× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: HowTo: Install VBox Synology DSM 4.2.3202 onto x86 Ready

MattyShack
Tutor

HowTo: Install VBox Synology DSM 4.2.3202 onto x86 ReadyNAS

XPENOLOGY DSM 4.2.3202
--------------------
VIRTUAL MODEL: DS3612xs

Are you worried that the new ReadyNAS 100,300, and 500 series means EOL for you current x86 ReadyNAS?
Are you worried that features of ReadyNAS OS6 will never make it into your current x86 ReadyNAS?
Is your system running fine, so you don't really have the need or desire to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade?

Then, thanks to VBox, give your older ReadyNAS product the same capabilities (if not more) as the new ReadyNAS line.
Netgear and QNAP have better hardware, but Synology has many times more free apps and a better graphical web browser interface.

Synology User Manual: http://www.synology.com/support/download.php?lang=enu&b=12%20bays&m=DS3612xs
Modified Firmware Image:

http://kuai.xunlei.com/d/heVkBwKQPAA.cFJR954
    http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=352918&uk=1193824219

You must have an operational VBox Host Server installed onto your ReadyNAS for this to work.

*** Setup a Synology VBox Guest running on your ReadyNAS VBox Server
1. Create Guest VM:

A. General[Basic]: Synology, Linux, Linux 2.6 (64 bit), 512MB
    B. [Do not add a virtual hard drive] at this time: <Create>
    C. System[Motherboard]:Base Memory[512MB], [x]Hard Drive, [x]CD/DVD-RPM, [x]Floppy, Chipset[PIIX3]
    D. System[Processor]: [x]Enable PAE/NX
    E. Display[Remote Display]: [x]Enable Server, 12MB Video Memory
    F. Storage: Controller [IDE], Type [PIIX3]

1. Attach Primary/Master: Flash Image ~ DS3612xs_3202-Repack.vdi
      \-> create DS3612xs_3202-Repack.vdi using VBOX: $ VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VDI DS3612xs_3202-Repack.img DS3612xs_3202-Repack.vdi
      2. Attach Secondary/Master: VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

G. Storage: Controller [SATA], Type [AHCI], Port Count [6]

Create and Attach 6 Virtual Disks: SynologyVirtualDisk1 .. 6
      These Virtual Disks will hold your Synology operating system.
      Synology can also link to remote shares. This means you can remote link to your ReadyNAS Shares.

H. Network: Adapter 1/2 -> [x],[Bridged], [x] eth 0/1, [Deny]

Advanced: [Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop]
      MAC: Set MAC to match the mac address of the DS3612xs_3202-Repack.vdi image [00113208D62A/B]

I. Optional: You can also tie a VBox VM to a Physcal HD. The VBox VM will take control and reformat as if it were directly connected to a PC running the installed OS.

1. Example in Windows: Open DOS Window as Administrator
      \-> C:\ VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "C:\Users\Downloads\NAS\Synology\DS3612xs\synoHD.vmdk" -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive1 -register
      OPTIONAL: (The '-register' option should have done this part) VBoxManage storageattach Synology --storagectl "SATA" --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium "C:\Users\Downloads\NAS\Synology\DS3612xs\synoHD.vmdk"
      2. Example in Linux: Must provide the actual /dev/sdx. In this example sda was used
      \-> $ VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ~/.VirtualBox/Machines/Ubuntu.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -register

2. <Start> Synology VM
3. Download and install the Synology Assistant (Windows PC App)
4. Run the Synology Assistant. It will scan and display the IP of any Synology NAS devices running on your network.
5. <Click> on the displayed Device then <Click> on the above [Connect] Icon to go to a web portal.
6. Load the "DS3612xs_3202-Repack.pat" file from your PC when asked. This is a modified version designed to work with VBox.
Message 1 of 29
chirpa
Luminary

I tried putting DSM directly on the NAS, not inside VirtualBox. But it looks like they don't have NIC drivers for the on-board Marvell 😞
Message 2 of 29
MattyShack
Tutor

You should try again with the above modified DSM. Others have added more kernel drivers to support VBox and many other motherboards. Chances are, the Marvell driver is included in these modified, but not in the stock Synology images.

When you flash the SMI, are you saving a copy of the vpd file or are you rebuilding it from scratch? If you can share, I'd like to know how to rebuild it from scratch.

Thanks,
Matt.
Message 3 of 29
chirpa
Luminary

Thanks for the alternative link, I tried to get DS3216-3203 off XPe previously but the Google Docs page its hosted on wants auth granted to get it. Besides that, tried the older 3161 with no luck, as well as the Qnology 3203 based on DS2411+.

I'll give this image a spin tonight. viewtopic.php?p=389470#p389470

I'm overwriting the SMI, I don't need to save the VPD, I can rebuild that myself if needed later on; easy enough to back it up first if needed.
Message 4 of 29
MattyShack
Tutor

Thanks for the link, didn't know that OS6 was already being discussed. Funny, I just saw NetGear's announcement this morning and had the exact same thoughts. As a matter of fact, I've already written scripts to modify the ReadyNAS boot menu and roll a new initrd for flashing the SMI on my ReadyNAS Ultra. My original intent was to add boot menu options; create a new md0, backup md0, restore a backed copy of md0 or create a chroot - all using the menu buttons. I had success with the backup, restore and chroot, but could not figure out how to erase md0 and create a new one as if factory default was selected without disrupting the /c/ share or loosing data. I estimate I had about 80% but couldn't figure out the last 20% so this project has been on the back burner.

Changing topics. If the modified DSM loads, how do you plan to access the ReadyNAS OLED and buttons? As far as I can tell, the NV6 GPIO code is missing from GPL. According to the Warwick site:
The front panel display and the 'Backup' buttons are accessible by means of a kernel module. They will build with make -C /usr/src/linux M=`pwd` modules but won't insert into any recent distribution kernels as they use sys_open and sys_write symbols which are not (and should not be!) exported.
Message 5 of 29
chirpa
Luminary

The LCD is easy enough, its just a serial device. http://nexentastor.org/boards/9/topics/ ... ssage-8241

The button will need some GPIO sniffing to find the interrupt.
Message 6 of 29
MattyShack
Tutor

Remember to hex edit the vender file and update grub.conf to match your ReadyNAS MAC and Serial before flashing the DSM image onto the SMI.

I figured out the usb copy button - pretty easy. Still working on the power button. Any recommendations on erasing and restoring md0 as if a factory default was performed?
Message 7 of 29
chirpa
Luminary

MattyShack wrote:
Any recommendations on erasing and restoring md0 as if a factory default was performed?
To keep data volume, maybe start here: viewtopic.php?p=375300#p375300.

If /.os_install exists, it will factory default on boot, erasing the data volume also. if /.os_update exists, it will cause an OS Re-install.
Message 8 of 29
tiranor
Aspirant

You are both crazy, but in the noblest meaning of the word !
Message 9 of 29
chirpa
Luminary

tiranor wrote:
You are both crazy, but in the noblest meaning of the word !
I prefer eccentric 😉
Message 10 of 29
MattyShack
Tutor

My Doc says it's OK to chat as long as I stay on meds and don't touch.
Message 11 of 29
chirpa
Luminary

Okay I tried 3202, still can't detect it with the Assistant tool.
Message 12 of 29
MattyShack
Tutor

Thanks for the feedback. I may give it a shot once I finish transferring files, but may take a few days.
Message 13 of 29
interested
Tutor

Chirpa .... did you manage to detect Synology ???

I did try it out, but only on my Desktop Computer.
Message 14 of 29
chirpa
Luminary

I gave up on it. Getting rid of any ReadyNAS units I have.
Message 15 of 29
interested
Tutor

chirpa wrote:
I gave up on it. Getting rid of any ReadyNAS units I have.

Chirpa, You dont mean so, probably was not the right time...

I also think in this direction, but the hardware is fine, user support is great, everything else is unfortunately ... not worth mentioning

So I have a proposal to adjust the DSM 4.2.3202 that will run on x86 devices, of course for a certain amount of money.

Like I always say - Nothing is for free in this days.

Dont you think, that we all lose too much if we sell the hardware, it would be cheaper to invest in the second system.

This would be great.

What do you think ????
Message 16 of 29
dildano
Aspirant

I'm coming to this thread really late, but I'm hoping that someone can help with a couple of questions:
- What do you get from running DSM in a VBox VM?
- Did anyone get DSM running properly (natively) on an x86 ReadyNAS?

I've got an upgraded Pro Business (CPU, RAM, VGA header), and I'm coming to the realization that no one is developing new add-ons for my unit anymore, and even the outlook for OS6 appears to be bleak. Synology appears to have a wealth of add-ons, so I'd love to get DSM up and running on this thing.
Message 17 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What add-ons would you like to see made for 4.2.x which are not currently available?
Message 18 of 29
dildano
Aspirant

OpenVPN Client. Updated versions of other add-ons like nzbget. It seems like most development has shifted over to OS6.
Message 19 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well it looks like the nzbget add-on hasn't been updated for years, years before ReadyNAS OS was released. So One could hardly put that not being updated to the release of the new OS.
Message 20 of 29
dildano
Aspirant

Fair enough, but my point still stands: development for older devices has slowed down dramatically.
Message 21 of 29
dildano
Aspirant

MattyShack, this is probably a stupid question, but how do you get DiskStation to see a share on your ReadyNAS? I see where you can create a share on the DiskStation, but I'm not sure how to map to a share somewhere else.

Thanks!
Message 22 of 29
MattyShack
Tutor

I don't have this currently running, but if memory serves me correctly:

1. Make sure the interested ReadyNAS directory can be seen and reached from any PC on your network. I'm using Windows 8 Pro, so typing \\IP_of_ReadyNas\Interested_directory into Internet Explorer should open a window to access its contents.
2. Make sure you can add/delete files and directories from IE.
3. DiskStation's Web File Manager uses java. Make sure your PC has Java installed and your browser supports it.
4. Access the DiskStation web interface file manager and create a remote link/map to your ReadyNAS directory. You should give it full access permissions. Also, make sure you set it to automatically remap at boot. I gave my DiskStation's link a different name so that I would remember whether I was assessing the ReadyNAS share directly or the DiskStation remote map. ie ReadyNAS = "backup" while the remote directory using DiskStation = "Network_backup".

\\IP_of_DiskStation_VM\remote_directory = \\IP_of_ReadyNas\local_directory

If everything works, you should be able to store files directly into the ReadyNAS Shares from your DiskStation VM. So you could, for example, run SABnzbd in the VM, but store all files on the ReadyNAS. NOTE: I've found that the python usenet apps do require lots of VM RAM and work best with multiple dedicated cpu cores if you want them to work well. If you are running VBox on a stock ReadyNAS with original CPU and memory, you will likely have problems running complex apps inside of a VM.
Message 23 of 29
dildano
Aspirant

Thanks! I was able to map to one of my ReadyNAS shares, and it appears to be working properly. Now I just need to learn the in's and out's of DiskStation. I'm hoping that my Pro will put up with it since I upgraded the CPU to an E6600 and installed 4GB of RAM. I appreciate all the help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon. 🙂
Message 24 of 29
dildano
Aspirant

Oh! And I already have one: How do you install the VBox Guest Additions? I haven't figured that out, and I'm not even sure if I need them.

Thanks!
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements