Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Parental controls on C7000v2

lucliu
Aspirant

Parental controls on C7000v2

Hello all,

The C7000v2 cable modem I bought myself worked fine with the Parent Controls, and my service provider is Comcast. Recently it started to not. So I used the NETGEAR genie application to review the Parental Controls setting, then I got the following info, but the router firmware doesn't support the feature. Then I tried to check the firmware version, and it is V1.03.08, and is the latest version.

Anyone seen this firmware version V1.03.08 anywhere?

I reviewed the page https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod... it shows the firmware version for Comcast is V1.03.03.

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware or is there a way to make the Parent Controls working again?

Thanks.

2022-08-16 20_32_26-Window.png2022-08-16 20_33_18-Window.png

Message 1 of 8

Re: Parental controls on C7000v2

@lucliu wrote:

The C7000v2 cable modem I bought myself worked fine with the Parent Controls, and my service provider is Comcast.

Which parental controls?

There are various types of parental controls with their own sections in this community.

Circle Smart Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

or

NETGEAR Smart Home Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

Which products support NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

What subscription plans are available for NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Other devices support Circle:

Which NETGEAR routers support Circle Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Circle also needs a subscription.

What are the available service plans when using Circle Smart Parental Controls on my NETGEAR router?...

Open DNS backed out of the Netgear collaboration on free parental controls some time ago.

NOTICE: Live Parental Control Service based on Ope... - NETGEAR Communities

Netgear now offers various subscriptions for parental controls.

Which products support NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

What subscription plans are available for NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Other devices support Circle, another subscription service. But that too seems to be a moveable feast:

Which NETGEAR routers support Circle Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

There may be  more recent stuff out there. It is hard to keep up.

What is Live Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware ...

No.

Message 2 of 8
FR7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I noticed the same thing recently with my Netgear C7000v2 box and was unable to update the firmware to the version listed on the website.

Message 3 of 8

@FR7 wrote:

I noticed the same thing recently with my Netgear C7000v2 box and was unable to update the firmware to the version listed on the website.

You will have to talk to your Internet service provider. They don't want people like you, or Netgear, messing around with your modem's firmware.

It is one of the drawbacks of those modem/router combinations.

Message 4 of 8
lucliu
Aspirant

Currently I configured with OpenDNS nameservers on C7000v2 for parents controls. Its service is OK, but you can't configure with specific time intervals.

Message 5 of 8

@lucliu wrote:

Currently I configured with OpenDNS nameservers on C7000v2 for parents controls. Its service is OK, but you can't configure with specific time intervals.

That's what happens when you have combined modem/router. It is never going to be as versatile, or kept up to date, as a modem followed  by a stand-alone router.

In effect you are using the latest incarnation of the old free parental controls. Anything else needs a subscription.

Message 6 of 8
lucliu
Aspirant

What are the parents control options for Netgear C7000v2? Even with the subscription?

Or get a different cable modem/router that can do more?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 8

@lucliu wrote:

What are the parents control options for Netgear C7000v2? Even with the subscription?

Try asking the people who use it:

Other devices support Circle:

Circle also needs a subscription.

What are the available service plans when using Circle Smart Parental Controls on my NETGEAR router?...

And the people who use this modem/router.

Cable Modems & Routers

Or get a different cable modem/router that can do more?

What do you want to achieve with parental controls?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7