× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Plex Says ReadyNAS needs Update

Tutor

Plex Says ReadyNAS needs Update

I need to update my ReadyNAS 102's Plex Server.  When I open Plex and go to settings > server there is a message that there is an update and to manually update it.

If I click on the link of the update the following file begins to download.  It appears to be a zipped file.

plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39_armel.deb

Where should I extract file and what do I do with it after it is extracted?

Thanks

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Plex Says ReadyNAS needs Update

On the Apps page, you should see an Upload button at the top right just to the left of the Refresh button. Click on the Upload button, browse for the .deb file and upload it. It will update the app to the new version.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The normal way is to go into the NAS admin UI and click on the apps page.  Normally there would be an "update" button there.

Message 2 of 15
Tutor

The apps page: listing installed apps ( Plex ) does not have an update button available.

Plex app currently running is 0.9.12.1.1079-b655370

Plex is requesting 0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39

Should I remove the current app and reinstall?

If I do will all of my links break?

I'm running PlexConnect with ATV3

Thanks

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Do you need the update right away for some reason?

Message 4 of 15
Tutor

The new Plex App for iOS is locking everyone out without the update to PMS.

I normaly don't update anything unless i'm having a problem, this time they are doing it to me and countless others.

Message 5 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On the Apps page, you should see an Upload button at the top right just to the left of the Refresh button. Click on the Upload button, browse for the .deb file and upload it. It will update the app to the new version.

Message 6 of 15
Tutor

Thank You, Thank You and Thank You.

That is exactly what I was looking for, you rock !!!!!

Message 7 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I installed the new version on my 516 (a unit with an Intel CPU) and it is working well for me.

I will check with engineering what can be one about getting an updated version of the Plex app on our Available Apps page.

Message 8 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The new version of the Plex Media Server app is now on apps.readynas.com.

Message 9 of 15
Grizmd
Aspirant

I'm also trying to update my Plex server software.  However, I do not have an update button on my Dashboard

I'm running an Ultra 6 Plus NAS

Radiator 4.2.27 software.  

Current Plex server software:  0.9.11.7

Updated software that Plex is requesting installed:  0.9.12.8

On the Add-Ons tab, the Plex Server is listed as installed, but I can't find a way to do the update (which I downloaded from Plex for Intel 4.x)

Without the upate, I am unable to access Plex from remote devices (e.g. iPhone, iPad, etc)

I'd appreciate any insight or suggestions. 

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

EDIT - for 4.2.x, get the download from https://plex.tv/downloads

Select Netgear, then Intel.4.x.

After that, install manually from Frontview (add-ons, add new).  I'd just overinstall.

Message 11 of 15
Grizmd
Aspirant

Ah.   Excellent.   That helped.  I didn't think to go to "Add New" (since it was already installed).  

Thanks for your help!  Wish I had the newer interface (version 6.x?), seems much more intuitive and user-friendly.  I don't think my (older) system (ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus) will do the newer firmware.... Smiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Grizmd wrote:

Thanks for your help!  Wish I had the newer interface (version 6.x?), seems much more intuitive and user-friendly.  I don't think my (older) system (ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus) will do the newer firmware.... Smiley Frustrated

It is unsupported by netgear, but it can be installed.  The process requires a factory reset though, so you'd need to do a full backup before you try it.  There is some info here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING-NO-NTGR-SUP...

Personally I've stayed with 4.2.x on my pro-6 (it is still under warranty, and the NAS is already set up as I want it). 

Message 13 of 15
Grizmd
Aspirant

I see.  I agree with you.  I'll stay with the legacy 4.x

Message 14 of 15
dmacleo
Guide

fwiw I have had best luck by first turning plex off (in app page) then doing the update by browsing to new deb file, uploading, then turning app back on.

for whatever reason leaving app running and updating sometimes (bot always) does not reflect the update applied in plex server settings section w/o doing a reboot of the nas. turning app off and updating seems to negate needing to reboot.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements