Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 + Circle frequent DNS failures

Shahab
Apprentice

If we use the Orbi as an AP, will it still use the satellites?

Message 76 of 92
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 77 of 92
dbwiddis
Star

@Shahab wrote:

If we use the Orbi as an AP, will it still use the satellites?

Yep, that's how mine is configured now.  you get all the benefits of the satellites and high speed connectivity throughout your house, but you let another upstream router/firewall handle the firewall/DHCP/DNS stuff.  Let the Orbi do what it does best!

Message 78 of 92
Smge1lc
Guide

So in the last couple days, I found the orbi routers starting to stall on loading website and access to devices such as fire tv despite having shut down Circle.

So I bit the bullet and upgraded the firmware to the Voxel mod firmware.

I will keep you informed on issues or stability.

Message 79 of 92
Shahab
Apprentice

Netgear finally came back and said that there was an issue with my satellites and they gave me a beta firmware to update the satellites to.   Will see how it works out.

Shahab

Message 80 of 92
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

@Smge1lc wrote:

So in the last couple days, I found the orbi routers starting to stall on loading website and access to devices such as fire tv despite having shut down Circle.

So I bit the bullet and upgraded the firmware to the Voxel mod firmware.

I will keep you informed on issues or stability.

Message 81 of 92
FURRYe38
Guru

There is newer relase FW available as well:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061838/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-16

Let us know how it goes for you. If you continue to see problems, keep in touch with NG support. 

@Shahab wrote:

Netgear finally came back and said that there was an issue with my satellites and they gave me a beta firmware to update the satellites to.   Will see how it works out.

Shahab

Message 82 of 92
Shahab
Apprentice

For clarification purposes, I was originally having DNS issues because I had Circle enabled.  A few weeks back Netgear sent me a replacement router + satellite, I didn't enable Circle on the new equipment and my issue changed to my internet connection (over wi-fi) dropping altogether.   I updated firmware on both the router and satellite last night, Netgear wants me to do a factory reset as well, will do that later today and monitor the connection.

Contacting Netgear support is painful, I have been regularly updating my ticket on the support portal but that doesn't generate a callback from Netgear support.   Their phone routing system doesn't seem to be working properly, maybe because calls are now routed to people WFH.  Whenever I call and put in my case #, it still routes me to the home router support and not the Orbi department, so end up having to be transferred and waiting on hold again.

Shahab

Message 83 of 92
FURRYe38
Guru

With all the worldy events happening currently, NG has already metioned that there system may see delays and such. You'll need to keep in contact with them or keep in contact with there support ticket system there. "Due to COVID-19 we are still experiencing unusually high call volume. We are continuing to monitor t...Click here for our top support FAQs"

IF you continue to run in to problems, please post in a new forum post as the main issue with DNS and Circle for this thread has been resolved. So start something new so we dont' confuse your current situation with this new problem your seeing. 

If anything contact a forum moderator as well. @Blanca_O 

Thank you. 

@Shahab wrote:

For clarification purposes, I was originally having DNS issues because I had Circle enabled.  A few weeks back Netgear sent me a replacement router + satellite, I didn't enable Circle on the new equipment and my issue changed to my internet connection (over wi-fi) dropping altogether.   I updated firmware on both the router and satellite last night, Netgear wants me to do a factory reset as well, will do that later today and monitor the connection.

Contacting Netgear support is painful, I have been regularly updating my ticket on the support portal but that doesn't generate a callback from Netgear support.   Their phone routing system doesn't seem to be working properly, maybe because calls are now routed to people WFH.  Whenever I call and put in my case #, it still routes me to the home router support and not the Orbi department, so end up having to be transferred and waiting on hold again.

Shahab

Message 84 of 92
kgividen
Guide

What do you mean dns + circle has been resolved? As far as I know the only thing that works is turning of circle? Which isn’t really a resolution...
Message 85 of 92
FURRYe38
Guru

For this thread its a temporary solution. Which the OP marked it. Seems to work for now for most Circle problems seen. NG is aware of the CIrcle problem. 

For users with current and continue Cirdle problems, please post about anything Circle related over in the Circle forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Thank you. 

@kgividen wrote:
What do you mean dns + circle has been resolved? As far as I know the only thing that works is turning of circle? Which isn’t really a resolution...

Message 86 of 92
Smge1lc
Guide

Changed the firmware to vexel and it was going well so I added circle back to my mix of functions. Last night and this morning I started getting web loading issues again. Looks like DNS issues.

I shut off circle and reset. Let's see how this works.
Message 87 of 92
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya seems to be a Circle problem, even on Voxel FW. I would avoid using it until NG gets it fixed. 

@Smge1lc wrote:
Changed the firmware to vexel and it was going well so I added circle back to my mix of functions. Last night and this morning I started getting web loading issues again. Looks like DNS issues.

I shut off circle and reset. Let's see how this works.

Message 88 of 92
Smge1lc
Guide

So as my kids were ready to login into their online classes, their laptops had DNS conflics.  Interestingly, my desktop server plugged into my main Orbi router is fine.  Also, my desktop plugged into my RBK20 is fine.

However, IP6 in 192.168.1.1 is flickering...literally refreshing the screen 1x per second.  I just checked and it found its dns.

The kids laptop plugged into the RBS satellite is not getting DNS.  

... I am pulling my hair at this point.  It was dumb to turn circle on last night.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 89 of 92
FURRYe38
Guru

I would factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. This time, do not enable Circle or Armor. 
I would make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping with Circle not enabled. This will save you time if a reset is needed later on. 

You'll have to wait until NG gets the Circle issue fixed. 

@Smge1lc wrote:

So as my kids were ready to login into their online classes, their laptops had DNS conflics.  Interestingly, my desktop server plugged into my main Orbi router is fine.  Also, my desktop plugged into my RBK20 is fine.

However, IP6 in 192.168.1.1 is flickering...literally refreshing the screen 1x per second.  I just checked and it found its dns.

The kids laptop plugged into the RBS satellite is not getting DNS.  

... I am pulling my hair at this point.  It was dumb to turn circle on last night.

Message 90 of 92
Smge1lc
Guide

I took your advice and I did a router restore and all is good in the world, so far.

One thing I noticed is that IPV6 is turned off in default.  I had mine set to dhcp.  This created the issues with all things apple since they're the only ones that use IPV6 vis a vis IPV4.

But that also means that this router does a bad job with IPV6 and the only way to resolve it is to shut down the IOS ability to use IPV6 and downgrade to 4...

Whatever.  It works and my kids are surprised their mac and ios phones and working on the home wifi.  They tell me they've been using data.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 91 of 92
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear that the reset helped. I'd keep Circle disabled for now until NG gets this fixed. 

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

@Smge1lc wrote:

I took your advice and I did a router restore and all is good in the world, so far.

One thing I noticed is that IPV6 is turned off in default.  I had mine set to dhcp.  This created the issues with all things apple since they're the only ones that use IPV6 vis a vis IPV4.

But that also means that this router does a bad job with IPV6 and the only way to resolve it is to shut down the IOS ability to use IPV6 and downgrade to 4...

Whatever.  It works and my kids are surprised their mac and ios phones and working on the home wifi.  They tell me they've been using data.

Message 92 of 92
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 91 replies
  • 31 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7