Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Genie - Parental Control (OpenDNS) Not working

luterguy
Aspirant

Netgear Genie - Parental Control (OpenDNS) Not working

I really could use some help with how OpenDNS works with netgear routers. 

First, there were some firmware issue where it did not work properly using Genie app. I thought they fixed that...but frankly I don't have confidence in their firmware releases.

Now... logging routerlogin (url) or genie app and enabling/disabling OpenDNS is not working.

I have to log into OpenDNS and then reboot router to make changes.

So... I feel there are too many accounts and somehow it might be tripping over itself.

I think if you are using netgear Open DNs you can't use OpenDNS (non-netgear)....but I am still unclear. Also when I log into netgear.opendsn.com.... my device is listed several times....and i don't see any way to delete/edit this.

I have a feeling the setup is just bungled at this point...but no longer have support on just over 1 year old router....so netgear won't help.

Any advice/help anyone has...would be greatly appreciated. I also think i am about done giving Netgear money. This router R7900 has had many weird issues. Only way to use it out of the box was to get some beta firmware from their tech support. However, now out of warranty... I am guessing the last firmware update... has same issues originaly had. I don't feel supported by Netgear...and don't feel like continuing to suppor them.

FYI: I do like their Arlo camera...but need to get off their routers.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
luterguy
Aspirant

Their latest firmare fixed the issue with parental controls.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @luterguy,

Welcome to the community!

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. Please try using another device (Android, iOS, PC, Mac) and check if the issue persists.

3. Have you tried resetting the router?

4. Are you using an existing OpenDNS account or is it a new one setup via the Genie app?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @luterguy,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 3 of 6
luterguy
Aspirant

I had to use old firmware as latest firmware update breaks LPC. This is ongoing problem with this nighthawk router and your firmware updates. I dont understand how you released break LPC. It makes me mad and not want to support netgear.
Message 4 of 6
luterguy
Aspirant

Their latest firmware update fixed the Parental controls issue. 

Netgear support called me and we tested both old firmware and latest to prove that it was cause and new version was the fix. Support was great.

The problem I have is that when I bought this router... I had to tell them about this issue (breaks parental controls). I worked with tech support and after many hours ....got the right person who put some beta firmware on router to fix it. I told him I was afraid that the issue would creep back and it did with one of the later firmware versions. 

So the fix is now in the latest released firmware so hopefully it will be fixed for good. However, what bothers me is that I paid a lot of money for this router...and have spent way more time with their tech support trying to show/fix their product only to get bitten by it twice. 

Message 5 of 6
luterguy
Aspirant

Their latest firmare fixed the issue with parental controls.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7