× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to "Air Print"

jj69
Aspirant

Trying to "Air Print"

Hello all,
I recently upgraded my iPhone to iOS 4.2.1 and wanted to try the so called "Air Print" function.
It's actually IPP printing coupled with Bonjour service publication => it's all handled by my Duo and the
I'm refering to a very interesting blogpost here
I went as far as making the printer connected to the Duo visible for the iPhone :
I made the required changes to /etc/avahi/services/printer.template then unplugged & replugged the printer.
Unfortunately, its not sufficient : the cups queue needs to support PDF.

I went further to install cups pdf but I stopped dead when seeing the following output :

ReadyNAS:/etc/avahi/services# apt-get install cups-pdf
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
cupsys libcupsimage2 libcupsys2-gnutls10 libgcrypt11 libgnutls11 libgpg-error0 liblzo1 libopencdk8
libpaper1 libslp1 libtasn1-2 libtiff4 patch ucf xpdf-common xpdf-utils
Suggested packages:
gnome-cups-manager cupsys-bsd cupsys-driver-gimpprint foomatic-bin foomatic-filters-ppds xpdf-korean
xpdf-japanese xpdf-chinese-traditional xpdf-chinese-simplified hplip gnutls-bin slpd openslp-doc
xpdf-reader
Recommended packages:
gs-esp cupsys-client libpaper-utils debconf-utils
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libcupsys2 samba
The following NEW packages will be installed:
cups-pdf libcupsimage2 libcupsys2-gnutls10 libgcrypt11 libgnutls11 libgpg-error0 liblzo1 libopencdk8
libpaper1 libslp1 libtasn1-2 libtiff4 patch ucf xpdf-common xpdf-utils
The following packages will be upgraded:
cupsys
1 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 2 to remove and 69 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.7MB of archives.
After unpacking 16.8MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

So my question is :
Regarding the fact that some packages would be removed (why remove samba btw?) do you think it would be safe ?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Regards.
Message 1 of 5
WhoCares_
Mentor

jj69 wrote:
Regarding the fact that some packages would be removed (why remove samba btw?) do you think it would be safe ?

As you can see there is "samba" on the list of packages to be removed. So if you want to loose connectivity to your shares, you may say "yes" - otherwise "No" would be the better choice 😄

Rule of thumb: If apt-get displays anything about "REMOVE" just say "NO" to whatever question follows.

-Stefan
Message 2 of 5
jj69
Aspirant

WhoCares? wrote:
Rule of thumb: If apt-get displays anything about "REMOVE" just say "NO" to whatever question follows.

Thanx Stefan, that's what I thought.

I went further in my investigations : cups-pdf is not actually needed.
What's needed is a filter able to convert PDF format to printer format (cups-pdf being a virtual printer driver generating PDF files).
It's actually a good news (or may be not : it means I'll have to learn a lot about cups before being able to do something)
Message 3 of 5
west1
Aspirant

Did you manage to get this working as I am also interested in making the ReadyNAS attached printer visible on iOS devices?
Message 4 of 5
jj69
Aspirant

west wrote:
Did you manage to get this working as I am also interested in making the ReadyNAS attached printer visible on iOS devices?

Well, I think everybody gave up this subject for the time being. Once again, we're faced with the *antic* version of kernel and OS.
Basically we need modules we cannot have to actually print (we know how to make the printers visible to iOS).

Have a look here : viewtopic.php?f=61&t=47857
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements