Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR852 Parental Controls

ulud
Guide

Orbi RBR852 Parental Controls

Forgive me as I go on a bit of a rant for Netgear's very questionable advertising / website tactics.  I recently purchased the flaghip RBR852 (base rbr850 + satellite rbs850).  I hooked it up and I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the capability, throughput, and reach of the system in my household when compared to the ubiquiti devices I'm replacing.  Fast forward 3 weeks and I noticed that the Parental Controls button in the app has since disappeared.  I dig a bit deeper and find that this "FLAGSHIP" $699 device doesn't have parental controls. That all said "truth in advertising" --- look at the screenshot I have attached that show the RBR852 with parental controls in the media.  It's not just there, pretty much everywhere on the Orbi section of the website shows the device I purchased with parental controls ---- shame on you Netgear!

Message 1 of 13
ulud
Guide

Message 2 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ulud, 

We're currently expanding out list of devices to support parental control features. Please stay tuned! 

Christian 

Message 3 of 13
jjpank
Tutor

Hi @Christian_R ,

Can you tell us more about when parental controls will be added to AX routers? I saw a post in January saying it was going to be coming soon, so I am feeling discouraged, and missing a feature that I need.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 13
pugximo
Guide

This is a critical feature that's been missing for 12 + months -  Can we get an update on this?  

Message 5 of 13
bspead
Guide

@Christian_R  - can we please get an update on this?  I am considering moving off of the Orbi line altogether at this point as it appears as though other than the "stay tuned" posts you have made on every thread that is worried about lack of parental controls, there has been no real update or progress in the last 6 months.

I would like to give the AX line a chance, but it isn't going to happen without Circle, and I don't have extremely long to wait before deciding what brand of mesh network I will be purchasing to replace my RBK50.

Message 6 of 13

Add me to the list of users looking for Circle app to be natively supported on an Orbi Router RBR850.   I would think a $700 product like this would have parental controls

Message 7 of 13

Is the Circle app even in Netgears plans to be supported natively in the RBR850 Orbi's?

Message 8 of 13
ulud
Guide

Fast forward 6 months later and I have your flagship product and 4 kids and NO parental controls that you've been promising.  I check for new firmware weekly.  I have had to fall back on Cloudflare DNS and Google's Family Link.

I am literally embarassed for Netgear, you guys suck.  Did you know that I even had to pay for Circle but I can't use it because you don't support it?  Ludicrous.

Message 9 of 13
ulud
Guide

I just noticed that ORBI is censoring the community and has removed my screenshots that show their false advertising.  The pictures I uploaded contained images of the parental controls in the RBR850 and 852 sales material and in the parental controls in my app installed on my phone while connected to my RBR852 system.

Message 10 of 13
ulud
Guide

For parental controls Orbi has been completely silent other than a post from @Christian_R to stay tuned - they told us to use Circle for the controls but there's no integration between circle and the router.  This means that devices not supported by Circle go completely unmanaged. At the end of the day, if my kids are on their school computers they still have full access to the internet because Circle + RBR850 has no parental controls on Chromebooks, Macs, or PCs --- I want to repeat that, "the parental controls are 100% lacking on computers if you own a RBR850".  

Moderator @Christian_R .... what gives?

I have filed a better business bureau complaint because I can't wait any longer and I want a refund of my $749 (tax included) + $99 circle subscription - all purchases were based on false advertising.  I'm going to buy the eero 6.

Message 11 of 13
ulud
Guide

@Christian_R --- any word on the parental controls that were removed from this router?  I'd like them back, it's stifling not having the appropriate controls that I purchased!!!

Message 12 of 13
ulud
Guide

Hey netgear, where are the images I uploaded with screenshots showing the advertised parental controls?  For anyone reading this, please recognize that netgear censored me and removed the images - they must not have liked that they showed their false advertising tactics.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7