If you update to 2.7.2.104 and found that Parentals Control is missing, just follow @srees304  's solution. It is proven worked.

Message 81 of 84
vajim
Master

or don't upgrade to 2.7.2.104 and leave the stress behind

Message 82 of 84
oscarhk
Star

@vajim You are right. That's why I left the job till weekend when I got more time in dealing with this stressful work. It's finally solved for me.

Message 83 of 84
vajim
Master

@oscarhk wrote:

@vajim You are right. That's why I left the job till weekend when I got more time in dealing with this stressful work. It's finally solved for me.

Thanks 

Years ago Netgear used to push all these wonderful firmware updates automatically meaning the user had no say in the process.  Most users then cried and Netgear apparently change their policy and now it appears that firmware updates are left to the user and even with that there are still problems.  

I like most folks just want a firmware update with little or no problems.  I do not want to live on the edge or join Netgear's beta testing department and if I choose to warn people about bad firmware experiences I've read on here I do not want to be crucified 

Message 84 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 83 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7