× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Python 2.7.10

WhoCares_
Mentor

Python 2.7.10

Python2.7 2.7.10

• Description:
      Python is a programming language that lets you work more quickly and integrate your systems more effectively. You can learn to use Python and see almost immediate gains in productivity and lower maintenance costs.

• Requirements: RAIDiator 5.3.2 or newer

• Platform: ARM

• Details:

• This addon contains the following modules:
          - python
          - python-central
          - python-cheetah
          - python-configobj
          - python-feedparser
          - python-minimal
          - python-openssl
          - python-pysqlite2
          - python-support
          - python-yenc
          - python2.7
          - python2.7-minimal

• Additional modules can be added on request.

• History
    • 0.8.0 (2011-12-12)
      Initial release
Message 1 of 6
Forage
Aspirant

Re: Python 2.7.2

Good to see you recently updated the add-on with Python 2.7.10, just when I'm about to get it.

Would it be possible to include the following modules?

1. suds, or even for the timebeing the maintained fork suds-jurko, to have a lightweight SOAP client available
  2. cryptography, to encrypt and sign messages with OpenSSL

Having these two additions provides people with two powerful tools to create web-related funcionality for the ReadyNAS.

Do note that the second module does require some general additional python modules and has some build dependencies.

Message 2 of 6
WhoCares_
Mentor

Well, of course I could. The thing there is that when doing so, to not unnecessarily bloat the base package I'd need to prepare add-ons either for each package or with a different mix of different packages for various usage scenarios. The alternative would be to provide a publicly accessible repository from which additional stuff could be pulled with simple "apt-get" commands. Either way that would mean a lot of building and maintenance work for the benefit of probably a handful of users.

However, if there's a good reason to include additional modules into one or other package I may well be inclined to so. So convince me why you think this is necessary 😉

-Stefan

Message 3 of 6
Forage
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with not bloating the add-on. Creating other solutions then including the modules on the same add-on is, however, overkill imho, judged by the lack of requests to add additional modules.

A more sensible alternative would be to unclude pip so people can install what they want, but I assume you'll soon run into dependency issues when a module requires a bit more to get installed (building, etc.). A can of worms if you ask me.

What to include depends on what you consider the purpose of the NAS. Seeing your other modules (ownCloud, transmission, syncthing, etc) I'd say this goes a bit further then just storage for you as well. Internet related abilities is a valuable addition.

suds is a lightweight SOAP client. Not too much fuss, not setting up a webservice, just working with existing ones. For me it would enable me to implement reporting activities to a webservice. Uses for it will only increase since more and more webservices are becomming available.

I think it's a nice general module to have available for users, whatever their need is.

The cryptography module is basically a replacement for the python-openssl module already included in your add-on. It provides the same functionallity but in a different, more sane, way. I find it quite comfortable to work with.

More recent versions (0.14+) of python-openssl depend on the cryptography module. If you have already updated the modules in your recent 2.7.10 update than there's no need to do anything anymore. Let me know if this is the case.

The maintainers of python-openssl even admit there's no real need for the module anymore, except have exciting scripts still depending on it.

Strickly speaking I can do without this module if python-openssl is available. Security-wise there's enough reason (support for TLSv1.1 and TLSv1.2) to update that module to 0.14 though.

Message 4 of 6
WhoCares_
Mentor

I gave both of the extensions you mentioned a quick shot and found that they both require a lot of backporting from Jessie/Stretch. So this isn't really easy and I think providing a new repo might really be the best solution here. I also had a look at building pip but essentially the problem there is the same as with the other two. So in essence: sorry, no solution in the short term.

-Stefan

Message 5 of 6
Forage
Aspirant

Thanks for having a look at it. I'm sorry to hear it's not as easy as it looks. I'm a bit surprised that suds is giving you a hard time as well but so be it.

Too bad. I'll see if I can work out a different solution. There are other python SOAP client modules out there. While not that likely, a different one might have less dependencies.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements