Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 with Circle blocking all sites on school laptop

BT72
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 with Circle blocking all sites on school laptop

Hi folks,

My daughter's school laptop runs Windows.  It seems to operate via a school network which allows monitoring and control over app installation and some blocking of sites.

I'm running Orbi with circle app (version 2.1.12 (873)).  Unfortunately, when the laptop is assigned to her profile, she can't access any sites beyond the school's own 'schoolbox' site.  Blank page says "This page isn't working.  ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE".  When I make the device 'unmanaged', she can access anything.  Similarly, she can access most sites when physically at school.  And from home any site works from her personal iPhone or iPad.  She contacted the school's IT people and they said sometimes parental controls on a router can cause this problem - without offering her a solution other than removing controls.

I there anything that can be done here?  Is the net traffic going via some sort of VPN for all students to get onto the internet and circle or ORBI aren't compatible with that?  I'd really like to be able to set time limits etc. on the device and some granular control.

Many thanks. BT (Australia).

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
BT72
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 with Circle blocking all sites on school laptop

The other strange thing is that my son went to the saem school last year and his laptop didn't have the same problem.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I recommend you contact NG support and have them review this.

For now, disable Circle during the time frame the school resources is needed, then re-enable Circle afterwards. 

@Christian_R 

Message 3 of 5
BT72
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38

Sagecom modem.

Model: F@ST3864V3HP

Firmware: 10.108_F@ST3864V3HP_Optus

That connects to ORBI RBR50 plus satellite RBS50.

Firmware: V2.7.2.22

Am speaking to Netgear support.  They are struggling to resolve.

Seems to be conflict between school platform (which has some sort of filtering/management of its own, possibly using something called 'Roamsafe agent') and Circle/ORBI.

If I put the device into a circle profile with 'none' as the setting, it tends to access web ok.

But that seems to cripple or parental controls other than block/allow for the device.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds like NG is aware of it.

Is the modem in bridge mode or router mode? Your modem already has a built in router FYI.

@BT72 wrote:

Thanks @FURRYe38

Sagecom modem.

Model: F@ST3864V3HP

Firmware: 10.108_F@ST3864V3HP_Optus

That connects to ORBI RBR50 plus satellite RBS50.

Firmware: V2.7.2.22

Am speaking to Netgear support.  They are struggling to resolve.

Seems to be conflict between school platform (which has some sort of filtering/management of its own, possibly using something called 'Roamsafe agent') and Circle/ORBI.

If I put the device into a circle profile with 'none' as the setting, it tends to access web ok.

But that seems to cripple or parental controls other than block/allow for the device.

Cheers.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7