Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Circle multiple problems esp. frequent internet drops

Karl1234
Guide

Orbi Circle multiple problems esp. frequent internet drops

I wanted to report on my experiences with Orbi/Circle for anyone trying to googling these problems.

I orirginally got an RBR50 back in July, Circle ran without any problems to early Jan (2021). It basically turned itself off and whatever I did to try and 'enable it' in the app would not work. I would get the message 'Circle can not be enabled' in an endless loop. I even tried Factory reset of the router+satellite.

(I should say there were minor problems in the 6 months, the app likes to give a 'network failure can not connect to server' periodically).

So total failure in January. I called Netgear customer support and got the runaround. 'Oh your 90 days of free technical support has expired, please pay $15 to get it'. Of course my view was since we bought the Orbi for the Circle that the product was defective and this was a warranty issue. They suggested taking it back to the retailer, which I did, and got a full refund.

So then I got another one (just over a week ago). Turned Circle on - yay it works! - but then I kept suffering from random internet disconnections.  )I can recommend the Chrome extension 'Internet Connection Monitor' for monitoring this.) I found out that the connection would randomly drop ~ every hour for a few minutes. Consistently. After a lot of regression testing and factory resets I found it was turning on Circle that caused this. (e.g. connection was rock solid for 24 hours, and then I had a dropout within 20 mins of turning on Circle). 

I found this (closed) topic discussing this - 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Circle-seems-to-be-randomly-killing-...

Well I am way past the suggested fixed firmware version (I am on 2.5.2.4) so it is still an issue. I do not have the 'Traffic Monitor' on.

This is a pretty dismal customer experience and I am not impressed with Netgear Circle. It seems there has been no follow through in making the firmware reliable and compatible with the Circle servers. (Perhaps it should have been a red flag as soon as I saw the app was called 'Circle 1st Generation). Sounds like Netgear has quietly conceded this themselves, as there is no sign of Circle on their new WiFi6 Orbis. Still the old ones were sold, customers deserve better.

If anyone has any new setting tricks to stop Circle randomly dropping the internet connection I would love to hear from you!

(I attach below a screenshot using the excellently simple https://dmishh.github.io/internet-connection-monitor-website/ so you can see how it behaves. There is NOTHING significant in the router logs when these dropouts happen. I tried a debug log but I could not see anything in there either, except a lot of messages about circle starting and stopping every few mins)

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
aussteyr
Star

Hi
I am also receiving the same problems as above and as those dns time-outs as described in the thread that was closed off.

I have Circle and armor on. I pay for armor so I cannot be expected to turn services off for things I pay for. I'm sure there are others out there that are paying the subscription for armor and also circle.

Netgear needs to fix this flaw given people pay for these services.
Is it possible the most recent firmware update has re-introduced the problem? I am running the latest firmware for Australia 2.6.1.40.
My product is currently not fit for purpose as it was marketed as being able to perform.
I look forward to the problem being resolved asap.

Thx.
Message 2 of 17
Karl1234
Guide

Hi Aussteyr

I've tried it with Armour off - same issue. I have also tried firmware versions 2.5.2.4 and 2.3.5.30 (a deliberate downgrade to see). None of these stop the issue.

It is good to know that v2.6.1.40 also does not fix the issue. It will save me from having to try that! Curiously the router does not offer me that version for automatic upgrade (I know how to do it manually) - maybe it is not official for Australia?

The only thing that stops it completely is disabling Circle. Then the internet connection is rock solid for days at a time. But Circle is the reason I bought the Orbi as opposed to some cheaper router.

thanks!

Message 3 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Karl1234,

I'd like for our support team to reach out for further investigation. May you send me a private message with your email and router serial number.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 17
aussteyr
Star

Hi Karl

Yes it seems that I am being totally ignored with regards to this issue. It also seems that this has been happening for many others as well and has been documented in other posts.

I have have this product for a few years now. It has had a number of good times and also a number of issues along the way. This one is by far the worst given there is really nothing I can do to fix it, other than to not use circle, or to switch to an alternative product. That is a last resort and drastic measure given the costs I've already sunk into this system.

I think those reviewing these products need to take into consideration the support provided by the vendor. It seems many on here are very annoyed with Netgear and its attempt to make people pay to remedy a product that is currently not fit for purpose when used with the settings as they are prescribed. Yes the parental controls was one of the main reasons I purchased this product as well.

This is shameful and unethical behaviour and Netgear needs to fix this problem asap!

Message 5 of 17
Karl1234
Guide

Thanks everyone.

Netgear support says they are going to call me, so I will report back if they solve it.

I have an update of sorts: I have now gone to the new firmware V2.7.2.104 on Orbi router and satellite and the nature of the problem has changed. I still get the dropouts, but now they only for 1-2 seconds every 1-2 hours. This is indeed more minor, and I probably only notice it due to my logging program. However it does cause issues such as Remote Desktop being disconnected (which my spouse uses for work from home).  It is likely that because the dropouts are now shorter, the logger might be missing most of them.

As before turning OFF Circle makes the problem go away completely. Very frustrating! We need this to be reliable, can't afford random disconnects, but we also bought the Orbi for Circle.

Karl

Message 6 of 17
aussteyr
Star

Hi
I have also updated to that firmware level yesterday. I shall monitor it over the next week. I too use virtual/remote desktop sessions so I will be keen to see how that goes.

The fact of the matter is that I purchased the orbi because it came with parental controls. Turning this off shouldn't be the resolution. I am considering putting a low power pc in my network and installing pfsense... again that's a last resort...
Message 7 of 17
aussteyr
Star

Hi all

Further to my last post. I wrote a powershell script to test the connection to the internet (www.google.com) and had it write all failures to a file.

As you mentioned Karl, it seems to dropping the connection more frequently but reconnects quickly. My virtual desktop yesterday lost connection but re-established connectivity most times, proving that the network drop out was very brief.
Message 8 of 17
aussteyr
Star

Here is a sample output of my file from today. As you can see it drops the connection every 4 seconds a few times then restablishes a continuous connection... this is not good for people like myself who use a remote desktop session to connect to work.

cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 09:52:54
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 09:52:58
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 09:53:02
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 09:53:06
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 09:53:10
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 09:59:30
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 10:07:55
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 10:07:59
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 10:08:03
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 10:08:07
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 10:22:55
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 10:22:59
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 10:23:03
cannot reach 8.8.8.8 02/16/2021 10:23:07

Message 9 of 17
Karl1234
Guide

If you turn Circle off does it go away?

Netgear support has been in contact, they had me try various things and run various debugs.

I will report back at the end of the process (the outcome is not clear yet)

Karl

Message 10 of 17
aussteyr
Star

Hi Karl
I used to use opendns that was supplied with orbi and didn't have a problem.
Its a shame they stopped providing it as an option.

It has to be something to do with circle and how it works.

Cheers

Rob
Message 11 of 17
snooki
Aspirant

If you were succesful in disabling Circle I would love to know how you did it. I have been unable to find the solution. I also am not very good at community group participation. So I look forword to your reply. Thanks in advance.

Message 12 of 17
aussteyr
Star

Can only be disabled via the browser as far as I know.

But its an on or off thing. And like most, if you bought the orbi for its parental controls, then that defeats the purpose of the purchase...

Message 13 of 17
Karl1234
Guide

Do you mean disable or enable? If you are looking for the switch then it is on the 'parental controls' of your router login webpage (orbilogin.com)

I have not yet 'successfully enabled Circle' in the sense that it works without problems, there are still issues I am working through but will post here what outcomes I get

Karl

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You can disable circle via the Orbi app>select Parental Controls which will open the Circle app:

image_2021-02-16_234744.png

Select Disable Circle...

Message 15 of 17
Jockster
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem.
When Circle enaabled Internet connection is lost rather frequently, and have simnilar liogs showing it.

Latest firmware an resets tried. Only current solution is to disable Circle.

Very anoying.

Anyone that has any news regarding this?

Message 16 of 17
Karl1234
Guide

I've been running firmware V2.7.0.70 for about two weeks now.

With Circle on I do find momentary dropouts - my monitoring tool sees 3-4  dropouts per day but they only last for < 1 sec. I probably would not notice them without the tool and so I will probably live with that for the benefits of Circle. It can give a momentary pause to a zoom connection but does not drop the connection for example.

It would be nice if Netgear fixed this though. I get the impression that they will not because they are phasing Circle out.

Karl

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7