× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro6 Dropbox Installer (rnxtras add on) How to enable LANSync

PSlee
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro6 Dropbox Installer (rnxtras add on) How to enable LANSync

I have been running the Dropbox installer add-on, ver 1.2.1 for a month or so which in turn I have set to run the linux dropbox distribution 16.3.24.  I'm running RadyNAS OS 6.6.0

I have found some documentation about running Dropbox command line options, including how to set up LAN Sync.  All my efforts to run the command line have been "dissapointing"  I normally seem to get the error saying that another dropbox process is already running...which it definately is...its syncing all my files.  So I dont seem to have a way to adjust any settings.  Is there a config file or something I can edit that will enable LAN Sync ?  BTW:  The motivation is to speed things up a bit...its soooo slow keeping up with the changes as it is, just via the net rather than over the LAN.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Pro6 Dropbox Installer (rnxtras add on) How to enable LANSync

Hi PSlee,

Welcome to the community.

It might be worth a shot to try the firmware version 6.6.1.

ReadyNAS OS 6 Software Version 6.6.1

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
WhoCares_
Mentor

Actually LAN sync should be active by default. What indications led you to think it isn't? That said, how do you try to enable it? 

-Stefan

Message 3 of 6
PSlee
Aspirant

Hi Stephan

The only indication (guess really) is the incredibly slow speed I'm seeing...but from what you say it may well be on in reality.  I did have to make some serious increases to some of the linux fs parameters otherwise it would just freeze up and never finish syncing (we have around 300GB of data and some 100K's of files):

fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 1048576
fs.inotify.max_user_instances = 2048

It seems very very thrashy none the less.

I tried turning LAN Sync on as per this page:

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/9192

Message 4 of 6
WhoCares_
Mentor

I checked on my test systems and it seems that the "simple" way described on the page you linked to doesn't work. I'll check whether I can modify the Python script linked to from that page in such a way that it will work on the ReadyNAS - but don't hold your breath waiting for it, may take some days.

-Stefan

Message 5 of 6
PSlee
Aspirant

I appreciate the help 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation