Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX48 Smart Parental Controls Not Tracking Time

pjdowson
Guide

RAX48 Smart Parental Controls Not Tracking Time

Hi,

I have owned the RAX48 router for about a year and decided to start the free trial of the Smart Parental Controls on 10/13/2021.

Initially the time was not being tracked on the first day, I took it for a glitch as it was resolved after a reboot. 

I noticed that the Usage section of the app was not reporting any time under Apps & Websites, but was showing time reporting in Categories. I put it down to a glitch and since it was working, I wouldn't worry about it.

As of 10/26/2021, the router misreported tracking time for any of the profiles for my children on the network. 

Initially the time would track and then not pause access to the internet once a time limit was reached. We were seeing sites being accessed in the Usage section of the app, even after the time limit was reached.

This appeared to be resolved after a reboot, since the usage was then recognized and each profile was paused until the next day.

As of 10/27/2021, the router stopped tracking completely and showed that all profiles had 0 minutes of use. We are also seeing no usage tracked and I can only assume that there is no blocking on restricted sites.

To attempt to resolve this issue on 10/27/2021 I performed a firmware update to V1.0.4.100_2.0.64. I then created a backup of the router settings and performed a "Revert to factory default settings". After restoring the backup after the initial setup, I reconnected my app to the SPC and the profiles were loaded.

As I write this, there has been no traffic tracked on any of the children's profiles. There is neither time tracked, or usage tracked.

Ironically I had been happy with my experience up until now and was planning to pay for an annual subscription. Unless this can be resolved soon, I shall have to look into another solution.

Please let me know if there is anything I can supply to aid in the troubleshooting of this issue.

Thanks

Phil

Tagging for visibility: @DarrenM @Blanca_O

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
pjdowson
Guide

Re: RAX48 Smart Parental Controls Not Tracking Time

I appear to have resolved this issue on my own. 

The reset of the firmware, and subsequent re-enabling of Smart Parental Controls did not automatically re-link the devices on the network with thier respective profiles. 

After re-adding the devices to the profiles via the App, I was able to see usage and history being reported in the app.

There is still an issue where the usage section of the profile will not show time details for Websites & Apps, but does under categories. I submitted a separate bug report via the app for that issue.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
pjdowson
Guide

Re: RAX48 Smart Parental Controls Not Tracking Time

I appear to have resolved this issue on my own. 

The reset of the firmware, and subsequent re-enabling of Smart Parental Controls did not automatically re-link the devices on the network with thier respective profiles. 

After re-adding the devices to the profiles via the App, I was able to see usage and history being reported in the app.

There is still an issue where the usage section of the profile will not show time details for Websites & Apps, but does under categories. I submitted a separate bug report via the app for that issue.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7