Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Parental Controls missing on RBR850

michaelm8718
Guide

Parental Controls missing on RBR850

I have seen other threads on this but I thought by now the features of Parental Controls will be available via Circle. I live in the UK and just installed my new ORBI AX6000 system today with 2 satellites. Unfortunately the parental controls are not available yet.

Mighty annoyed as the Parental Controls options are promoted on their website...the UK version that is. This set was over £1000 here so this is silly when other routers provide this for free. Any updates from anyone?
Message 1 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Circle app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

NG doesn't post when new features are forth coming. 

Good Luck

Message 2 of 32

Add me to the list of users looking for Circle app to be natively supported on an Orbi Router RBR850.   I would think a $700 product like this would have parental controls.

Message 3 of 32
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello NETGEAR Community,

Thanks for expressing interest in a Parental Controls service from NETGEAR. We are excited to share that we have been working on a new and improved NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls solution for the Orbi RBK750 and RBK850 Series and are aiming to have it ready for launch in the next few months! Please stay tuned for an update from us. 

Regards,

Christian

Message 4 of 32
varunparakh
Initiate

I appreciate NG working on it. But ETA of few months doesn't give any comfort that will be soon.

Message 5 of 32
Tomrisktom
Initiate

Re: Parental Controls missing on AX4200

Just wondering how I paid $600 for a router that is widely advertised as having parental controls when this is clearly not the case.  Ordered directly from the Netgear site and downloaded Orbi app and nothing there.  Had a Netgear Nighthawk, which was 3-400 dollars cheaper had this. What gives Netgear. This is fraudulent advertising.  May return this router.  Very disappointed.

Message 6 of 32
Tomrisktom
Initiate

Totally agree with this comment.

Message 7 of 32
503dav
Initiate

Hi Christian,

If I'm understanding you correctly, we're expected to be excited that Netgear is "aiming" to have parental controls ready "in the next few months" – over a year after I (and it seems everyone else here) purchased this system (for twice the cost of others with parental controls)? Apologies for seeming ungrateful, but this only illustrates either how oblivious Netgear leadership must be or how broken its consumer voice channel is.

There are a lot of angry customers out here, and this needs to be addressed by the product manager. It's not like this is a "nice to have"; it's table stakes to provide this feature, and it seems absurd that one of the most established brands in the industry doesn't get this and hasn't offered any solution or remedy by now.

We're all parents, trying to do our best to raise good humans without completely shutting them off from the only world they can relate to for the past year+. We're also early adopters and prosumers, which has to be your most important segment, because without us your products are a commodity. Also noteworthy: some of us just might be decision-makers in large enterprises who are currently planning how to support hybrid work after the pandemic, and might be in the market for literally thousands of routers...

I'm not here to "shoot the messenger," so don't let the product team hide behind you – please gather up all of these comments and escalate this to someone who can assign the right amount of devs/engineers to get it done before mid-June when school gets out. If Netgear is lucky, they'll retain some of us. If not, I'll just turn my Orbi gear off and give my kids the joy of smashing it on camera with a baseball bat, then post it with the hastag #smeshmyorbichallenge and nominate everyone else on this thread to join in.

Good luck and thanks for doing your job – I'm sure it's not easy.

Message 8 of 32
KLantz
Initiate

I regret buying the AX6000. They are fast and work well but I was led to believe parental controls would be available in “a few months”. That was 6 months ago and I’m still hearing in “a few months”. I have two teenagers and I have no control and should have bought another product with working parental controls. Hard to believe this isn’t available on a $600 product and I’m sure when something is available it will be an extra fee. Need some specific guidance Net Gear.
Message 9 of 32
FreikoB
Aspirant

Couldn't agree more; is a fantastic product from a perf PoV, comes at premium price; but the promises of Parental controls being almost ready, is something I hear since 1 year+...

Message 10 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Parental-Controls-missing-on-RBR850/...

As alternative for user who don't have control over there family members, you should look into OpenDNS controls for your system and management. 

Message 11 of 32
Cobbfamilyzoo
Aspirant

RBR750

Hey Christian!
When you have a moment, would you share where we are with Smart Parental Controls for the RBR750?
Message 12 of 32
Richie_Rico
Aspirant

Any updates on this??

Just bought myself a RBK850 series system and couldn't believe there were no parental controls.

Message 13 of 32
Richie_Rico
Aspirant

any instructions on how to set up Open DNS for rbk850? 

Message 14 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is said to be coming out with PC very soon. 

Check with the OpenDNS site support and information on how to setup there services on routers. 

@Richie_Rico wrote:

Any updates on this??

Just bought myself a RBK850 series system and couldn't believe there were no parental controls.

Message 15 of 32
ESciullo
Initiate

What is the ETA on the delevery of the new firmware that will support parental controls.

Message 16 of 32
GREG873
Guide

NetGear said the same thing last September. Do you mean it this time?

Message 17 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't post when new FW or features are forthcoming. Please be patient. 

@ESciullo wrote:

What is the ETA on the delevery of the new firmware that will support parental controls.

Message 18 of 32
Joshmill
Aspirant

Christian, it has now officially been “a few months” since your post. I also received that response from customer service back in January. The entire community is right in being outraged by the lack of commitment and clarity with respect to timing for Netgear’s parent controls on your PREMIUM products. I have had enough and can say with certainty that I will NEVER buy another Netgear product.
Message 19 of 32
Richie_Rico
Aspirant

It’s coming soon. It was just released for 700 series. 800 series is next.

I’m not worried about when it’s coming out. I’m more worried about what controls we have without having to pay a subscription. Weird the the linksys velop has their parental controls for free.
Message 20 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/td-p/2117202/jump-to...

Good Luck. 

@Joshmill wrote:
Christian, it has now officially been “a few months” since your post. I also received that response from customer service back in January. The entire community is right in being outraged by the lack of commitment and clarity with respect to timing for Netgear’s parent controls on your PREMIUM products. I have had enough and can say with certainty that I will NEVER buy another Netgear product.

Message 21 of 32
ekhalil
Master

I see that there is a new firmare for RBK850 to enable parental control. The firmware is v4.6.3.9.

I downloaded this firmware and installed it. The only "nasty" issue I see with this firmware is that wired satellites don't work. 🙂

Otherwise all is so far so good.

Message 22 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, are you able to downgrade back to v3 by chance? 

So ethernet ports on RBS become non functional after they were updated? Did you factory reset the RBS after the FW update? 

@ekhalil wrote:

I see that there is a new firmare for RBK850 to enable parental control. The firmware is v4.6.3.9.

I downloaded this firmware and installed it. The only "nasty" issue I see with this firmware is that wired satellites don't work. 🙂

Otherwise all is so far so good.

Message 23 of 32
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Just curious, are you able to downgrade back to v3 by chance? 

No, The satellites are ok to downgrade to v3, but I could not downgrade the router to v3.

Message 24 of 32
Richie_Rico
Aspirant

The update isn't live for me yet

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 31 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements