× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Writing my own Add-On: .deb installs and service running, but won't show in GUI

tmm1
Aspirant

Writing my own Add-On: .deb installs and service running, but won't show in GUI

I've written a very simple add-on based on the samples in the SDK. The .deb file installs successfully onto the device, and the service is running (after invoking `rn_nml -S` in postinst. But it does not show up as an installed app on the GUI. Has anyone seen something like this before?

I've extracted my generated .deb and compared it to others published by the community, and can't spot any differences which would cause this behavior.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Writing my own Add-On: .deb installs and service running, but won't show in GUI

Alright, I tested out channels-dvr_1.0.5_all.deb on a fresh 6.6.0 VM.  Looks good from a quick glance:

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 12.02.25 PM.png

If you enable System > Settings > Support > Secure Diagnostic Mode and give me the port I can poke around on your system and see what's going on.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Writing my own Add-On: .deb installs and service running, but won't show in GUI

Have you tried clearing your web browser cache, closing your web browser and reopening the web admin interface?

Have you reviewed the logs for any clues?

Message 2 of 11
tmm1
Aspirant

Yes, refreshed cache and tried other browsers. No difference.

Also reviewed all the logs, it shows the debian package being installed successfully with no errors.

Message 3 of 11
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

The app not showing under Installed Apps is usually an issue with the config.xml file.  Can you post an example of yours?

Message 4 of 11
tmm1
Aspirant

Interesting, I guess that makes sense. I ran xmllint on it to confirm it was valid. Have tried adding and removing various properties but it didn't seem to help. Here's the latest version:

<Application resource-id="channels-dvr">
  <MinFirmwareVer>6.5.0</MinFirmwareVer>
  <Name>Channels DVR</Name>
  <Author>Fancy Bits, LLC</Author>
  <Version>1.0.5</Version>
  <Category>APP_CAT_MEDIA</Category>
  <LaunchURL>http://localhost:8089/</LaunchURL>
  <ConfigURL/>
  <RequireReboot>0</RequireReboot>
  <ReservePort>8089</ReservePort>
  <DebianPackage>channels-dvr</DebianPackage>
  <ServiceName>fvapp-channels-dvr.service</ServiceName>
  <Description lang="en-us">DVR backend for the Channels app on iOS and tvOS</Description>
</Application>
Message 5 of 11
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

That config looks good to me.

Are you installing from the UI or via apt?  If from apt you might need to touch /apps/your_app/.localapp before it'll show up in the UI.

Message 6 of 11
tmm1
Aspirant

From the UI. I verified that the .localapp file is in place.

Message 7 of 11
tmm1
Aspirant

Here's the .deb if you want to try installing or extracting it: http://channels-dvr.s3.amazonaws.com/netgear/channels-dvr_1.0.5_all.deb

Message 8 of 11
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

Interesting.  I did a quick test:

# mkdir /apps/channels-dvr
# cat > /apps/channels-dvr/config.xml << EOF
> <Application resource-id="channels-dvr">
> <MinFirmwareVer>6.5.0</MinFirmwareVer>
> <Name>Channels DVR</Name>
> <Author>Fancy Bits, LLC</Author>
> <Version>1.0.5</Version>
> <Category>APP_CAT_MEDIA</Category>
> <LaunchURL>http://localhost:8089/</LaunchURL>
> <ConfigURL/>
> <RequireReboot>0</RequireReboot>
> <ReservePort>8089</ReservePort>
> <DebianPackage>channels-dvr</DebianPackage>
> <ServiceName>fvapp-channels-dvr.service</ServiceName>
> <Description lang="en-us">DVR backend for the Channels app on iOS and tvOS</Description>
> </Application>
> EOF # touch /apps/channels-dvr/.localapp

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 11.55.09 AM.png

Let me test out the package real quick and see if I can track down the problem. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

Alright, I tested out channels-dvr_1.0.5_all.deb on a fresh 6.6.0 VM.  Looks good from a quick glance:

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 12.02.25 PM.png

If you enable System > Settings > Support > Secure Diagnostic Mode and give me the port I can poke around on your system and see what's going on.

Message 10 of 11
tmm1
Aspirant

Looks like rebooting the NAS and reinstalling 1.0.5 worked. Something must have gotten in a broken state with my previous packages.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements