× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HOWTO: Crashplan on RN312, running OS 6.0.6

mountaindude
Tutor

HOWTO: Crashplan on RN312, running OS 6.0.6

Just got a RN312 and would like to run Crashplan on it.
There are various instructions for this, for earlier ReadyNAS products, for example http://www.shasam.net/blog/2012/3/21/crashplan-on-the-netgear-readynas-x86.html

I just cannot get it to work on the RN312 though... OpenJDK installs fine, as does Oracles ditto (with some tweaking).
But the Crashplan installer just fails to recognise that there is a supported Java environment.
Before diving into the CrashPlan install script I thought I'd check here to see if someone has succeeded in this setup?

Thanks
Message 1 of 13
mountaindude
Tutor

Re: Crashplan on RN312, running OS 6.0.6

Ok, looking into this myself as well..

Looks like the built-in version of cpio (i.e the one that comes with RN out of the box, which is BusyBox cpio) is not playing nicely with the CrashPlan install script.
The install script calls cpio with a '--no-preserve-owner' parameter, which makes cpio fail, with the effect the subsequent parts of the script fail too.

Installing a fresh version of cpio (using "apg-get install cpio") doesn't work, complains about cpio already being in another package:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/cpio_2.11+dfsg-0.1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/bin/cpio', which is also in package busybox-cpio 1:1.20.0-7.netgear2

Oh well... let's see what happens.
Message 2 of 13
mountaindude
Tutor

Edit: You should also move CrashPlan's log and cache files, description on how to do that found here: http://wp.me/p2HTnk-5F

Got it working.
It took some minor tweaking of the default 6.0.6 setup, nothing major though. Everything in the NAS software seems to be working as it should, and the CrashPlan software running on the NAS is backing up to the central CrashPlan servers since a few hours now.

Full write-up at http://wp.me/p2HTnk-2Y

/G
Message 3 of 13
edalquist
Apprentice

Re: HOWTO: Crashplan on RN312, running OS 6.0.6

Awesome, thanks for posting the walk through. I'll be ordering a 104 soon and I'll give this a try.
Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

edalquist wrote:
Awesome, thanks for posting the walk through. I'll be ordering a 104 soon and I'll give this a try.
I suggest getting an RN3xx (or an RN5xx) if you want to do this. Crashplan uses a lot or memory, and the RN104 only has 512 GB.
Message 5 of 13
mountaindude
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
edalquist wrote:
I suggest getting an RN3xx (or an RN5xx) if you want to do this. Crashplan uses a lot or memory, and the RN104 only has 512 GB.

Oh yes... good point. I just checked and CrashPlan seems to be using ca 500 MB right now on my 2GB RN312. Admittedly, it is rather busy sending data to CrashPlan central servers, but still.
Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Its using about 1 GB on my pro.
Message 7 of 13
mountaindude
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
Its using about 1 GB on my pro.

Wow.. that's quite a lot. But I guess the good news is that Crashplan will most likely adapt to whatever memory is available. I have successfully used it on 512 MB servers, so it is possible. Other processes might suffer though, of course.
Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Well, I had to increase the memory usage (by modifying its startup script) because I ran into this issue: https://helpdesk.crashplan.com/entries/ ... nd-crashes
Message 9 of 13
ScottChapman
Apprentice

mountaindude wrote:
Ok, looking into this myself as well..

Looks like the built-in version of cpio (i.e the one that comes with RN out of the box, which is BusyBox cpio) is not playing nicely with the CrashPlan install script.
The install script calls cpio with a '--no-preserve-owner' parameter, which makes cpio fail, with the effect the subsequent parts of the script fail too.

Installing a fresh version of cpio (using "apg-get install cpio") doesn't work, complains about cpio already being in another package:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/cpio_2.11+dfsg-0.1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/bin/cpio', which is also in package busybox-cpio 1:1.20.0-7.netgear2

Oh well... let's see what happens.

This is where I am currently stuck. Any ideas?
Message 10 of 13
mountaindude
Tutor

@ScottChapman, did you check out the write-up I did at http://ptarmiganlabs.wordpress.com/2013 ... 312-hello/ ?
I think I got all the needed steps in there, and others have also confirmed that this instructions has worked for them. Give it a try!
Message 11 of 13
ScottChapman
Apprentice

mountaindude wrote:
@ScottChapman, did you check out the write-up I did at http://ptarmiganlabs.wordpress.com/2013 ... 312-hello/ ?
I think I got all the needed steps in there, and others have also confirmed that this instructions has worked for them. Give it a try!

Ooo... Excellent!

Out of curiosity. I get the replacement of BusyBox-CPIO with the core CPIO, but I am not sure I understand the dpkg reconfigure you do before and after. Wouldn't the apt-get work without doing that step?

also, you don't restore the busybox-CPIO after the install, was that intentional?
Message 12 of 13
mountaindude
Tutor

ScottChapman wrote:
mountaindude wrote:

Out of curiosity. I get the replacement of BusyBox-CPIO with the core CPIO, but I am not sure I understand the dpkg reconfigure you do before and after. Wouldn't the apt-get work without doing that step?

Hmmm... it's been 6+ months since I wrote that.. IIRC the dpkg-reconfigure debconf (setting level to dialog and medium) was needed in order for the configuration dialogs of the following steps to actually output something to the screen. The default debconf level was set low in order to allow for silent installs, I guess. But as said - I don't quite remember the details.

ScottChapman wrote:
mountaindude wrote:

also, you don't restore the busybox-CPIO after the install, was that intentional?

Well, I replaced the pre-installed (busybox specific) CPIO with the standard CPIO from the Debian repositories. It seems to work... I guess (hope!) the Debian CPIO is a superset of the BusyBox CPIO - if that's the case we should be fine.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements