Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P - Circle- iPhones repeatedly join the network with a new MAC address after updating to iOS 14

dpage44
Aspirant

R8000P - Circle- iPhones repeatedly join the network with a new MAC address after updating to iOS 14

I have a Circle subscription that is installed on my R8000P router. It has worked well for about 9 months. Recently I have noticed the following:

I am getting multiple instances of the same iPhone after updating the iOS past 14.0. These instances of the same phone have different MAC addresses.

Phones that had an iOS version of less than 14.0 did not have this issue, but once they were upgraded they began to exhibit the same behavior.

Any thoughts?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
dpage44
Aspirant

Re: R8000P - Circle- iPhones repeatedly join the network with a new MAC address after updating to iO

I stumbled across the answer looking at other posts concerning iOS 14. The issue comes from the MAC randomization that was introduced in version 14. Tech Republic has a good article explaing it and how to turn randomization off.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-manage-or-disable-mac-randomization-in-ios-and-ipados-14... 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
dpage44
Aspirant

Re: R8000P - Circle- iPhones repeatedly join the network with a new MAC address after updating to iO

I stumbled across the answer looking at other posts concerning iOS 14. The issue comes from the MAC randomization that was introduced in version 14. Tech Republic has a good article explaing it and how to turn randomization off.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-manage-or-disable-mac-randomization-in-ios-and-ipados-14... 

Message 2 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dpage44,

Thanks for sharing the article and a link to the article.

Regards,

Christian 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7