× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAIDiator-x86 4.2.23 | VirtualBox image #notsupported

chirpa
Luminary

RAIDiator-x86 4.2.28 | VirtualBox image #notsupported

Following the steps to create the ReadyNAS OS 6 VM, we found it was possible to run RAIDiator-x86 in a VM as well!
Now you can test out add-ons, or develop them, without bricking your main box!

What you came here for: 

RAIDiator-x86-4.2.28.ova (178.9 MB)  <link updated 5 January 2021>

image-1-VHLiAy2l.jpgimage-2-VHLiAy2l.jpg

Basically using the same steps as the OS6 image creation, but using a 4.2 root.tlz on the boot flash.
Firmware upgrades via FrontView won't work, would have to copy new root.tlz to boot flash then do an OS re-install.
Discover via RAIDar to find IP. Default 'netgear1' password for FrontView/SSH.

Message 1 of 22
chirpa
Luminary

Updated with 4.2.23 release.
Message 2 of 22
tadgy1
Aspirant

Hey,
I don't suppose anyone has a VMWare bootable version of this?

I tried to import the OVA into ESX, but it refuses claiming that VirtualBox 2.2 is a hard requirement. I'm not quite sure why that would be the case - unless VirtualBox can emulate some hardware (flash memory?) that VMWare can't?

I want to do some testing/development of an add-on or two, but really don't want to run VirtualBox inside a VM running on ESX just to do that. All my dev work is done in virtual machines, so I have no intention of installing VirtualBox on my Linux desktop, and running as i've described above seems a bit of a malarky to me.

Hope someone can help - cheers 🙂
Message 3 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't think it could be made to work in ESX without a fair bit of work. The code that would need to be changed would probably include stuff in stripped binaries.
Message 4 of 22
tadgy1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
I don't think it could be made to work in ESX without a fair bit of work. The code that would need to be changed would probably include stuff in stripped binaries.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't believe that is the case here. Since the x86 version clearly runs in VirtualBox without any modification of the underlying binaries for that particular virtualisation platform, I can't see any reason it won't run under any other virtualisation platform that emulates x86 hardware, including ESX.

Sure, there will be missing "hardware" (the LCD screen for example), but that is also true in VirtualBox. But given that the firmware will run in VB despite the missing hardware that would be found on a real ReadyNAS product, it should also run in ESX (assuming VB doesn't emulate some specific bit of hardware that is absolutely required for it to work - like the flash memory).

If there is specific hardware that VB can emulate that ESX cannot, then I can understand the OVA having a 'requirement' on VirtualBox hard coded into it. But if it's bog standard stuff, i'd really appreciate a 'generic' OVA that can be run on *any* virtualisation product - hence my post 🙂

Cheers.
Message 5 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you follow the steps to make a ReadyNAS OS 6 VM, can you make that run in ESX? If so, then a 4.2.x VM should also be doable.

I think that code is hard-coded in to do things differently if the OS detects it is running in Virtualbox. I'm not sure if the same is true for other forms of Virtualisation.

Edit: Install Virtualbox on a machine, restore the 4.2.23 VM from the .ova and then try following a procedure such as this: http://it.ctsi.ufl.edu/howto-convert-from-virtualbox-to-vmware-esx/
Message 6 of 22
SHS_
Aspirant

Not sure if chirpa will read any of this vis-a-vis maintaining the RAIDiator 4.x and RNSOS 6.x stuff here... though just throwing it out there to ease my own transition from 4.x to 6.x. I want to do:

1) Image the current RAIDiator 4.x HDDs in order.
2) Plug imaged HDDs into a desktop PC, running VirtualBox on a Linux host.
3) Get RAIDiator running in VirtualBox accessing the existing said HDDs via raw harddisk access.
4) Confirm it working
5) Transfer data on Virtual NAS to real NAS (having blitzed it and running RNSOS6)

Any reason why the above won't work and/or is there a step (or 6!) I'm missing?
Message 7 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'm not sure if the VM would recognise more than a couple of hard drives.

You do realise that you don't need to use RAIDiator 4.2.x to mount an array taken from e.g. a ReadyNAS Pro ?
Message 8 of 22
SHS_
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:

You do realise that you don't need to use RAIDiator 4.2.x to mount an array taken from e.g. a ReadyNAS Pro ?

I'm clearly having a brain-fart! Can't use search as it's load limited right now... though I guess just needs kernel support for ext4 and software RAID right?
Message 9 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. Ideally at least as new a version as is used in the firmware.

Message 10 of 22
dildano
Aspirant

Any chance that we can get a VBox image for 4.2.24? I'm still trying to get VBox running on my Pro, and I'd like to do my testing on the current version. Thanks!
Message 11 of 22
lancerus
Aspirant

I have this image -- and the 6.0.6 image (which I then upgraded to 6.1.6) running in VMWare Workstation. This image was easy to fix for VMWare, the 6.0.6 was more challenging. Now that they are in Workstation - they should easily migrate over to ESXi. I can post instructions if anyone is interested.
Message 12 of 22
tadgy1
Aspirant

lancerus wrote:
I have this image -- and the 6.0.6 image (which I then upgraded to 6.1.6) running in VMWare Workstation. This image was easy to fix for VMWare, the 6.0.6 was more challenging. Now that they are in Workstation - they should easily migrate over to ESXi. I can post instructions if anyone is interested.

I'd be very interested in the procedure you used to get ReadyNAS OS6 going in VMware 🙂

Please feel free to PM me the info, or post it here for others too.

Thanks muchly 🙂
Message 13 of 22
benok
Aspirant

lancerus wrote:

me, too!

I'm just trying to convert OS6.0.6 VirtualBox image to vmware's with VMware workstation 10.
I attached converted disks to SATA controller, but failed to boot.
serial output message says 'ERROR: Could not mount root RAID device' like below.

SYSLINUX 3.31 Debian-2007-03-09 Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
boot:
Loading kernel.......................................................................
Loading initrd.gz.............................................Ready.
Starting the boot process...
Detected system type: UNKNOWN
Loading kernel modules...done
Bringing up network...eth0.done
Bringing up RAID arrays...done
ERROR: Could not mount root RAID device
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
/ # 

How do you resolve the issue ?
I suspect it comes from different SATA emulated device on the hypervisors.
Is it required to install another driver ?
I'll make Debian VM with SATA configuration and try to check device emulation and drivers being used.

Could you share your procedure ? 🙂

p.s.
Any way, we should move thread below or create new one. It seems off topic, isn't it ? :wink:

NETGEAR ReadyNAS • View topic - ReadyNAS OS 6.0.6 | VirtualBox Image #notsupported
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70699
Message 14 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You need a newer version of ReadyNAS OS. Update the firmware in the VM to e.g. 6.1.7 RC5: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=72282

Then try converting it.
Message 15 of 22
benok
Aspirant

Convert ReadyOS6 VirtualBox image to VMwareWS10

Oh, it just depends OS version.
I never imagine that.

On VirtualBox,
1. Update ReadyNAS VM to latest via WebUI.
2. Export VM with OVF1.0

On VMware workstation 10,
3. Open OVF with VMware WS10 & Import.
4. Remove all virtual harddrives (it's connected as IDE drives)
5. Add SATA drives and choose those existing vmdk.

That's all.
so easy ! Thanks. 😄
Message 16 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Clearly they must have added support for virtualising it with VMWare in a more recent firmware than 6.0.6.
Message 17 of 22
chirpa
Luminary

Workstation has always worked I believe, since it has virtual SATA disks. The issue is with VMware ESX, as it only presents SCSI disks.
Message 18 of 22
jmuk
Aspirant

Hi

I have got this image up and running locally and it seems to work well, so thanks for that. However I do have a problem that I could do with some help with. I am trying to use the image to test out hosting a Z-Wave controller. In order to do that I need to get USB support for the controller hardware and part of that process involves grabbing the Raidator GPL sources and unzipping it so that I can build the missing kernel modules. Doing that in the VB image is proving to be difficult because whilst there is enough disk space (I think) there are not enough inodes. I thought that I could just add some more disks and expand the volume on which I am trying to unzip the sources but I don't seem to be able to get Raidiator to recognize the new devices in a way that it will allow me to either expand or create a new volume on them.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks

James.
Message 19 of 22
chirpa
Luminary

Make sure you extract all the files to /c, not to / (different limited partition which easily runs out of inodes).
Message 20 of 22
jmuk
Aspirant

Unfortunately I was trying to unzip to /c and still there is nowhere near enough inodes 😞
Message 21 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Here is an updated download link: RAIDiator-x86-4.2.28 .ova 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements