Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK750 Smart Parental Controls Stopped Working (Paid Service)

orbi-adan
Star

RBK750 Smart Parental Controls Stopped Working (Paid Service)

Used my 30 day free trial for Smart Parental Controls on my Orbi RBK750. Thigs works great for the free trial. Decided to pay for the serives and recently noticed that it's no longer doing anything. Pausing my kids devices does nothing and it's no longer tracking any of the usage. Like it's literally not doing anyting. 

I already did the usual troubleshooting and no luck.

Anyone run into this issue / have a solution?

Orbi RBK750 

Firmware: V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
ellen2298
Apprentice

Re: RBK750 Smart Parental Controls Stopped Working (Paid Service)

That looks correct! You do the soft factory reset on the same page that you do the backup. When logged in you go to the Advanced Tab. Under Administration there is a link for Backup Settings. This is where you save a copy of current settings assuming you have made modifications and this is also where you Revert to Factory Default settings for the soft reset. I am attaching a picture of what the screen looks like. Good luck and let me know if it works for you! If it does I will likely switch my configuration around to make the 750 my primary router and the RBR50 as an access point. When I first bought the RBK753 there were no parental controls on it.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies

Same issue here. I've been trying to get netgear to figure it out.
Message 2 of 10
orbi-adan
Star

Can you please post here if NETGEAR give you a solution?

Man have had so many issues is my Orbi
Message 3 of 10

I sure can.....if I ever get one. I've emailed, them, tweeted them, sent them Facebook message...lots of avenues to bother them so hopefully something gets solved.
Message 4 of 10
ellen2298
Apprentice

I had the exact same issue with my  RBR50. Please read my long post that I had on a different question. I will paste it below. The bottom line is that once you paid, it glitched the system so the best thing to do is a soft factory reset from the web connection and reinstall the app too. It should then work after you activated it. Unfortunately you will have to set up the profiles again. Hope this helps. Suffered for many hours about 1 week ago.

Just for an update on my previous post on this thread. After hours of time waiting for support, in order for me to get the Netgear Smart Parental Control to work, I had to first do a configuration backup of my settings as it was customized, then did a soft factory reset of my router RBR50  through the web page, then  I had to install my backup of config settings. I did this all through the computer web connection, not the orbi app. I also then deleted the Orbi app and then reinstalled. Logged in and then activated the Netgear SPC. After setting up the profiles, it is now working. I actually like it better than Circle which I had been using for almost 2 years.

Recommendations that I learned the hard way assuming you know that you need the premium level features include:

1. Buy the premium immediately when you activate the trial because they give you 50% off the $69.99 for the year ( long story but it changes quickly to 30% off the yearly price within a couple of days even thought Netgear site advertising still 50% off)

2. Once you buy the premium, it may stop working because of a weird glitch. Rather than wasting all the time I did trying to figure out why it no longer worked after it worked during the trial, assuming it doesn't immediately work for you, do the config backup and the soft factory reset from the web connection as I described above and install and it should work for you-DONT INSTALL THE SPC BEFORE THE CONFIG BACK UP RESTORE OR YOU WILL HAVE TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN like I did. Changing the config backup after the SPC is installed glitched it again and I had to do the whole process all over again.

3. If you had trouble like I did getting the satellites to connect again, start immediately with connecting them wired first, then once connected/set up, unplug the ethernet to satellite and do sync wirelessly near your router. Once done then move to the correct location in your home

4. Don't waste any time trying to go back to the 2.6... version of the firmware just to get back Circle. Soon enough you will be automatically updated to the 2.7 version and lose Circle and back to square one. The Netgear SPC seems to work just as well and I like that it is within the Orbi app and not a separate one.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!! Hours of waiting on the phone just to reach support nearly killed me. I agree with the other posters here that there is way more complication for this than is necessary and a lot of nickel and diming after a forced firmware update. That said, I love the speed I have with my  RBK53 with piggy backed RBK753 for increased home coverage that I have. That said, if I am feeling brave, now that the RBK753 is supposed to have the SPC, I may switch my configurations since it is the better system but I am burnt out after this entire experience. I couldn't make it my primary system when I bought it since at the time it had no parental controls.

Message 5 of 10
orbi-adan
Star

@ellen2298 wrote:

I had the exact same issue with my  RBR50. Please read my long post that I had on a different question. I will paste it below. The bottom line is that once you paid, it glitched the system so the best thing to do is a soft factory reset from the web connection and reinstall the app too. It should then work after you activated it. Unfortunately you will have to set up the profiles again. Hope this helps. Suffered for many hours about 1 week ago.

Just for an update on my previous post on this thread. After hours of time waiting for support, in order for me to get the Netgear Smart Parental Control to work, I had to first do a configuration backup of my settings as it was customized, then did a soft factory reset of my router RBR50  through the web page, then  I had to install my backup of config settings. I did this all through the computer web connection, not the orbi app. I also then deleted the Orbi app and then reinstalled. Logged in and then activated the Netgear SPC. After setting up the profiles, it is now working. I actually like it better than Circle which I had been using for almost 2 years.

Recommendations that I learned the hard way assuming you know that you need the premium level features include:

1. Buy the premium immediately when you activate the trial because they give you 50% off the $69.99 for the year ( long story but it changes quickly to 30% off the yearly price within a couple of days even thought Netgear site advertising still 50% off)

2. Once you buy the premium, it may stop working because of a weird glitch. Rather than wasting all the time I did trying to figure out why it no longer worked after it worked during the trial, assuming it doesn't immediately work for you, do the config backup and the soft factory reset from the web connection as I described above and install and it should work for you-DONT INSTALL THE SPC BEFORE THE CONFIG BACK UP RESTORE OR YOU WILL HAVE TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN like I did. Changing the config backup after the SPC is installed glitched it again and I had to do the whole process all over again.

3. If you had trouble like I did getting the satellites to connect again, start immediately with connecting them wired first, then once connected/set up, unplug the ethernet to satellite and do sync wirelessly near your router. Once done then move to the correct location in your home

4. Don't waste any time trying to go back to the 2.6... version of the firmware just to get back Circle. Soon enough you will be automatically updated to the 2.7 version and lose Circle and back to square one. The Netgear SPC seems to work just as well and I like that it is within the Orbi app and not a separate one.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!! Hours of waiting on the phone just to reach support nearly killed me. I agree with the other posters here that there is way more complication for this than is necessary and a lot of nickel and diming after a forced firmware update. That said, I love the speed I have with my  RBK53 with piggy backed RBK753 for increased home coverage that I have. That said, if I am feeling brave, now that the RBK753 is supposed to have the SPC, I may switch my configurations since it is the better system but I am burnt out after this entire experience. I couldn't make it my primary system when I bought it since at the time it had no parental controls.

@ellen2298 wrote:

Thanks so much for posting. Just so that I'm clear. I'm clear on how to do a soft factory reset. 

1) You took a backup of your existing configurion

2) Deleted the Orbi Mobile App

3) Logged on the the Orbi Router UI and did a soft factory reset

4) Applied the configuration from step 1

5) Install the Orbi Mobile App and enable SPC. 

Does that look right? 

Also how do I do a soft factory reset from the Orbi Router UI?

Message 6 of 10
ellen2298
Apprentice

That looks correct! You do the soft factory reset on the same page that you do the backup. When logged in you go to the Advanced Tab. Under Administration there is a link for Backup Settings. This is where you save a copy of current settings assuming you have made modifications and this is also where you Revert to Factory Default settings for the soft reset. I am attaching a picture of what the screen looks like. Good luck and let me know if it works for you! If it does I will likely switch my configuration around to make the 750 my primary router and the RBR50 as an access point. When I first bought the RBK753 there were no parental controls on it.

Message 7 of 10
orbi-adan
Star

Thank you sooo much.  This worked and problem fixed. 

Message 8 of 10
ellen2298
Apprentice

That is great news! So happy to pay it forward. This forum has helped me multiple times with issues so I am really happy I helped you!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7