Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400v2 firmware update breaks Attached Devices and Circle history

ChrisJC
Tutor

R6400v2 firmware update breaks Attached Devices and Circle history

After the recent update to firmware V1.0.4.120_10.0.91, the router will not accurately report all connected devices. It only shows 10 devices out of at least 30 that I know are connected. The same is true in the Nighthawk app. I've restarted both the router and the app several times, but nothing changes. Also, after the firmware update the router stopped sending traffic activity to the Circle app. Each profile in Circle doesn't show any history after the firmware update. 

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R6400v2 firmware update breaks Attached Devices and Circle history

Have you factory reset the router and setup from scratch. I would not enable Circle after the reset. Just set up with out it and see if the attached devices list populates. You may want to power cycle your devices as well after the router is set up. 

Message 2 of 16
ChrisJC
Tutor

I really don't want to reset the router. I have too many port forwards and reserved addresses to recreate. 

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Save of a router backup config to file first:

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Reset, then setup from scratch with out loading the back up file. Check for the attached devices. Power cycle devices as well. 

Apply the backup config after checking your devices. 

Message 4 of 16
ChrisJC
Tutor

Ok, I finally got a chance to do a factory reset. Once the router rebooted all I did was change the names/passwords of the SSIDs to what they were before. I noticed that even though it was a factory reset, the router still automatically upgraded to the latest firmware. Having said all of that, the result was that both the desktop web interface and Nighthawk IOS app reported the correct number of attached devices (usually between 27 - 33). Everything seemed normal, the app could disable network access for individual devices, etc. So after a few days I restored the saved configuration. After rebooting both the web interface and Nighthawk app showed only 8 connected devices. I rebooted the router one more time and that number changed to 10. That's still nowhere near the actual number of devices that are connected. Circle automatically reconnected and is showing some activity, but I don't think it's showing everything.

So what could be the problem? 

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

"Having said all of that, the result was that both the desktop web interface and Nighthawk IOS app reported the correct number of attached devices (usually between 27 - 33). Everything seemed normal, the app could disable network access for individual devices, etc. So after a few days I restored the saved configuration. After rebooting both the web interface and Nighthawk app showed only 8 connected devices."

If the devices were all mostly showing before you restored from the saved configuration from file, then after you applied the back up and devices showed less, I presume the problem will be the back up configuration file. After you reset the router, I would have recorded a NEW backup configuration to file soon after the router was setup from scratch. 

Message 6 of 16
ChrisJC
Tutor

"I would have recorded a NEW backup configuration to file soon after the router was setup from scratch."

I didn't set up the router from scratch. All I did was change the SSIDs to what they were previously. I didn't add all of my port forwards and reserved addresses, etc. So I'm not sure what the purpose would be for saving the new configuration after the reset.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you mentioned that you did factory reset the router. After that you set up the SSID configuration and set ports and set IP address reservations. This is called from scratch. All was accounted and present at this point and working here. After that you said you re-applied the backup config from file and the problem re-appeared. So I presume that something in the configuration where you recorded your backup to file is causing problems. 

Message 8 of 16
ChrisJC
Tutor

"After that you set up the SSID configuration and set ports and set IP address reservations."

NO! I said I DIDN'T do anything other than SSIDs.

Message 9 of 16

I have the same issue.  I have read the responses to your post and there is no point in rearranging the world.  The issue remains.  I want to know how to report this to Netgear since their integration testing and/or configuration management was not strong enough to catch this bug before it messed up all of our routers.  I have also found that my WIFI attached printer drops out as unreachable (and has to be reinstalled every time) even though it responds to a ping.  How do we get this mess fixed?  Thanks for starting this question.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 10 of 16
Peobody
Tutor

There have been reported problems for the last two firmware versions, mostly related to DNS (I have reverted to v1.0.4.106 after both).  This is the first discussion where the restoration of a saved configuration is the suspected cause of a problem.  If this is indeed the case, what the heck is the purpose of a backup if you can't rely on it to do a restore in any scenario.  A complete configuration from scratch should never be required following a firmware update!  If a firmware is different enough that an existing setting will cause a problem then there should be a warning along with advice on how to address the issue before doing the update.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 11 of 16
ChrisJC
Tutor

@Johnmuledeere I ended up reconfiguring the router from scratch as well as reinstalling and configuring the Circle app on my phone and the problem still remailns. What a complete waste of my time! When I was speaking witht the Circle support people (not Netgear) they provided me with another support number that is supposedly specific to Netgear and Circle. I have to find that message and try to contact them. I'll follow up here with any status change.

Message 12 of 16
bouba1001
Aspirant

Alternative suggestion - I'm noting a difference from the number of announced 'attached devices' icon on the home screen and the listed detail of those attached devices. In my case 16 vs. 5 listed. When logging into my AP (WNDR3700v4) and compare the lists, I'm noting that only the devices with a reported device name are listed by the R6400v2; all those with a device name <Unknown> are not. This in turn leads to a secondary discussion on where the router gets the device name and determines the connection type. My PS4 shows up as wired with a device name on my R6400v2 whereas the WNDR3700v4 doesn't shos a device name but lists it under wireless (which is correct). Go figure.

--

R6400v2 (V1.0.4.120_10.0.91) as router & WNDR3700v4 (V1.0.2.102) as AP

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, WNDR3700v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 13 of 16
ChrisJC
Tutor

Even after the last firmware update the router is still not reporting usage data to the Circle app. I can't find the dedicated support number for Circle, so I'm not sure what else to do.

Message 14 of 16

Ver: 1.0.4.122_10.0.95 just downloaded to my R6700V3 and the mismatch between attached and allowed devices was resolved.  Issue closed in my mind.

Message 15 of 16
ChrisJC
Tutor

@Johnmuledeere wrote:

Ver: 1.0.4.122_10.0.95 just downloaded to my R6700V3 and the mismatch between attached and allowed devices was resolved.  Issue closed in my mind.

What about Circle? Are you using that?

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7