Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 dropping internet 3 times a day, prob due to Circle?

fdwweebb
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 dropping internet 3 times a day, prob due to Circle?

I bought my RBR50 and RBS50 it worked well.  However a few weeks ago I noticed it started to drop internet a few times a day while the whole family was working from home or home schooling.  The sympton is just completely no internet and then back on in 1-2 min, it is not just wireless even my PC with LAN cable connected to RBR50 were dropped from internet.  I have a Synology NAS, I can see from the log roughly 3 times EVERY 24hours.  This was annoy because it interrupts conference calls on Skype and kids' zoom class...

Netgear technical support suggested me to change "Domain Name Server (DNS) Address" to 8.8.8.8 but I couldn't change it.  I was told that that's because I used Circle parental control.  (and It started exactly a few weeks ago).

So I tried to disable Circle 4 days ago...  and all the problems gone in last 4 days since then.  My NAS never reported disconnection even in midnight.  It sounds to me it is the Circle and DNS caused the problem?

I want to use Circle.  I am wondering whether my problem can be resolved if I change the "Domain Name Server (DNS) Address" to 8.8.8.8 first then re-enable Circle again?

I will try that.  If anyone had the same problem or know the solution, please kindly let me know here

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
vajim
Master

Please provide a history on your firmware

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

When using Circle, this disabled any DNS configurations changes on the RBR. Disabling Circle you would be able to change DNS. You might try different DNS, OpenDNS addresses or Cloudfare as well.

For Circle issues, please visit and post over in the Circle forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle
Good Luck

@fdwweebb wrote:

I bought my RBR50 and RBS50 it worked well.  However a few weeks ago I noticed it started to drop internet a few times a day while the whole family was working from home or home schooling.  The sympton is just completely no internet and then back on in 1-2 min, it is not just wireless even my PC with LAN cable connected to RBR50 were dropped from internet.  I have a Synology NAS, I can see from the log roughly 3 times EVERY 24hours.  This was annoy because it interrupts conference calls on Skype and kids' zoom class...

Netgear technical support suggested me to change "Domain Name Server (DNS) Address" to 8.8.8.8 but I couldn't change it.  I was told that that's because I used Circle parental control.  (and It started exactly a few weeks ago).

So I tried to disable Circle 4 days ago...  and all the problems gone in last 4 days since then.  My NAS never reported disconnection even in midnight.  It sounds to me it is the Circle and DNS caused the problem?

I want to use Circle.  I am wondering whether my problem can be resolved if I change the "Domain Name Server (DNS) Address" to 8.8.8.8 first then re-enable Circle again?

I will try that.  If anyone had the same problem or know the solution, please kindly let me know here

Message 3 of 14
fdwweebb
Aspirant

@vajim 

>2.5.1.16

normal

> start using circle

issues

>upgrade to 2.6.1.40

still issues

> disable circle

no more disconnections.

Message 4 of 14
vajim
Master

@fdwweebb wrote:

@vajim 

>2.5.1.16

normal

> start using circle

issues

>upgrade to 2.6.1.40

still issues

> disable circle

no more disconnections.

so I guess you're saying the last time you were stable was with 2.5.1.16...??

Message 5 of 14
fdwweebb
Aspirant

yes
@vajim
Message 6 of 14
vajim
Master

@fdwweebb wrote:
yes
@vajim

time to revert?

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Theres a long post some where in here or in the Circle forum that users post about having issues with Circle, on different versions of FW. You'll need to check with NG and or Disney Circle group and let them know what your having problems with. Even if you factory reset your system and Circle seems to be still causing problems, something NG and Disney needs to look into. 

@fdwweebb wrote:

Message 8 of 14
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Theres a long post some where in here or in the Circle forum that users post about having issues with Circle, on different versions of FW. You'll need to check with NG and or Disney Circle group and let them know what your having problems with. Even if you factory reset your system and Circle seems to be still causing problems, something NG and Disney needs to look into. 

or just go back to the last stable version and not worry 

Message 9 of 14
fdwweebb
Aspirant

Even the old version had problem after I started circle... this resulted in me upgrade it to the latest version.
@vajim
Message 10 of 14
vajim
Master

@fdwweebb wrote:
Even the old version had problem after I started circle... this resulted in me upgrade it to the latest version.
@vajim

so you've never been stable?

Message 11 of 14
fdwweebb
Aspirant

Thank you. I will search the post you mentioned.
Local support of NG actually told me Circle could cause problem and it was actually him who suggested me to disable circle and try 4 days ago...
Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to check into some OpenDNS services as an alternative for some parental controls. 

@fdwweebb wrote:
Thank you. I will search the post you mentioned.
Local support of NG actually told me Circle could cause problem and it was actually him who suggested me to disable circle and try 4 days ago...

Message 13 of 14
DatabaseJase
Luminary

We've been using Circle on our RBR50 for over 12 months and while it hasn't been issue free, most common issue is the DNS lookup failures, it hasn't impacted us greatly until this week.  Now we are also experiencing the "lost connection" where devices are unable to access the internet and kids report being kicked out of on-line games, game chats, etc.

This has only started this week so there is a new issue somewhere.  I have an external monitor setup on our broadband connection so I am able to prove that the internet connection has been active without interruption so the problem is internal to us.  As with @fdwweebb the interruption is just a few minutes (affecting all devices either wired or wireless) and disabling Circle makes the issue dissapear.

I have tried downgrading firmware from 2.6.1.40 --> 2.5.2.4 --> 2.5.1.16 and still the issue persists.  This is a new problem, that started this week, so for some reason the RBR50 is getting "stuck" verifying request with Circle.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7