× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Startup scripts, where to put them?

xiaorrulez
Aspirant

Startup scripts, where to put them?

Hi guys, just got my new Ultra 6 Plus a few days back. Installed many cool things and slowly migrating data from 5 loose drives onto the NAS. Loving every second!
*I don't do Linux much.

Just installed Sabnzbd+ and Headphones. Two questions:
1) Is there a way to make Sabnzbd+ create downloaded files as owner:nobody and full access? (I know I can tell Sabnzbd to set permissions to 777 once finished downloading)

2) How do I get both of them to start on startup of my ReadyNAS? (As I don't have it on 24/7)
Things I've done/tried already:
- Created a start/stop script in /etc/init.d/ (Which works when called form SSH)
- Created a link to it named "S05sabnzbd" in /etc/rc3.d/ (This is supposed to start it on start up?) I used ln -s ... ...
- Made sure both link and script in init.d had permission to execute (chmod +x?)
- Tried renaming link to "S99sabznbd"
- Tried creating the link in rc5.d instead

It does work when I call it manually, but just does not load on startup? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Message 1 of 6
jillybean
Tutor

For 2 - Try using update-rc.d to create the rc.d links - simple explanation here
Message 2 of 6
xiaorrulez
Aspirant

Thanks! I'll try that soon
Message 3 of 6
sbb_ausr
Aspirant

Hi there!

First of all, I do not know if this is right board of forums here for my questions, so if it is must not be here - please move it in right place. Thank you in advance!

I faced a problem in my tries to setup one script to be executed at every boot.

Let me explain: I am working at one factory, where the DB backup is ~30GB. We are using two devices - NV+ and Duo. It is done every day at 2~3.00 AM and ReadyNas Duo is set to copy backup file after 3.00 AM once a day, which is done approximately around 5~6.00 AM (our network is 100 Mb and is disabled aggresive mode with MTU 1492). Disc capacity of Duo is ~450GB, so after 12-13 copied backups, I am receiving email for disk usage warning. If I didn't take action, after 14-th file there is not possibility to save data, and files are broken. My target is to save last 7 backups - there is no option for this in FrontView - if I am wrong, please, correct me. So my solution was to create script, which make this, what I want and I am starting it via SSH every time, when I received a disk warning email.

Last three days I have tried to install the file as a service (without breaking loop) - in /etc/init.d and after that to execute update-rc.d command:

update-rc.d /etc/init.d/dUADB start 90 2 3 4 5 . stop 90 0 1 6 .

dUADB file:

#!/bin/bash

declare i daysSave=7;
declare i cnt=0;

for ((;;))
do

for file in `ls -t /c/AtlasDB_bkp/*`;
do
if [ $cnt -lt $daysSave ];
then
echo $file;
else
rm $file;
fi

let '++cnt';
done

break;
sleep 3600;

done

In both of tries, the system have failed (after restart, only power button was blinking) and was necessary to being reinstalled OS or factory default-ed the device. 🙂

Is there something wrong in my steps, in my script?

Best Regards
GR
Message 4 of 6
sbb_ausr
Aspirant

Bump!
Message 5 of 6
sbb_ausr
Aspirant

Come on, guys - nobody can't answer?!