Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi + Circle Filtering out most URLs

drazzig
Aspirant

Orbi + Circle Filtering out most URLs

Hi all,

I'm getting very frustrated with Orbi + Disney Circle in our household and its leading to lots of arguments with my teenage son. Sometime a few months ago, it looks like Circle started blocking everything that wasn't explicitly whitelisted. Pages that worked before like github.com started loading without CSS because the CSS urls were being blocked ( i.e. githubassets.github.com) and to get anything working I need to go into custom filters and keep adding domains that are allowed for the sites to work.Same for Discord, his school websites, Google docs, etc.

If I switch his profile to no filtering, everything works fine but then we lose tracking and ability to limit time. If I put it on Teen or Adult profile then we're back to sites or CSS domains on those sites getting blocked unless I explicitly add it to the list of allowed URLs on his profile. I just tried it myself just now on his profile and even a safe site like hotmail.com is getting filtered too. This means he's constantly nagging me to keep unblocking domains to keep things working.

I've updated our router and sattelite to the latest firmware (V2.3.5.12_1.0.8) and tried every setting I can imagine to allow the internet work work with the Tean or Adult profile enabled without it blocking sites or related domains for static content that shouldn't be filtered out.

Does anyone know how to fix this or how it appears to have changed in the past year? 

Thanks

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Orbi + Circle Filtering out most URLs

Hello drazzig, 

Welcome to the community! I'd like for our support team to reach out for assistance. If you wish to be contacted, please send me a private message with your contact info.

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
Phlip
Initiate

Re: Orbi + Circle Filtering out most URLs

I'm having the same problem with Circle. Filtering random sites that should not be filtered on the adult filter settings. Forced me to change it to none. I would be a lot nicer if there was way to provide useful filtering instead of having to add each site independently to allow. It's not worth the hassle, so I just turned the filtering off for that profile.

Regarding the post asking the original poster to DM so that you can work on the problem with them, it would be really helpful to post the troubleshooting and potential solutions here in the forum. After all, isn't that the purpose of the forum?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 3 of 4
apdxb
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR 40 + Circle Filtering out most URLs

I have recently added a new device to our network and even though it is on an 'Adult' profile with no filters whatsoever - not time limits, nothing, when visiting sites from a google search, it insists that certain sites are filtered.  Either saying the whole category 'Health' or whatever is filtered or just that I've been filtered despite the settings being unfiltered...

I have tried rebooting the rooter, I have cleared cache, I have restarted my phone and my circle app, I have moved the device onto a different 'Adult' profile, I have moved it to an 'Unmanaged' profile, and yet it still says stuff is filterd!! How this can be when the whole profile is 'unmanged' is a mystery!!'

2021-03-24_14-55-59.png

Its absolutely doing my head in. It really feels that each time a new firmware or update is made on Orbi, circle goes into a tailspin and really can't keep up.  As I'm paying a large amount in subscription fees and I say over the last 12 months I've had it, its not worked correctly for at least 40% of the time.  

Would love to wallk away but difficult as I've made a substancial hardware investment...

the Circle firmware version is 2.1.8.9 and the router Firmware version is V2.5.1.22

I need this to work.  As I'm working from home 100% of the time I can't spend half my working day trying to decipher whats going on or having to switch parental controls off completly but then still spend half my day monitoring my kids internet and screen time use... 

Please advise.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7