× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PS3 Media Server for ReadyNAS PRO

igor_dulatov
Aspirant

PS3 Media Server for ReadyNAS PRO

I have made addon PMS for readynas pro. it support transcoding in realtime (mkv can play at PS3).
Addon include java, mplayer, mencoder, ffmpeg, tsmuxer and PMS. If anybody want to test it - download link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/300889849/PMSforReadyNAS_1.1.bin.html
MD5: BFFA401DB01BDD66EDAB1102836AD094

Transcoding is very slow... and size of addon very big. I have no time to correct it and finish the project, but if anybody want to finish - this link to source code of addon:

http://rapidshare.com/files/300911467/PMSforReadyNasPro1_1_src.tar.gz.html
MD5: 8917B42FBB6EAE7718A742ED3D916ABC
Message 1 of 157
igor_dulatov
Aspirant

New version 2.1:
http://rapidshare.com/files/323589916/PMSforReadyNAS_2.1.bin.html
MD5: F15F3F94C2D92654E70E3FC0427DB7C6

MKV now in realtime (only some 1080p movie can be slow, but you can change config of PMS for downgrade quality of the video)
Addon include
Playstation 3 Media Server (PMS)
mplayer, mencoder, ffmpeg, tsMuxeR
Java
Libs and Codecs for mplayer/mencoder

Version 2.1:
Changes:
- mplayer, mencoder, ffmpeg compiled with multithread support (compiled at ReadyNas PRO)
- Last version of tsMuxeR included (in /usr/local/bin; mplayer, ffmpeg, mencoder also here)
- New version of Playstation 3 Media Server included (Ver 1.11.369 unstable) - it support some TV with upnp (Sony, Samsung, Philips, etc)
- Change home directory of addon to /c/addon-config/PMSFORREADYNAS
- Add some definitions in /default/services (PMSFORREADYNAS_*)
- Size of addon now is ~63Mb (was ~90) - big, but it include JRE and win32 codecs as is...

About addon, that can be useful:
Definitions in /default/services:
PMSFORREADYNAS_DIRECTORY - home directory (default is /c/addon-config/PMSFORREADYNAS)
PMSFORREADYNAS_JAVA_VER - Installed Java version (default is 1.6.0_16)
PMSFORREADYNAS_JAVA_HOME - Home directory of java (default is $PMSFORREADYNAS_DIRECTORY/jre$PMSFORREADYNAS_JAVA_VER)
PMSFORREADYNAS_MEDIADIR - Directory with media files, can be changed in FrontView web interface (default is /media)

In home directory placed subdir win32 with codecs for mplayer/mencoder - you can modify it without reinstall addon.
In subdir pms you can configure PMS.conf, WEB.conf (need restart PMS after change) Now it configured for RUSSIAN language and movies support. For more information about PMS:
http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/
http://ps3mediaserver.org

If anybody whant source code of addon - contact me
Message 2 of 157
alokeprasad
Mentor

Can this be ported to the Duo?
Message 3 of 157
igor_dulatov
Aspirant

I think no. Its only for x86 platform
Message 4 of 157
Highlander337
Aspirant

Hi, how do you actually install the PMS program onto the Nas ??

Cheers

Stu
Message 5 of 157
igor_dulatov
Aspirant

Download .bin file and read:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#How_do_I_install%2Fremove_an_add-on%3F
Message 6 of 157
petese
Aspirant

Hi please tell me how to set it up, i did install *.bin file v2.1 and i see this in add-ons, but my PS3 dont :).
Im not a familiar with linux, i need step by step guide.
Another think, after installing v1.1 i have problem share "PMSFORREADYNAS" not found.
ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Edition
Message 7 of 157
igor_dulatov
Aspirant

Do you uninstall previous ver?
Does green indicator lighting?
For no more message about PMSFORREADYNAS share - go to the shares in frontview menu and kill it share (its share was made automaticaly, and i dont know how...).
Message 8 of 157
Ushman
Aspirant

I would like to try this add-on however is there some way you could post the download on this site as RapidShare is not allowing us to download it?

Update - I was able to get it from RapidShare after their servers came back up. Thanks.
Message 9 of 157
petese
Aspirant

I think i did uninstall old one version (1.1).
But if you can reupload this again (i have problem with old one download of this v1.1), i will try to uninstal both then install v1.1 uninstall and install again v2.1, maybe its the way for my "PMSFORREADYNAS" problem.
In frontview i dont see "PMSFORRAEDYNAS" share, and when i'm trying to create this share saying "share already exist".
It's a log: "The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume. PMSFORREADYNAS".
Indicator light is fine but PS3 still don't "see" server.
Message 10 of 157
Ushman
Aspirant

Hi,
I am running 4.2.8 on a ReadyNas Pro Pioneer.

I installed this add-on and tried to use it. The PS3 found the add-on right away and I was able to view all the files on the NAS. However when I tried to play a 720p mkv file, the add-on was not capable of transcoding it. It took about 10-12 seconds and then I got a message saying the data is corrupt. I know the data is not corrupt and tried another file to be sure. Any suggestions? I tried the transcode folder as well and still no luck.

I did try this on a 8gb mkv file (Lethal weapon 1080p mkv) and it did work fine, so it seems to work on some files. I watched the first 7 minutes and no stuttering problems at all. I look forward to testing some more mkv files.

I think this is a brilliant add-on however I am not sure the ReadyNas has enough horsepower to keep this working properly. I would be happy to continue testing this to help. Will this add-on tax the processor in the NAS, increase heat?

Also, I did not have any problems with extra shares being created. It would be helpful if you could change the language to english under the settings folder.

Ushman
Message 11 of 157
linkup1
Aspirant

Ushman wrote:
Hi,
I am running 4.2.8 on a ReadyNas Pro Pioneer.

I think this is a brilliant add-on however I am not sure the ReadyNas has enough horsepower to keep this working properly. I would be happy to continue testing this to help. Will this add-on tax the processor in the NAS, increase heat?

I have a Pro on order and will be putting 2TB Hitachis and more RAM in it. When you wonder if the Pro is adequate or not for the job, do you have fast or slow drives, and have you added RAM?

I will be using a PS3 for one home theater, but need a solution for the other home theater. Was looking at the Popcorn C-200.

They cost more than a PS3 and I don't need a second PS3 so I want an alternative solution so I have two choices in products.

Thanks,

Lew
Message 12 of 157
Ushman
Aspirant

Lew,
I have regular drives (two 750 GB Seagates and one 1TB Samsung) and have not added any extra RAM. I only wonder cause I know that real time transcoding can use up alot of the processor. I know the Pro has a multi-core Intel platform but just not sure how that will work for large (i.e. 8GB mkv files). It was working perfectly for me the other day on Lethal Weapon (8GB) but I only watched about 10 minutes. I had some trouble with some TV episodes that were mkv though, still can't get them to work despite the fact that PS3 Media Streamer (OS X version) plays them when I run it off my Macbook.

The PS3 is an excellent choice for media streamer, I have two of them. I am also looking for an additional product and did look at the new popcorn hour c-200 as well. The c-200 is way overpriced at this point for me as I am in Canada and would have to pay almost $400 to get one shipped and then fork over another $150 for a blu-ray drive.

If you don't need the blu-ray drive, you should consider the Western Digital WD TV Live as I have read many good reviews on it and it is powered by the new Sigma chipset. And try to hold out until the specs for the new Boxee Box are released here in January (http://www.boxee.tv/box).

Regardless I think I will be adding some RAM and look forward to using this add-on rather than transcoding all the mkv files I download.

Cheers,
Ushman
Message 13 of 157
linkup1
Aspirant

Ushman wrote:
Lew,
The PS3 is an excellent choice for media streamer, I have two of them. I am also looking for an additional product and did look at the new popcorn hour c-200 as well. The c-200 is way overpriced at this point for me as I am in Canada and would have to pay almost $400 to get one shipped and then fork over another $150 for a blu-ray drive.

If you don't need the blu-ray drive, you should consider the Western Digital WD TV Live as I have read many good reviews on it and it is powered by the new Sigma chipset. And try to hold out until the specs for the new Boxee Box are released here in January (http://www.boxee.tv/box).

Regardless I think I will be adding some RAM and look forward to using this add-on rather than transcoding all the mkv files I download.

Glad to hear it works well in the streamer capacity. It would be handy to have a blu-ray device for the second home theater which was part of the reason I chose a PS3 for one home theater. Seemed like the game part was almost free considering the value of the blu-ray drive in it.

If you got the C-200, you wouldn't need to get the drive for it right away. You could use the streaming feature first and then s BD drive later.

What value do you see the C-200 having over a PS3?

Lew
Message 14 of 157
Ushman
Aspirant

Lew,
The value of the C-200 is definitely in its ability to play nearly ever format imaginable without the need for any additional transcoding or file manipulation. The PS3 is great and like you said the games are gravy but it does have its shortcomings, but I would have to say (for me) the biggest drawback is that the PS3 can't play MKV files natively, which is why this add-on is so great (once all the kinks are worked out).

The C-200 can play MKV's natively without having to transcode them into the m2ts container (like you have to do with the PS3). If you have alot of MKV files then this feature may be attractive for you rather than spending extra time transcoding. Also, the C-200 can handle DTS audio streams, so this is another big advantage over the PS3 which cannot stream DTS (even though it can play DTS from disc).

One other little thing I like about the C-200 is that you can actually stream audio to your home stereo using the little LCD screen on the front without having to turn the TV on (like the PS3). My 50 inch plasma sucks a lot of juice when it is on, so having it on just to control song selection is a waste of energy/money.

I agree with you, I could just get the C-200 and then worry about blu-ray later, but this PS3MS add-on almost makes things equal (except I still won't be able to watch MKV's with DTS audio unless I transcode the DTS to AC3). The C-200 is just still too expensive compared to a $299 PS3. If the price comes down, I will potentially consider replacing one of my PS3's for a C-200. So for me, it boils down to which will come first, C-200 price drop or MKV compatibility with PS3. This add-on has me leaning away from the C-200. Have you installed this add-on yet? Do you have it working on all your files? Are you going to go with the C-200?

Cheers,
Ushman
Message 15 of 157
linkup1
Aspirant

Hello Sir,

Ushman wrote:
Lew,
The value of the C-200 is definitely in its ability to play nearly ever format imaginable without the need for any additional transcoding or file manipulation. The PS3 is great and like you said the games are gravy but it does have its shortcomings, but I would have to say (for me) the biggest drawback is that the PS3 can't play MKV files natively, which is why this add-on is so great (once all the kinks are worked out).

I thought I was instructed to rip the HD and BR disks into their "native" format, whether it is a video_ts or whatever? So it would be like the program is viewing the disk? I have yet to rip a BR as I haven't bought a player for my PC yet. So for now, I am only able to play BR. I just got the PS3 and other than playing a few videos, I am a total PS3 rookie. And since I don't have a NAS yet, I don't know how it will perform in that respect. I am only connected with wireless now, not having ran a CAT6 cable there yet.

I haven't even checked yet to see if the PS3 finds my PC where there are a few rips to view as a test. They just aren't BR quality.

Ushman wrote:

One other little thing I like about the C-200 is that you can actually stream audio to your home stereo using the little LCD screen on the front without having to turn the TV on (like the PS3). My 50 inch plasma sucks a lot of juice when it is on, so having it on just to control song selection is a waste of energy/money.

I don't play music, usually talk radio in the background when working. The audio side of things is of no interest to me at this point.

Ushman wrote:

I agree with you, I could just get the C-200 and then worry about blu-ray later, but this PS3MS add-on almost makes things equal (except I still won't be able to watch MKV's with DTS audio unless I transcode the DTS to AC3). The C-200 is just still too expensive compared to a $299 PS3. If the price comes down, I will potentially consider replacing one of my PS3's for a C-200. So for me, it boils down to which will come first, C-200 price drop or MKV compatibility with PS3. This add-on has me leaning away from the C-200. Have you installed this add-on yet? Do you have it working on all your files? Are you going to go with the C-200?

I don't know what the add on is you are talking about? An add on for the PS3, or for the C-200 I am only thinking about now?

I am looking for a comparison between the older A-110 vs. the C-200 and haven't found such a chart. Or a comparison between the PCH line and it's competitors, whatever they are (Netgear?).

Thanks!
Message 16 of 157
super_poussin
Virtuoso

for Netgear take a look on Eva9100 and Eva9150 🙂
Message 17 of 157
Ushman
Aspirant

Lew,
The add-on we are discussing here is the PS3 Media Server for the ReadyNas. Currently this program can be installed on your computer so that your PS3 can communicate with your computer. The problem here is that your computer must be running while you are streaming media from your NAS to the PS3.

This add-on is the same program however you install it onto your NAS drive (instead of your computer) and you don't need to run your computer in the background. Like I said before, it is a great add-on and makes life much simpler for a NAS to PS3 system.

In your case, you would run this program on your computer and I highly recommend it. You said you were a PS3 rookie so as you play with it you will find some file formats do not work with the PS3 (compared to a PCH product which plays everything you throw at it). This program allows the PS3 to play almost everything, like a PCH.

As for streamer comparison, you should review this link:
http://www.iboum.com/artkill/tablesort.php

Lists all PCH competitors. Only major difference between C-200 and A-110 is the box itself (can add a blu-ray drive) - the functionality of both units is near identical. The C-200 may have a newer chipset.

One piece of advice on ripping HD and BR, if you are doing this into their native format, you better have lots of space on your hard drive cause one BR rip can be 35GB. BR rips are no longer video_ts, it is a BDMV Stream or something like that but the size is huge. I don't know of any device that can play BR rip iso's yet (i.e. seeing the menu like watching the disc) but I am sure there has got to be one. Also, streaming a HD files wirelessly is a challenge as the bandwidth just can't support this without stuttering playback. If you can run CAT6, definitely do that. Otherwise you can use existing electrical outlets and adapters to create and ethernet over coax connection.

Cheers,
Ushman
Message 18 of 157
linkup1
Aspirant

Hello Sir,

I didn't know you needed an additional program on the Pro to let the PS3 run movies from it. Learn and life. Will tackle that when I have the Pro set up.

There is a PS3 Media Server program I run on my Vista PC and it is the same as or works with the NAS version? Will try to find the program.

I checked out Iboum. Can I believe their ratings? The c-200 was about 9th, the WD Live TV or whatever it is called was first.

http://www.iboum.com/sort/media-players-sort-rating.php

If people aren't ripping in native format, what format are the using for HD or BR to retain the quality? I am unhappy with most AVI and WMV movies I have seen due to compression leading to extreme pixelation. I hate the block blacks and solid areas.

As far as space, I am starting with 6 2TB Hitachis drives...that should hold a few movies, however it isn't for my movies, it is for my photos.

I am also going to build a Winserver with an old box of mine and that will probably be another 4+ 2TB drives, but want to use it for a backup for the first system.

I thought some of the media players ran N or double N or whatever it is called and the claim to be able to play hires videos? Is that marketing hype vs. reality?

I ordered a couple 50' CAT6 cables for my PS3 and whatever I buy for the second location. Will need to put a hole in the floor or two outside walls to get from A to B.

Since I haven't even bought a BR yet as I had no need before buying the PS3 which came with none. So if I want to rip the BR disks to play on my PS3 or on my C-200 or whatever, what software would you use to RIP/convert to format X?

Thanks!
Message 19 of 157
Ushman
Aspirant

Igor,
are you still working on this add-on?

Lew,
To clarify, you do NOT need an additional program on the Pro in order to stream media to it. I though my explanation was a bit confusing and it seems I lost you there. The PS3 Media Server program is a real time transcoding program that you can run INSTEAD of the DLNA protocol built into the Pro. It is likely the same as the one you run on your Vista PC.

Those ratings look to be a combination of functionality and price. Based on that, then yes the WDTV Live would likely be the highest rated. It does everything the Popcorn Hour does but for $100-$120, of course no drive bay.
You might find it interesting that Popcorn Hour announced a new product today. It does not have a drive bay and is intended to be a direct competitor to the WDTV Live. Go to www.popbox.com and apparently the full specs will be announced tomorrow at CES in Vegas.

Most HD and BR rips I have seen are in the MKV container with the video being x264/h264 (AVC). File size is usually 2.5GB to 8GB. I have found 4GB to be an excellent size with terrific video and audio, but lately even some 2.5GB encodes look brilliant on my 50inch TV. Sounds like you will have plenty of space so you may prefer going after 8GB rips and not really compromise on video or audio. You will have to judge for yourself and check out some. I personally cannot tell the difference between a 4GB rip and an 8GB rip when watching at home. But one thing is for sure, you will have a really hard time streaming an 8GB rip or a native rip (35GB) wirelessly. Unless you don't mind watching your movies with a pause every couple minutes. Claims for wireless HD are still just hype but reality is not far off. You are better off with CAT6.

I have not ripped a BR yet as I am currently using a mac and there are not friendly programs for this OS. From what I have read, alot of people use AnyDVD HD to rip the material and then encode it to a PS3 friendly format of the size you want with RipBot264.

Cheers,
Ushman
Message 20 of 157
linkup1
Aspirant

Hello Mr. Ushman,

I understand that the Pro supports DLNA but I heard that wasn't the best way to go. I thought the PS3 could directly read and decode the various file formats. Now it sounds like there are two extra steps:

1. Enable an "extra" protocol on the PRO otherwise unneeded.

2. Then even with a normal rip file structure, and with the protocol enabled, another step is needed, RipBot264??

Do the PCH models work directly with the files without the extra RipBot264 step?

Isn't the "real" transfer rate for HD video about 45-60mbs? Doesn't a "N" wireless do about 100mbs?

Either way, I wasn't going to count on it so I ordered a 50' CAT6 cable to get from the switch to the second home theater and another one for the PS3 which is currently connected via wireless, although I haven't used the network features of the PS3 other than it did an update when I set it up.

I have only played a couple DVDs on the PS3 and don't know what else I will use it for if it doesn't easily access my video.

Thanks for all the help.... It is such a nuisance to jump into several new technologies at once, not having a clue about any of them.
Message 21 of 157
Ushman
Aspirant

Lew,
There are no extra steps. If you have a ReadyNas, the DLNA protocol is part of the firmware, you just simply enable it (it is needed). It really is simple and the DLNA on the ReadyNas is more than adequate. I have never had a problem with my PS3 not recognizing the ReadyNas via DLNA. No other steps. If the PS3 recognizes the file format, it will play it.

Those other steps I described were in response to your question about how to rip blu rays. I do follow your question, if you just rip a blu ray into BDMV stream (which is apparently an m2ts file) and forget about transcoding it with RipBot264, can the Popcorn Hour device play it - the answer is I don't know. I do not have a Popcorn Hour device (yet, I am seriously interested in the new Popbox). I did have a movie in the BDMV format once and it would not play on the PS3. Something about streaming, cause when I burned it to a DVD, it played on the PS3. Sorry I don't know more about why this was the case.

Good to hear you are going with CAT6, the wireless N standard makes alot of claims (like 100mbps) but those are usually under test conditions not replicated in the home. I have a wireless N router, and I can tell you that actual throughput is closer to 2-4mbps, not 100. I am not a network expert at all but I have read that even if you are running CAT6, you are not going to get 1000mbps even though it is gigabit. Actual transfer rates are far less than the stated rate. I have CAT5E in my walls and I generally can transfer a 4GB movie file across the network in about 3 minutes (which equates to around 25 to 30 mbps, a far cry from 1000mbps). Most of the forums I have read say the same thing, wired streaming is still the best way to go.

The PS3 will easily access your video. Whether or not it plays all of your videos depends on how much of it is in a compatible format.

Cheers,
Ushman
Message 22 of 157
linkup1
Aspirant

Hello again Sir,

What I was trying to say is that if a protocol can be left off, the server will run more efficiently. Normally we don't enable more protocols than are needed and if DLNA wasn't needed, I wouldn't enable it.

I still don't understand why the PS3 (a Linux box) can't see the shares on another Linux box on the same network when nothing was done to interfere with them seeing each other.

Once the PS3 has "seen" the server, it ought to be able to manage the files as if they were on the PS3 itself, or am I missing something?

I have never ripped a BR...don't have one, don't have a ripper for it... I assumed it would work like a DVD, i.e. you rip the "native" structure off the BR onto the HD. Shouldn't it still "look like" the BR disk and be read as if it was a BR disk on the PS3? I am probably oversimplifying things...

Same with PCH machine... I am assuming the same scenario. Yet another Linux box on the network that ought to see the files and play them?

I better go and check out the press release.

Lew
Message 23 of 157
linkup1
Aspirant

Okie dokie.....Have the Pro set up, am copying some test movies over, now what do I do to see them on the PS3?

I am such a rookie 🙂

Thanks!

Lew
Message 24 of 157
linkup1
Aspirant

Spoke too soon.... fired up the PS3 and moved the button around a bit, saw the ReadyNas Pro listed, clicked it, looked around, found the video folder I just created, scrolled down to a movie, clicked it, the movie popped up...

cowabunga...

how do I know if I am getting all the proper video and audio codecs ?

thanks!
Message 25 of 157
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements