× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MediaTomb for ReadyNAS Ultra

hamvil
Aspirant

MediaTomb for ReadyNAS Ultra

Hi,

I've finally managed to run MediaTomb on my ReadyNAS Ultra 4. With the current setup I can stream any video to my PS3. Subtitles are supported but only as external srt or sub file (that must be named exactly like the video file with the exception of the extesion that can be either srt or sub).

I've also made a bin package for readynas. Before installing it you must enable ssh access and install a few external dependecies:

apt-get update
apt-get install libfreetype6 ttf-dejavu ffmpeg lsdvd

Then you can download the bin package from:

https://github.com/rriggio/MediaTomb4Re ... 2.1-10.bin

and install it from the web interface.

The package contains three executable:

(1) MediaTomb, the actual DLNA server
(2) mencoder, used for transoding video and audio to formats that are supported by the PS3
(3) mediainfo, used to extract infomation from the video file (such as codec and resolution)

A transcoding script borrowed from:

http://www.vanalboom.org/node/16

is used in order to understand if the video and audio shall be streamed to the PS3 or if it must be transcoded. In the later case the format used is mpeg2. Notice that if a subtitle is found the video is always trancoded since that is the only way to deliver subs over DLNA.

After installing the package you will see a new section in Addons -> Installed. This section, named MediaTomb, contains a single button that redirects to the MediaTomb configuration interface (that is quite straightforward).

Finally, this mess between etch packages and lenny packages is a nighmare, for example the development version of the freetype package is from debian etch while the freetype package is from lenny, which make impossible to install libfreetype6-dev using apt-get.
Message 1 of 24
yupsolo
Aspirant

Re: MediaTomb dor ReadyNAS Ultra

wow! thx!

I'll try later this weekend!

🙂
Message 2 of 24
hamvil
Aspirant

I've uploaded a new version of the package. Now it supports multiple external subtitles.

Basically you place video (avi, ogm, mkv, mp4) and subtitles (srt, sub) in the same directory and you make sure the the subtitles are named according in the following format:

videoclip.avi
videoclip.srt
videoclip.en.srt
videoclip.it.srt

In your PS3 you will see 4 entries: one avi and three subtitles. If you play the avi file you will get the default subtitle track, i.e. videoclip.srt. Instead if you play the third or the forth entry you will get the subtitles in either english or italian.

Notice that if the file videoclip.srt is not available the videoclip could be streamed without transcoding (if the codecs are supported by the PS3) which should improve the video quality. Instead if you use subtitles the video is always transoded.

Tested on a readynas ultra4 (firmware 4.2.19) and a PS3 slim.

R.
Message 3 of 24
yupsolo
Aspirant

got this error!!

nas-8B-2D-9C:~# apt-get install libfreetype6 ttf-dejavu ffmepg lsdvd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package ffmepg
Message 4 of 24
hamvil
Aspirant

There was a typo, the correct name of the package is ffmpeg.
Message 5 of 24
Swoofah
Tutor

Any tests to see how the Ultra4 handles transcoding of 720p / 1080p ? Great effort non the less!
Message 6 of 24
hamvil
Aspirant

Preliminary "tests", that is trying to play some movie, are disappointing.

For example I was trying to stream a movie with resolution 1280x720, but mencoder can generate up to 20/21 frames per seconds. So the Ultra 4 cpu is too slow to handle such content. Notice that mencoder was already compiled with yasm (without the framerate was 10/12 fps)

In order to get a smooth playback I must use an HORIZONTAL resolution of 512 pixel.

Well I should have bought the Ultra Plus or maybe with the money I saved I could buy a Boxee 🙂

Does anybody know if it is possible to replace the atom CPU? Is it soldered or it is on a socket? What about overclocking?
Message 7 of 24
dib
Aspirant
Aspirant

This option sounds great for me. I cannot play all my videos on Bravia - codecs are not suppported. Also subtitles are not supported by Bravia.
Have you found any solution for performance issues?
Message 8 of 24
yupsolo
Aspirant

can't get it working...

I can hint that during the apt-get install libfreetype6 ttf-dejavu ffmpeg lsdvd, it talks about some dependencies... it does'nt update

I'll post the result.
Message 9 of 24
hamvil
Aspirant

Well yes the seeing the output would be usefull
Message 10 of 24
yupsolo
Aspirant

here's:

nas-8B-2D-9C:~# apt-get install libfreetype6 ttf-dejavu ffmpeg lsdvd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
ffmpeg: Depends: libavcodec0d (>= 0.cvs20060823) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libavformat0d (>= 0.cvs20060823) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libsdl1.2debian (>= 1.2.10-1) but it is not going to be installed
libsigc++-2.0-dev: Depends: pkg-config but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libstdc++-dev
squeezeboxserver: Depends: sox but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libvorbisenc2 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libvorbisfile3 but it is not going to be installed
ttf-dejavu: Depends: defoma but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Message 11 of 24
yupsolo
Aspirant

thanx for any help
Message 12 of 24
hamvil
Aspirant

Well it seems that there some difference between my repos and yours. I do not have access to my readynas, but as far as I remember I;m using the default configuration for APT. Maybe I;ve also activated the backports repo. In order to do so you must uncomment a line in the apt configuration file. It should be in /etc/apt/sources.

I;m using a readynas ultra 4 with firmware 4.2.19.

R.
Message 13 of 24
yupsolo
Aspirant

thanx for the help, I'll check that tonight.

hope to get it work.

if not, I'm done with all hopes of geting a decent media player with subs on my readynas...

I,ve spent soooooo many hours on PS3MS last summer!

😞
Message 14 of 24
hamvil
Aspirant

This is my sources.list:

deb http://www.readynas.com/packages 4.2.19/

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian etch main

The file is in /etc/ept/

R.
Message 15 of 24
hamvil
Aspirant

I've uploaded a new version of the MediaTomb package which adds a select field in the frontview interface that allows you to specify the video quality. This is particularly useful if you stream your video over wifi.
Message 16 of 24
adrenalinedj
Aspirant

Thanks for this add-on...

How can i obtain a SPARC version of this addon?
If not available, how can i make it ?

I really need and add-on which be able to re-encode and stream some MKV to my Xbox 360... ;o)
Message 17 of 24
geggog
Aspirant

Yep, a SPARC version would be most handy ...
Message 18 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sparc CPU is not powerful enough to re-encode stuff.
Message 19 of 24
taylarr
Aspirant

MediaTomb for ReadyNAS Ultra

So, I have several Web apps that Ill be installing, and I was wondering since I have the database running on the same server as Apache and the Web apps, could I specify unix://path/to/socket/file instead of localhost?

I think theyre all PHP apps. Theres another app that might be using Perl for something. Im not sure. Using localhost isnt an issue. Id just prefer using a socket if I can.
Message 20 of 24
cmassey
Guide

Link appears to be dead, any chance to re-upload?
Message 21 of 24
deniTHOR1
Aspirant

Can someone please upload the mediatomb bin package again?
Message 22 of 24
fastfwd
Virtuoso

It's still in hamvil's GitHub. The most recent version of the addon, from August 2012, is here: https://github.com/rriggio/MediaTomb4ReadyNAS/raw/master/MEDIATOMB/Mediatomb_12.bin
Message 23 of 24
deniTHOR1
Aspirant

Thank you for the link.It looks like there is no id3 support for mp3 audio compiled since this release was intended only for video streaming?
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements