Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850/Circle parental app compatibility

kkbb850
Follower

RBR850/Circle parental app compatibility

I recently purchased the RBR850 thinking it would be compatible with the Circle parental control app only to find that there is no way to set it up with this system. I purposely bought what I thought was the top-of-the-line mesh network, but I have lost the ability to implement parental controls which I previously had with my old setup. Or am I missing something? Please advise...thank you!
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR850/Circle parental app compatibility

I think you are correct.  This product does not appear to include Disney Circle.  Notice that the Product Data Sheet touts the including of Bitdefender Armor, but makes no mention of parental controls.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK852.pdf 

You might check the community forus for Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle 

and the AX product: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

Maybe a user on one of those forums has an opinion of when (or if) Circle will become available on the AX product line.

Or... send it back.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AX is the only product models not supporting Circle at this time. 

@kkbb850 wrote:
I recently purchased the RBR850 thinking it would be compatible with the Circle parental control app only to find that there is no way to set it up with this system. I purposely bought what I thought was the top-of-the-line mesh network, but I have lost the ability to implement parental controls which I previously had with my old setup. Or am I missing something? Please advise...thank you!

Message 3 of 11
Bschoenbaum
Initiate

I purchased the same router and was surprised by the lack of parental controls. I spoke with customer service on another matter and they informed me that parental controls will be added to the RBR850 in a future firmware update. It was expected to have already been released, but due to the remote operations under the current pandemic, the project and release has been delayed. Let's hope it's soon, as the longer it goes the more unfettered access our children will be exposed to.

Message 4 of 11
ologearhead
Tutor

Hi Netgear

Can you provide an update for when the new firmware will be available?

Message 5 of 11

Add me to the list of users looking for Circle app to be natively supported on an Orbi Router RBR850.   I would think a $700 product like this would have parental controls.

Message 6 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello NETGEAR Community,

Thanks for expressing interest in a Parental Controls service from NETGEAR. We are excited to share that we have been working on a new and improved NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls solution for the Orbi RBK750 and RBK850 Series and are aiming to have it ready for launch in the next few months! Please stay tuned for an update from us. 

Regards,

Christian

Message 7 of 11
ologearhead
Tutor

Hi Christian

What about RBR850? Will the update to the RBK apply to the RBR? I wasn’t able to return it as I discarded the packaging. If only option for parental controls is RBK, I would be open to having it switched out for the RBK to resolve this issue. I purchased the RBR850 because it said it had parental controls and discarded packaging material because of my confidence in the products Netgear made. I have definitely learned a lesson.
Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@ologearhead wrote:
Hi Christian

What about RBR850? Will the update to the RBK apply to the RBR? I wasn’t able to return it as I discarded the packaging. If only option for parental controls is RBK, I would be open to having it switched out for the RBK to resolve this issue. I purchased the RBR850 because it said it had parental controls and discarded packaging material because of my confidence in the products Netgear made. I have definitely learned a lesson.

This is a semantic issue.  "RBK" is the part number for a package containing router (RBS) and one or more satellites (RBS).  This implies that the new Parental Controls product is supported on the RBx750 and RBx850 product lines.

Message 9 of 11
Kabrito
Aspirant

Hi - Any update on the firmware update to get Circle native on the RBR 850? 

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello NETGEAR Community,

Thanks for expressing interest in a Parental Controls service from NETGEAR. We are excited to share that we have been working on a new and improved NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls solution for the Orbi RBK750 and RBK850 Series and are aiming to have it ready for launch in the next few months! Please stay tuned for an update from us. 

Regards,

Christian

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 8 in conversation