Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Move on to Circle 2nd Generatiom

em2394
Tutor

Move on to Circle 2nd Generatiom

Hi, I bought the R7000p with Circle included in 2018 (I'm in UK). Worked well but seem to be having a variety of problems now with the Circle app and so I'm thinking of moving on to the 2nd generation of Circle. However, I dont understand how to upgrade the Circle app on the router -- although I understand that the R7000p is compatible.  Do I purchase it as a download and then install or do I go into Circle on the router and upgrade from there ? 

Has anyone else upgraded to 2nd generation with this model of router ? Any problems ? 

Thanks for any advice/opinions

J

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Move on to Circle 2nd Generatiom

What FW is loaded on the router?

Do you see parental controls on the routers web page anywhere that shows anything about Circle or Smart Parental Controls? Might be under Basic Tab or Advanced Tab/Advanced/Security? 

Message 2 of 6
em2394
Tutor

Hi Thanks for responding.

FW v1.3.1.64. If I click on Check for Updates says No New Firmware us available at this time. Not sure that's correct ??? THink 1.3.3.140 is latest ? 

I can see under Parental Control tab and just mentions Circle and then I can click on the 'Go To Circle' button which takes me to the app on my phone. Ist Generation that came with router on purchase in 2018

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Check NGs support page for what currnent version of FW is available. 

Message 4 of 6
svetaketu
Luminary

Hi @em2394,

NG routers only have either Circle (1st gen) or NETGEAR SPC.

R7000P only has Circle (1st gen).

Circle 2nd generation is Circle Home Plus which is a separate device you connect to your router.

Here are some links for your perusal:

https://meetcircle.com/products/circle-home-plus-parental-controls 

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022419752-Router-Compatibility-and-Circle-Home-P... 

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 6
em2394
Tutor

Hi, thanks for your advice and support. Apologies for not getting back sooner.

The router still on original FW. Too wary of updating FW as lots of scare stories on here about repercussions so Ive left well alone !

Circle 1 app seems to work kind of OK but doesn't always recognise new devices on the network now -or if it does doesn't recognise by their name so 'Toms phone' will show as Unrecognised device. And then with now randomised MAC addresses, its not easy to see what's what. I can only really work it out if I hook up to the network/router at the property via my laptop and use the old Netgear Genie (Night hawk app is a dead loss by comparison). Then I can see much more clearly what's going on. However, the router is at my son's house - not mine and I need remote access which doesn't work anymore - does with Night hawk app but that doesn't show me what I need to know and neither does the Circle app on my phone. Reckon this might be as good as it's going to get ?
Thanks for all your help
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7