Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR20 Dropping Internet Connection Every 24 Hours

bpolka
Follower

Orbi RBR20 Dropping Internet Connection Every 24 Hours

*** It was recommended that I post this here from another fourm as this information could be useful here as well...

I thought I would post this here as I spent the last few months trying to diagnosis and troubleshoot and issue I was having with my Orbi RBR20 with little success. My searches here found multiple references to the issue, but none of the recommendations seemed to help. Last week, while searching another forum (which I can't find for the life fo me) I found something that pointed me in the right direction and has seemed to fix my issue...

Issue: Every 24 hours the Orbi would lose WiFi and Ethernet connection to the internet. I know the internet connection was fine becuase I have a laptop that is on hardwired connection that bypasses the Orbi and it still worked. If I restarted the router manually, it would comeback on just fine, but if not, after a certain amount of time (usually 15 minutes) it would start working again. Almost exactly 24 hours later the same thing would happen. Most times we didn't notice it as this was happening at about 1:30a, but a few late nights in a row made me see it was definitely an issue. Tried the different firmware updates, configuration changes, etc. and nothing worked. I was just about ready to switch to a different router.

Solution: After reading something in another forum, I found that if I disabled "Circle with Disney Smart Parental Controls" in the Parental Controls section of the administration console, my connection no longer seems to be dropping and the connection seems more stable overall. I am not sure if it has to do with an update that was done to Disney Circle as i am pretty sure this worked OK in the past, but after about a week, everything seems to be working well.

Hopefully this post saves someone else from the hours of searching and frustration I endured 🙂 Thanks!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bpolka,

Thanks for sharing your experience as it may help others!

Best,

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
tcomp
Star

This seems very likely to be related to this known DNS problem with Orib/Cirlce:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-DNS-Issues/m-p/1912960#M92151

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
PSUHammer
Luminary

Indeed.  Netgear (Christian?) has indicated that they are aware of an issue related to Circle and are looking into it.  It is not resolved as of the latest .16 firmware.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7