× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 Length of Scrub Maintenance

darthy
Apprentice

ReadyNAS 314 Length of Scrub Maintenance

Hi,

I've looked through the previous answers re how long it takes for a Scrub to complete. Most seem to point to turning off Quotas which I don't have enabled. From volume.log the Scrub took almost 8 days to complete:

data        scrub      2018-10-01 23:00:01  2018-10-08 08:27:32  pass  

I'm running 2 x 3TB drives and 1 x 4TB drive in an X-RAID configuration

1 x WDC WD40EFRX

2 x ST3000DM001

Any thoughts or ideas on how to speed this up would be appreciated. I run the Scrub job once every 6 months and they generally take about this long. Performance of my ReadyNAS 314 is very much affected, I can barely use it while the Scrub job is running.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 314 Length of Scrub Maintenance

What firmware are you running, and how full is the volume?

There are a lot of posts out there indicating the ST3000DM001 doesn't work well in RAID arrays. So your issue might be drive-related.

Have you checked the disk health (looking at the SMART stats in disk_info.log)?  Are you seeing anything unusual in system.log or kernel.log after the scrub completes?

Message 2 of 5
darthy
Apprentice

Firmware 6.9.4

Disk health is reported as good with zero errors isn disk_info.log.

Kernel.log is not showing any issues.

Volume is relatively full, with just less than 20% of volume data's capacity free, although still translates into 1TB of free space.

I'll do some reading on issues with this ST3000DM001 although have been running with these drives for the last 4 years or so. Scrub has always been very slow but feels like it is is even slower now.

The plan is to eventually replace all the ST3000 drives with the WD40's.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
darthy
Apprentice

Please let me know if anyone else has any other suggestions here or this is just how long it takes on this.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

It shouldn't take 8 days.  My 526x with 4x6TB disks takes about two.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements