Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Uncategorized Web Site Controls

pickpig
Aspirant

Uncategorized Web Site Controls

I like the Circle App generally and would keep my subscription but it has one part missing I think.  Does anyone see how to block uncategorized web sites.  Most evil software and some sites I would rather block have no category.  Furthermore, if the site has not been categorized, I am pretty okay with setting my kids filter and let them deal with any sites that are pending catgorization.  Heck, I would even help categorize the site if it meant that much to me. 

Blocking uncategorized sites is key to security.  Several companies have done this with success. I am hoping Circle can add that feature to future software and let me know when to come back and try it!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pickpig, welcome to the community! This is a great question. The link below may help out.

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001380992-Adding-and-Filtering-Additional-Platfo...

Dexter

Message 2 of 10
pickpig
Aspirant

I am not trying to add more items than I see or adjust the filter for those items found.  My request is to have a category called "Uncategorized"  

Imagine you are bad person X on the Internet who wants to get malicious content to your PC or your good content from your PC.  Maybe it is even more simple such as delivering content to your kid that would rather they not see.  In each of these cases, if I choose a URL or even just an IP address that is not in the list of items discovered so far by the product, the request will go through because the default action is to permit traffic if not filtered.  

The  feature on some alternatives allows for sites not categorized to  be dropped.  Actually, one can choose the action for such items not categorized but in my case, I want to block them.  As a result, the malicious call out from a PC to the site in XXXX country is not permitted to cause greater damage because it can not connect through the firewall.  

I hope this clarifies the feature I hope this product will incorporate and that other products already have available.  

Message 3 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, I see, I think creating a custom filter for the sites (uncategorized) that you know you want to block can partially help out (steps are on this link). However, the feature might be limited (will not drop uncategorized sites).

Message 4 of 10
pickpig
Aspirant

You are correct about making custom features to block particular sites. This does solve a different problem if your child is purposely going to a particular site that a parent will find in appropriate.  Well, I guess even that may not work great if the site morphs periodically to avoid detection. However, the problem I am trying to solve are those nasty links that go to IP addresses or url's that are made up for the goal of delivering malicious content and are not put into a category.

Message 5 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

I believe this is something that can be best discussed with the Circle support team for them to look into. You can find their contact info on the link below.

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001382172-Contact-Circle-Support

Dexter

Message 6 of 10
pickpig
Aspirant

I started through the support page which redirects a person to the support system for the router. The individual here confirmed the feature does not seem to be there an wished me a good day.  Not having a good path to talk with Cicle support or developers, I turned to the community in hopes to catch someone's eye.

Message 7 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

I see. Have you tried reaching them through the channels below? This may get you to the right support team.

Dexter

Message 8 of 10
pickpig
Aspirant

I did not do I have a Circle device becuase I am running it on an Orbi.

Message 9 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

You can try using their support channels just for you to reach their support team even though you don't have a Circle hardware.

Dexter

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7