× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do do you modify bind-address in my.cnf without SSH ?

Korky
Aspirant

How do do you modify bind-address in my.cnf without SSH ?

How do I modify the my.cnf file and specifically the property “bind-address = 0.0.0.0 “in order allow connections to MySQL from another PC, without having to SSH into the box and edit the file using vi?  

The reason is that I am still under warranty and have been told that enabling SSH voids my readynas warranty so would ideally like to do this without putty or SSH ideally through PHPMyAdmin ?

Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is this config file stored on the data volume? If not, then SSH or using a config backup would be the only way.

Enabling SSH does not void your warranty, but if in our opinion you have caused problems through using SSH we may deny support or require per incident support to look into it (depending what the issue is).

Modifying the config file for MySQL and then restarting the MySQL service using systemctl shouldn't be an issue. Doing things that fill your root partition, lead to accidental file deletion or something like that is an entirely different matter.

If you do use SSH, the best thing would be to ensure your backup is up to date (you should do this regularly anyway, but if you have SSH enabled it is even more important)  so worst case you can factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore your data from backup.

Message 2 of 4
Korky
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm, I think I will just enable the SSH and be done with it. 

I can't remember how i enabled the SSH on my previous Readnas Duo but i am sure i will be able to find out through this forum.

Just in case things go wrong, is there a system restore without wiping all data on the readynas 516?  Without checking i remember on my old NAS there were two options, one for restoring to factory and the other for restoring configuration files only (OS files).

Failing that are there system files I should be backing up on the nas to a usb stick which can then be used in case of system failure to restore files ?

Your help is much appricated.

Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On OS6, SSH is a built-in service under System > Settings > Services.

On legacy devices it is enabled by installing the EnableRootSSH add-on.

There is still the OS Re-install option, but this doesn't wipe the OS. All this does is reset some settings (e.g. network adapter settings and the admin password) and install the OS over the top of itself. So it may do nothing to help with a SSH mishap and may even make the problem worse.

If you filled the OS partition and the system couldn't be accessed via SSH then the problem would need to be looked at via a low-level debug mode.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements