Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unmanaged device in Circle

steinarness
Follower

Unmanaged device in Circle

My boy has dicovered that deleting the wifi network on his phone and then reconnect will move is devices from managed device to unmanaged device in circle. It there a way around this? This trick is way too easy and should not work!! 

Model: Dual Band
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unmanaged device in Circle

@steinarness wrote:

My boy has dicovered that deleting the wifi network on his phone and then reconnect will move is devices from managed device to unmanaged device in circle. It there a way around this? This trick is way too easy and should not work!! 

Do you have his phone in the Advanced Tab->Setup->LAN Setup where each time it connects it gets the same IP address?

(Confession: I do not use Circle, but no one has volunteered a solution so far.)

Message 2 of 4

Which Orbi device are we talking about here?

Have you tried this issue in the section given over to Circle?

Circle Smart Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@steinarness wrote:

Circle will not move a device to unmanaged devices by reconnecting to the wifi. No way!

Seems that your boy is smarter than that! 🙂 The only way add a device as unmanaged device in Circle is by making the device use a different MAC address. Seems that your boy is either reconnecting through a repeater that you have at home or if the device uses different MAC addresses for different bands or some other way to change the MAC address.

The solution is simple, you will get a notification on Circle for every new device that joins the network, just add that new device (new MAC address) to the boy's devices, at some point he will get out of ideas to get new MAC addresses! 😄

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7