Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Something went wrong" after router reboot

capnjosh
Aspirant

"Something went wrong" after router reboot

Hardware Version: RBR50

Firmware Version: V2.7.2.104

Operation Mode: Router

Circle premium features disappeared last week, as did the ability to pause internet for any/all devices.  I initially thought it was another time when I needed to "restore purchases" on my iOS Circle app.  That didn't do anything.

Then I thought my Circle subscription may have run out, so I re-upped for an annual subscription.  That didn't do anything.  Then I noticed my existing subscription had not yet expired, so now I see 2 Circle - Netgear subscriptions in my Apple subscriptions page.

So I did a router reboot, but that didn't do anything, so I did a router shutdown-and-leave-powered-off for awhile.  That didn't do anything.

Then I noticed the Netgear Parental Controls tile in my Orbi app.  I figured that may be related so I activated the trial, just to see.  That's when I realized Netgear Parental Controls and Circle may be entirely separate systems, since it now has a free trial through July 5th, 2021.  I had just subscribed for a year of Circle, and I'm not that interested in switching everything up, especially since the features are not quite fitting what we want.

I noticed the mention about Netgear Parental Controls in the following thread, and that makes me suspect I have found an edge case where I may be stuck:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Circle-quot-Something-Went-Wrong-quo...

At this point, when I launch the Circle app it says I need to activate Circle on my Netgear device.  When I do that it says "something went wrong", and bounces me back to the page that says I need to activate Circle on my Netgear device.

What can I do to get Circle to "just work" again?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: "Something went wrong" after router reboot

Do you see parental controls on your RBRs web page under the Basic Tab, left side in web browser? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Missing-parental-controls-on-firmwar...

Message 2 of 6
capnjosh
Aspirant

No, I don't see "Parental Controls" in the Basic tab in the Web UI.  I don't see any reference to any kind of "Parental Controls" anywhere in the Web UI (Basic or Advanced tab).

Just to reiterate for convenience:

Router Firmware Version: V2.7.2.104

Based on the thread you linked to, I suspect I'll need to do a factory reset and try setting the router up again from scratch.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try that, if you dont' see parenal conctrols on the Basic Tab list, try looking for enabling it under Advanced Tab/Security.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Missing-parental-controls-on-firmwar...

You may see a Upgrade to Smart Parental Controls here as well. 

Let me know if you don't see this...

@capnjosh wrote:

No, I don't see "Parental Controls" in the Basic tab in the Web UI.  I don't see any reference to any kind of "Parental Controls" anywhere in the Web UI (Basic or Advanced tab).

Just to reiterate for convenience:

Router Firmware Version: V2.7.2.104

Based on the thread you linked to, I suspect I'll need to do a factory reset and try setting the router up again from scratch.

Message 4 of 6
capnjosh
Aspirant

Well, I finally did a factory reset, but it's all the same:

- "something went wrong" when launching the Circle app and trying to enable it on my router

- I don't see any Parental Controls in the web GUI

- The new Netgear Parental Controls app seems to be what I'm stuck with

Pretty weak to have made a change like this, seemingly out of the blue.  I had no idea such a thing was brewing.  Granted, I'm not paying close attention to the all the latest Netgear and Orbi gossip.

I guess I'm out $50 on the annual Circle subscription, and I have to use the Netgear parental controls system that, while seemingly good, is a change I didn't really have much interest in making.   Life is hard 😄

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so Circle won't work if it's not activated on the RBR and since you don't see it on the RBRs web page, try this:

I had to do same thing to get PC back here. I followed that process and got Circle working again. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7