Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK753 Parental Controls

arulks
Guide

Orbi RBK753 Parental Controls

It appears the new Orbi Wifi 6 Mesh Routers doesn't come with Circle Parental Control features... Not sure why? I'm currently using Google Wifi and looking to switch to the new Orbi Wifi 6 Mesh RBK753S (Costco Version). Does the Orbi Mobile App have a feature similar to Google Wifi to create a list of Kids devices and put them on a daily schedule for screen time? It allows to individually block devices.. but not automated schedule to block a group of select devices. As per my research, the Circle Parental Control device is not compatible with the latest Orbi Mesh routers. Please advise.

Message 1 of 15
dtay
Luminary

@arulks wrote:

It appears the new Orbi Wifi 6 Mesh Routers doesn't come with Circle Parental Control features... Not sure why? I'm currently using Google Wifi and looking to switch to the new Orbi Wifi 6 Mesh RBK753S (Costco Version). Does the Orbi Mobile App have a feature similar to Google Wifi to create a list of Kids devices and put them on a daily schedule for screen time? It allows to individually block devices.. but not automated schedule to block a group of select devices. As per my research, the Circle Parental Control device is not compatible with the latest Orbi Mesh routers. Please advise.

I'm in the same shoes.  Planning to upgrade from another vendor's AC1900 mesh system to either Orbi 753S or 852 from Costco and I have Circle Plus (with lifetime subscription).  I would think Circle Plus would work in "compatibility mode"?  If Circle Plus isn't compatible with the Orbi, then that's a deal breaker and I'd have to consider another vendor.

Message 2 of 15
MB_Love
Apprentice

As of right now circle does not work with Orbi AX. It is something that will be added. They just added Armor so hopefully Circle will be soon.
Message 3 of 15
arulks
Guide

They need at least add a scheduling features by a group of devices. That is a deal breaker!
Message 4 of 15
arulks
Guide

So, even if i purchase now, that feature will be added in my hardware?
Message 5 of 15
dtay
Luminary

@MB_Love wrote:
As of right now circle does not work with Orbi AX. It is something that will be added. They just added Armor so hopefully Circle will be soon.

Even in compatibility mode?  I know some Netgear routers have built in Circle but I don't need the integrated Circle in the router as I already have the standalone Circle Plus.

Circle's website still lists Orbi as being compatible but it didn't differentiate between the different flavors of Orbi, so I'm uncertain if it's accurate.

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022419752-Router-Compatibility-and-Circle-Home-P...

Message 6 of 15
MB_Love
Apprentice

You can turn off WIFI to specific devices. Not scheduled, but it only takes a second to switch a device off WIFI. I highly recommend the system. We are extremely heavy users in my house (have used over 1100 GB of data since 6/2) and my speeds are above what I pay for even with everyone playing/streaming.
Message 7 of 15
arulks
Guide

Manual turn off is an added headache for parents... especially for those who got used to automated scheduling by Google Wifi! You got to remember to turnoff else your kids will be happy playing all night long! 😃
Message 8 of 15
arulks
Guide

I checked with Netgear support and they confirmed new Wifi 6 mesh routers don’t support them yet!
Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Circle has it own forum, Please post about this in the Circle app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle
Good Luck

Message 10 of 15
arulks
Guide

Regardless of Circle, If Orbi has a feature to pause devices then how hard it is for them to just add scheduling to it? Why should we pay for Circle on top of that? Doesn’t make sense to me.
Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try the Orbi App for pausing devices. I don't use the app much however I see it has pausing functions. 

Lots of marketing and development involved when adding new features. 
Also have seen various problems with Armor and Circle apps. So I tend to steer away from these. My 2 cents. 

Message 12 of 15
RPhelps1
Guide

It is amazong to me that Netgear has gond so far down hill that they cant even add Parental Controls to the RBK753 model.  The cost of this until is rediculas as it has very little advanced features.  Will or can they add this in the future?

Message 13 of 15
Hesed2020
Tutor

Wanted to chime in also that this is a huge miss not to have Circle on their newest mesh router.  I came from Google WiFi and extremely surprised.  Hope a Orbi product manager is reading this.  (I work as one).

Message 14 of 15
dtay
Luminary

For those of us who have Circle Plus and using it with the Orbi AX units, it looks like Circle has updated their compatibility list on their website with the following information:

⚠︎ Orbi RBR750, RBK752, and RBK753 (Only compatible with Circle Home Plus, Use Compatibility Mode)
⚠︎ Orbi RBR850, RBK852, and RBK853 (We are investigating issues with these routers)

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022419752

The above two updates weren't there a few months back ago if I recall.

Earlier this morning, I noticed my 1 Gbps Fios network was literally *CRAWLING*.  Fast.com and speedtest were showing that the download speeds were less than 1 Mbps even though the Orbi speed test on the app showed it was fine.  But everything was lethargic and slow. Rebooted the RBR and both RBS (I have an RBK853) but that didn't help.  

As a hunch, I rebooted my Circle Plus device (running in compatibility mode) and that everything was back to normal after that.

I have reached out to Circle support for an update, and this is what they have to say. Per "Holden H. - Circle:

After looking into this, there currently is no update on this known issue or a ETA on this update. Once this issue has been updated we will also be updating it on our article as well."

I have requested them to escalate the issue.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7