× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PPtP Client issues on ReadyNas Duo

tomi17250
Aspirant

PPtP Client issues on ReadyNas Duo

Thanks to the HowTo wrote by kraney (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=33132) I was able to set a PPtP client with the pptp-linux package on my ReadyNas Duo and thanks to the inc HowTo (http://www.incubus.co.uk/?p=506) I can successfully connect on a VPN. Quickly, after connecting to the PPtP server i set the route to the PPtP server:
route add $pptp_server gw $my_local_gateway dev eth0

And for enabling full tuneling:
route add default dev ppp0

Saddly I can successfully ping the pptp server (with the eth0 device) but cannot ping anything on net (or the pptp server with the ppp0 device). I suspected a port forwarding issue but it seems that iptables is not usable on this kernel, so i do not know (with my very little knowledge) how to verify this.

I am open to all suggestions...

notes:
1) I tried to enable ip_forward (just for see): nothing changed
2) the pptp server works perfectly with the default pptp client on my win7 computer
3) the default route for 192.168.1.0 stay for keeping SSH connection open
Message 1 of 3
kraney
Aspirant

Re: PPtP Client issues on ReadyNas Duo

There shouldn't be any need to use iptables on the readynas, it works just fine without it. I suspect your problem is on your client side since it works from windows.

The tools you'll want are traceroute on your client side, and tcpdump on the readynas. Using tcpdump you should be able to see if packets from the client are arriving. You need to determine if it's the client packets that aren't making it to the readynas, or the server responses that aren't making it back to the client. Since you'll be remotely logged in to the readynas, you'll want to run tcpdump with a host filter to filter out your ssh traffic, like 'host not <where I logged in from>'.
Message 2 of 3
thefa
Aspirant

Re: PPtP Client issues on ReadyNas Duo

Hi,

Would anyone be able to post some details on how to run a pptp client on a ReadyNas Duo? I sense that most of the explanations here should take me where I want but since most of the examples/guides are for server setup, I was wondering if someone who did setup pptp "as a client" on a ReadyNas would be able to explain how he did it?

Thanks,
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements