Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Parental Controls not blocking internet when time expired or device paused

bcracchiola
Initiate

Parental Controls not blocking internet when time expired or device paused

I recently started the Parental Controls subscription, and I have created profiles for my kids and added their devices.

I set up time limits and bedtimes for both of them.

However when my kids time limit is used up, I get a notification but the wifi does not get blocked for my kids devices.

Bedtime does not pause internet either.

Also, when I manually pause internet on a device, it does not work.  Internet (via WIFI) is still accessible on the device.

I've even tested by putting my own devices on a test profile, and that does not work either.

How do I get this working?

Message 1 of 5

Re: Parental Controls not blocking internet when time expired or device paused

We don't know what devices you are using, its firmware and other key details, so any answers here will be guesswork.

Is this Circle?

Have you tried this issue in the section given over to Circle?

Circle Smart Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 5
bcracchiola
Initiate

Ah sorry

I've got

Netgear CM600 modem

Orbi RBR50 mesh wifi with 2 satellites

No circle, but I have the Smart Parental Controls subscription and the Armor subscription.

The one thing I have not done is install the My Time app on my kids devices.

Is that necessary to block wifi when their internet time is over?  My understanding was that app was to block cell when away from wifi and for kids to see how much time they have left.

It seems logical that the wifi could be blocked on the router/wifi side without needed that app on the device.

I've restarted the router and wifi, no luck.

Any other suggestions?

thanks

Message 3 of 5

@bcracchiola wrote:

I've got

Netgear CM600 modem

OK. The CM600 is not a part of the process. Those controls are, as you say, a router side thing.

@bcracchiola wrote:

No circle, but I have the Smart Parental Controls subscription ....

That is Netgear's third foray into "parental controls. First we had the free version (now on its way out). Then we had Circle. Now we also have several versions of Smart Parental Controls.

I assume that this is what you are talking about:

What are the features of NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls and Smart Parental Controls Premium? | Answ...

and then:

How do I set up and install NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This means that this is probably the wrong bit of this place to seek help.

For a start the RBR50 isn't covered here.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

Then there is the separate section for this feature:

NETGEAR Smart Home Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

Sorry about the wild goose chase, but there won't be many people reading this who know anything about your device and this service.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you review this as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Missing-parental-controls-on-firmwar...

@bcracchiola wrote:

Ah sorry

I've got

Netgear CM600 modem

No circle, but I have the Smart Parental Controls subscription and the Armor subscription.

The one thing I have not done is install the My Time app on my kids devices.

Is that necessary to block wifi when their internet time is over?  My understanding was that app was to block cell when away from wifi and for kids to see how much time they have left.

It seems logical that the wifi could be blocked on the router/wifi side without needed that app on the device.

I've restarted the router and wifi, no luck.

Any other suggestions?

thanks

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7