Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi RBR50 with Disney 1st Gen Circle not showing usage or usage history per profile

Manxdan
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi RBR50 with Disney 1st Gen Circle not showing usage or usage history per profile

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to resolve this one quickly. I recently upgraded the Orbi RBR50 to v2.5.2.4 and all appeared to be working as expected, until I checked the Disney Circle 1st Gen app to see different household usage. There hasn't been any usage reported for several weeks. I've rebooted the Orbi system, and I've tried placing profiles into different filters but still the same. 

The circle app is v2.1.10(774) and I suspect it is related to this. 

has anyone else had this issue? Is there a more up to date app release that I'm not aware of? Or does anyone have any suggestions that might help resolve this usage issue?

Best Regards,

Dan

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear Orbi RBR50 with Disney 1st Gen Circle not showing usage or usage history per profile

Hello Manxdan, 

You may need to update your router's firmware to the latest firmware version. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
Stingray67
Initiate

Hi Dan,

I have been fighting with this problem for the last week after discovering that my youngest had free reign and seemingly endless YouTube viewing.  In fact is was endless.  I finally found out why this afternoon.  I'm guessing you have iOS devices, if not then likely another problem.  If you are like me and keep those iOS devices up to date then they are probably runnin iOS version 14 or higher.  Apple introduced Private network to is privacy protection suite.  When you attach your device to a network it generates a new MAC address specifically for that network.  I my case, the circle profiles had the kids device MAC address, but I had never noticed that new alerts about new devices had joined the network, well those devices flagged as unknown in my list was the kids devices but with the network specific Mac ID's.

Two options to fix:

Turn off the private network or add the network specific device to the kids profile.  Here's a good article that describes the whole thing.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/19/how-to-use-private-wifi-mac-address-iphone-ipad/

Hope this helps, be safe and happy holidays!

John

Message 3 of 4
Manxdan
Aspirant

Thanks John! That actually sounds like the root cause. I gave up in the end, and bought the Circle Home Plus box.... thankfully Circle applied my original Orbi Circle subscription onto the new Circle Premium. The updated version of Circle has more features, and so far it’s behaved really good.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked the inbuilt Orbi Circle solution; I guess Orbi and Circle are no longer operating together hence the lack of development in the solution. I would, however, recommend the Circle Home Plus box; it seems to offer a more robust solution to its previous Orbi offering. I still use Orbi for my WiFi mesh, that won’t change for a long time now.

Thanks again for taking time to help out.

Much appreciated. All the best for Christmas and 2021!
Dan
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7