× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS duo v1 NZBGet

cantsubmitmyown
Aspirant

ReadyNAS duo v1 NZBGet

After surfing around here in the community for hours, lots not working, unable to use my registered username, lots of dead links, German and English tossed together on the same page (yes, I'm about to get very frustratet!), I finally found (what I thought was the right) NZBGet, payed for it, downloaded it, installed it on the ReadyNAS, without errors, now it's not working. Asked it to open the web interface: Page doesn't exist. (Adress line says IP of ReadyNAS and port number 6789), page can't be opened.

Looked for support on the RNExtras site (where I purchased it), nothing to be found. No mail adress, no support form, nothing.

So I payed for an app/addon, it's not working AND there's no support???

Sorry for the harsh tone, but afte hours of frustration, I have a hard time moderating myself, after having been subjected to faults and errors on Netgear Community and other connected sites.

Any help? Maybe a word from the owner/developer of RNExtras? Tried to click 'About', nothing happens... No cantact field, no mailadress... Earning money with both adverbs AND non-functional apps, without option to get my money back?

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS duo v1 NZBGet

Hopefully @WhoCares_ will respond here.  You can try PMing him.

Message 2 of 6
WhoCares_
Mentor

It never ceases to amaze me that a lot of people seem to have a problem with simply replying to an email they got sent. Every user who registers at my site gets an email from info (at) readynasxtras (dot) com and in my opinion it shouldn't be too hard to just use that and fire off an email.

-Stefan

Message 3 of 6
WhoCares_
Mentor

For sake of completeness: I just installed NZBGet 16.3 (Sparc) on my freshly factory reset ReadyNAS NV (not even a +) and it works just fine. So if I could get some more info, I might be able to help but I'm currently unable to find a problem with the add-on.

-Stefan

Message 4 of 6
cantsubmitmyown
Aspirant

Betreff: ReadyNAS duo v1 NZBGet

I wasn't exactly amazed myself, the registration mails showed up a long time after... And, usually, such mails are of the no-reply type.

Anyway, as I mentioned, my tone perhaps was a little harsh, had spent litterally hours to get the community site to work - still is a confusion of German and English. Ok I'm german, but I live in Denmark and never use German on my computers (horrible translations in Windows), unless I really have to. (Right now I get a red band at the top, saying "Der gewünschte Vorgang konnte leider nicht abgeschlossen werden"...) Searching in these conditions is a bit difficult. I addition to that, my Windows (10) is running in Danish, so confusion or wrong translations of menu items can occur.

Right now I tried to restart the ReadyNAS via Frontpage, it did, disks are healthy, but opening the admin-page didn't work, got stuck had to kill it with Task Manager - doesn't help my (self-)confidence. I'll try again. Now, I got aaccess to Frontpage, tried to open the web interface again, bit still no luck. Seems the port number isn't correct.

As for the RNExtras homepage, I had expected there was some help to find or referring to community articles, but nothing. And when I have to look at advertisments and pay for the software, no matter how inexpensive it was, I expect just a little support - without having to send emails to the developer and bother him.

And - Stefan - I had expected more than your first reply, looked like you didn't care at all (hence your username?) - how to reply to a mail, that hadn't arrived yet??? But, if you ARE willing to try to help, as you imply in your second reply, I'll take the offer. And, if it suits you better, we can take it in German (maybe a good idea to change my OS's language, so we talk about the same) and private on mail.

Just to sum up and get prerequisites right: Running Windows 10 64bit on a Lenovo Helix, Kaspersky Internet Security, network set to private/trusted, standardbrowser Chrome (but using Edge for everything router or NAS-related), on the network: Netgear Nighthawk 7000 and an old (yes, I know) ReadyNAS with two WD Red 2TB in RAID 1, latest RAIDar, RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043], Online, RAID Level 1, 2 disks, 0% of 1845 GB used.

I figured out to install Transmission on the NAS, and open the web interface (now I just have to figure out how to get the right links or URL's in to it, when searching on TPB), upload and verification of NZBGet worked well, installation without error messages, but won't open web interface (http://192.168.1.14:6789/). As I searched for torrent related posts here, I found out there are some settings-files, that have to be modified, something like this here?

Any tips or help would be appreciated...

Message 5 of 6
WhoCares_
Mentor

Betreff: ReadyNAS duo v1 NZBGet

Most interestingly it's mostly my fellow countryfolks (even when living abroad) who start out with bashing and lashing and then tune down later on 😉 Anyway:

Anyway, as I mentioned, my tone perhaps was a little harsh, had spent litterally hours to get the community site to work

What community site are you referring to? The one here? Oh well, I just use it in English which is totally fine. That said, I'm totally with you on the subject of "forced translations" being presented to the user and I also fight an uphill battle against websites and even management interfaces that force me to use my native language.

As for the RNExtras homepage, I had expected there was some help to find or referring to community articles, but nothing.

Umm. I have no problems finding "Support" -> "Forums" -> "NZBGet" in the top navigation of the site ... but then that may just be me knowing the site's layout.

> And when I have to look at advertisments and pay for the software, no matter how inexpensive it was, I expect just a little support - without having to send emails to the developer and bother him.

Where do you think is the difference between using a forum post and sending an email except for me it's "just another place to take a look at". Now if you're referring to your particular problem, I'm sorry but I can't write support articles about topics I haven't yet heard about. After reading your post here I even went as far as assuming that there really something was wrong with the add-on, fired up the old UltraSparc used for compiling just in case, factory reset my development NAS to make sure there wasn't any problem with missing libraries and ran a test install. What else should I have done?

As for expectations: Well, I provide the software on an as-is basis and even if I charge a really modest sum for it that doesn't mean I'm available for support 24/7. The amount of money trickling in from the add-on "business" just pays for the cost of the web site and maybe an additional beer or so. But it certainly doesn't pay my rent or even compensates for the time I spent building and testing the add-ons. And although I try I certainly can't foresee each and any possible configuration out there so, yes, there's a chance an add-on won't work on a particular NAS. Even then I try to help if I get knowledge of the problem. But, and that's my expectation here, I expect people to be reasonably polite.

I had expected more than your first reply, looked like you didn't care at all (hence your username?)

Well, I had expected more from your first message too so we're even on that account. Not really, actually, since I even gave you an email address you could have written to but didn't. You should have received not only the registration emails but also the email with your purchase receipt and in either case it nowhere states that the sending address is a no-reply address. So you could have tried but didn't. But of course that somehow will also be my fault, I know.

upload and verification of NZBGet worked well, installation without error messages, but won't open web interface (http://192.168.1.14:6789/). 

Ok, so it seems that something went wrong during installation. I try to build the add-ons in such a way that there's no need for manually editing any config files or the like to get it up and running. And since it worked perfectly on my test box the only thing that can have gone wrong is the installation. The thing is that the internal checks of the ReadyNAS when doing an add-on installation aren't very sophisticated and actually may report a successful installation even in unsuccessful cases. To verify this it would be helpful if you had SSH access to your ReadyNAS. If you do, you could run the following commands:

dpkg -l | grep -v "^ii"

and 

sh /etc/frontview/addons/bin/NZBGET/start.sh

The first one will list all packages that for some reason didn't get properly installed. On Sparc based ReadyNAS systems "mailx" and "make" will show up in that list by default and can be safely ignored. The second command tries to start NZBGet and I'd be interested in any error messages that might show up. Also, while at it, check the free space on the OS parition of your ReadyNAS. There's a chance that the OS partition has filled up enough to allow for uploading but not for unpacking the add-on which may also result in a broken install that's reported as successful.

-Stefan

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements