Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 no parental controls

csilveira
Tutor

Orbi WiFi 6 no parental controls

So I am really surprised and honestly upset that the new WiFi 6 orbi does not have any parental controls whatsoever even though the website clearly states that it does. Is this a short sided mistake that will be corrected or what? If there are no parental controls like circle coming I will be returning.

Since the website states that parental controls are included I feel like I was misled in this purchase. I hope someone from Netgear has a good response and not some inane “here are the devices that support circle” link. The product description states parental controls so when are they coming?
Message 1 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AX does support Access Controls so I wouldn't say there is "no parental controls" on Orbi AX:

AccessControls.png

You'll need to post in the Circle forum to inquire about Circle:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Or contact NG about CIrcle support on Orbi AX. 
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/circle.aspx
https://kb.netgear.com/000044718/What-NETGEAR-routers-support-Circle-with-Disney

Good Luck. 

@csilveira wrote:
So I am really surprised and honestly upset that the new WiFi 6 orbi does not have any parental controls whatsoever even though the website clearly states that it does. Is this a short sided mistake that will be corrected or what? If there are no parental controls like circle coming I will be returning.

Since the website states that parental controls are included I feel like I was misled in this purchase. I hope someone from Netgear has a good response and not some inane “here are the devices that support circle” link. The product description states parental controls so when are they coming?

Message 2 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to look in to this as an alternative solution in mean time:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1907963/hi...

Message 3 of 28
csilveira
Tutor

Thanks for that. However, is there a timeline for parental controls on the Orbi 6? My current Orbi supports Circle, and I hoped that the new Orbi did as well. The website says the new Orbi supports parental controls so I expected that to be true.

If I have a timeline to look to maybe I will not return it. But if not then I will keep my current setup and return the new one with some amount of prejudice.

Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't make known of any timelines, if or when new features are forthcoming to Orib systems. Thus we don't have any information regarding this. 

There is Accessl Controls for now for Orbi AX. 

Message 5 of 28
ajneuman
Star

Access control and  parental controls are NOT the same thing. Access control only allows you to allow or block access. Parental controls allow you to define reasonable controls over specific devices such as content and scheduled access to the network. Not at all the same thing. 

Message 6 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about. 

Message 7 of 28
ajneuman
Star

Perhaps NG shouldn't advertise parental controls if they don't actually offer them. I also searched the community sites and you continue to suggest Access control whenever people are clearly asking for Parental controls so, perhaps you should either not comment or just tell people that Yes, NG does not offer parental controls for Orbi AX mesh systems. 

Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck then. 

Message 9 of 28
NGfalsead
Tutor

I agree. For a more premium device NG has NO parental controls whereas lower end device has it and Google offers them across the board

THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISING and Shameful

Will be returning and quitting NG for good if there is not a good response/clarity
Message 10 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck

Message 11 of 28
MecJnk
Aspirant

I just order the the Orbi system (CBK752) but I wished I would have noticed this forum first. For a premium $600 system and it not having adequate parental controls then it's not worth it for me. I thought that since the order system came with Circle parental controls that this one will too. I will be returning it as soon as I get it... unless, I can cancel my order before they ship it.

I had Netgear Cable/Router for over a decade. But it looks like Netgear is about to loose a loyal customer. This is very disappointing!
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 12 of 28
ajneuman
Star

Overall, I really like the router. It's been rock solid for me and trouble free the only complaint I have is that Netgear doesn't provide any real parental controls. If they included the Circle system with it, that would be amazing and I certainly hope they do because, I could use it. 

Message 13 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post over in the Orbi with built in modem forum for you model product:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

The CBR7 series is very new and probably doesn't include this feature and may later on. My CBK40 didn't come with Circle however eventually NG added it. 

For any Circle/Parental control support, please post in the Circle forum for that feature.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Thank you. 

@MecJnk wrote:
I just order the the Orbi system (CBK752) but I wished I would have noticed this forum first. For a premium $600 system and it not having adequate parental controls then it's not worth it for me. I thought that since the order system came with Circle parental controls that this one will too. I will be returning it as soon as I get it... unless, I can cancel my order before they ship it.

I had Netgear Cable/Router for over a decade. But it looks like Netgear is about to loose a loyal customer. This is very disappointing!

Message 14 of 28
Beckysfamily
Tutor

No parental controls at this price is ridiculous. Going back to  Best Buy today. Negative reviews on all platforms.

Message 15 of 28
amkahana
Aspirant

This is total crap. I’m returning the device. Can’t believe how much of my time was wasted on false advertising.
Message 16 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/td-p/2117202/jump-to...

@amkahana wrote:
This is total crap. I’m returning the device. Can’t believe how much of my time was wasted on false advertising.

Message 17 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v4-6-3-9-Released/m-p/21...

@csilveira wrote:

Message 18 of 28
ajneuman
Star

I complete agree that it’s unfortunate however, I’ve had the system for over a year so, they continue to mislead and deceive people. Ultimately, it’s been a very good system other than the lack of parental controls so, I’ve kept mine. There is a message in this thread that suggests a firmware update is coming soon that includes parental controls. I’ll be excited if that’s true.
Message 19 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

It is...

Message 20 of 28
ajneuman
Star

Do you know when it will be available?
Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

When what will be available? 

@ajneuman wrote:
Do you know when it will be available?

Message 22 of 28
Stolaas
Aspirant

The parent controls! Netgear’s website is full of advertising they have Circle on the new wifi 6 systems. I just bought a RBX 853 and was very aggravated that parent controls were not in the Home Screen on APP. I just took down my new TPlink which has the parent controls to switch to mesh with Netgear. 4 kids on the internet won’t be using this new mesh system unless there is parent controls
Message 23 of 28
ajneuman
Star

They have recently added New Parental controls. i just opened my Orbi App a few days and discovered it. It's not free though. 😞

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/Introducing-Smart-Parental-Controls/m-p...

Message 24 of 28
Stolaas
Aspirant

I don’t mind paying for it but, but mine is not showing yet. Just did a refresh of check for firmware update and says it’s up to date. However the firmware installed is: 3.2.18.1
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7