× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How are apps started/stopped from the shell?

djbii
Aspirant

How are apps started/stopped from the shell?

howdy, I'm running a readynas 314 with the latest OS 6.5.1 and I was wondering how the apps that I've installed are started and stopped via the command line (shell). Are they all systemctl 'under the hood'? How are apps started automatically at boot time?
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How are apps started/stopped from the shell?

It is beneficial to the RN314. At this stage we'd expect it to be available on the update server sometime this week.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The latest firmware is actually ReadyNAS OS 6.5.2 which is now available!

We use systemctl for starting and stopping apps, as well as other services, yes. systemd service files are helpful for configuring things so that services start in the right order and for making sure that dependencies (if any) are running.

So you could use commands such as:

# systemctl stop fvapp-plexmediaserver

# systemctl start fvapp-plexmediaserver
# systemctl status -a fvapp-plexmediaserver

# systemctl restart fvapp-plexmediaserver

Starting and stopping things using SSH (like all changes using SSH) would be at your own risk. There are options in the GUI for starting and stopping apps. Though using SSH can be helpful for e.g. diagnosing why a service is failing to start if you can't get enough information when downloading the logs.

Message 2 of 5
djbii
Aspirant

Good news. Thanks for the info. I have installed an app but its not auto starting at boot (subsonic 6). Knowing where to look for logs etc is very handy. I'll also look at the latest version of the OS 🙂
Message 3 of 5
djbii
Aspirant

It appears the latest version of the OS is not being offered to my RN314 when I press update firmware. It appears its not so important for the RN314 anyway? I have installed a newer version of subsonic (v6) on my system but it doesn't auto boot so I have to press [On] on the app page to get it started. I wanted to look under the hood and try to work out why its not auto starting. Knowing that all the apps are systemctl helps 🙂
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is beneficial to the RN314. At this stage we'd expect it to be available on the update server sometime this week.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements