Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XBox still works during bedtime and time limits settings

dawsobr
Follower

XBox still works during bedtime and time limits settings

Hello -  I just setup Circle for my home network and all appeared to work as expected. Network devices are being limited as I would expect but my son's Xbox is not being managed quite right with Circle. If my son is playing a game (Fortnite) and a time restriction (Bedtime or Time Limit) is activated, his game is not interrupted and he can continue to play during these off hours as long as he does not restart his game. Voice chat and game continues to work without issue. If he exits the game then he is unable to reconnect.

Any reason the Orbi/Circle device is not shutting the streaming apps down as expected when the time restriction is activated?

Message 1 of 16
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dawsobr,

Welcome to the community!

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 2 of 16
rlep64
Initiate

Hi Dexter -

I'm planning to setup my XBox in a similar way.  Could you please post the response?

Thanks,

Rob

Message 3 of 16
ToniBoll
Initiate

Hello - I have my Xbox connected to my Orbi home network. I also have it hard wired because after installing the connection seems choppy - the Xbox games tend to freeze. I LAN connected the Xbox and have a wired connection - was hoping I could use Circle to manage the Xbox but nothing seems to be working. I can see the Xbox and the MAC address matches what is shown in the Xbox settings but no controls (pause, time limits) seem to work. Please advise on how to resolve this - the main reason for my Orbi investment was to manage screen time on the Xbox. THnk you

Message 4 of 16
leonpr
Aspirant

Two questions for the group:

Does Circle have a way to communicate to my teens the amount of time they are using or have used?   Limits seem to 'sneak' up on them.  If they can see usage it will help them mangage their online time more efficentily and reduce conflict at my house.

Is it possible to bypass Circle on my Orbi RBK40 and use the wifi  without a device showing up in the Orbi app?  He has been changing his MAC addresses and that worked until I caught on.  I have VPN on Circle turned off but still think he may be using one somehow?

Thanks,

Preston

Message 5 of 16
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Preston,

Welcome to the community!

You can have your kids install the MyCircle app linked below:

Android

iOS

Also, the link below may help out.

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001381931-Stopping-Bypass-Attempts

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 16
MajorSnarl
Aspirant

I would like to see the official answer from Netgear as well. I have an Orbi system with Circle Home Plus (not with Disney) and have the same problem with an Xbox session continuing past the bedtime or even a time limit set.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 16
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @MajorSnarl, to confirm, you are using a separate hardware for the Circle Home Plus and not the built-in Circle with Disney feature, correct?

Dexter

Message 8 of 16
MajorSnarl
Aspirant

Correct. Circle with Disney is not enabled.
Message 9 of 16
rlep64
Initiate

On my system, I am using the the Circle with Disney app directly with the Orbi.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 16
MajorSnarl
Aspirant

Good to know and I'm sure it works fine for your purposes. We have two adolescent boys that we want to also monitor their mobile devices even when they're off the home network and you can't do that with Circle with Disney.
Message 11 of 16
yeahman
Tutor

Hi there,

I have the same problem. I'm using Circle with Disney (circle 1st gen is says on the app) - circle firmware version 2.0.8.9 - however i have same issue  as above.

i've created a device group with both the hardwired & wifi MAc of my xbox one - and i can't seem to get it to obey it's bedtime - this was the primary reason for signing up for this software - please can you help me asap

Thanks

Andy

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 12 of 16
MajorSnarl
Aspirant

Good luck on getting a reply on this here. #ghosttown The only thing I found to help was to set the time limits on the Xbox child account.

Message 13 of 16
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @MajorSnarl, apologies for the very delayed response. I missed your response. As you have confirmed, if you are using a separate Circle hardware it is best to reach out to the Circle support team. You can reach them on their support channels below.

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026372892-Contact-Circle-Support

@yeahman, you can do the same if you are also using a separate Circle hardware.

Dexter

Message 14 of 16
yeahman
Tutor

Hi Dextor

Thanks for the info - that link is dead, but I didn't fiddle it and find their support area - I'll log a call there, however I don't actually have circle hardware - i've purchased the software and it runs on my android phone  - in combination with my orbi mesh.

Please help me to find the answers to this issue

Thanks

Andy

Message 15 of 16
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @yeahman, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7