× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

bash upgrade

xushi
Aspirant

bash upgrade

Hi all,

I have 2 x ReadyNAS NV+ v1 on 4.1.14 that are of course past their shelf life in terms of development and support.. 

I enabled SSH access to them as I no longer have a jump box with the NASs mounted to, to do my scripting (file related scripting etc). 

The problem is, bash on the ReadyNAS is too old. 

# bash --version
GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (sparc-unknown-linux-gnu)

It's missing many features I need from bash-utils, like `rename`, `watch`, etc..

Is there any way I can update bash to a more recent version and take advantage of other utils that come with it such as the above? I noticed there's an APT plugin, but that sounds too dangerous - also not sure if I can update just bash through it, without all the other system updates that may render my NAS inoperable..

Ta.

Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: bash upgrade

If you want to do some experimenting you could power down, remove your disks (label order), put a scratch disk in and have a go with that.

Message 2 of 6
xushi
Aspirant

Nice idea! 

I presume I can settle with putting just 1 spare disk in there right? There's no need to fill up all 4 slots. 

And after fiddling around, I can just put back the original 4, boot up and it's as if nothing happened ?

I was hoping someone else would have had some experience with updating bash, before I go into testing myself, but if not, I'll proceed and update the thread with my results later on.

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes.

Well I think there's a strong possibility you may/will run into problems doing such an update. Personally at this point I think you'd be better off getting an OS6 NAS than trying to update things like bash on a Sparc unit.

Message 4 of 6
xushi
Aspirant

True, 

But they still work fine (and were pricy!), can handle 4 x 2TB disks each in XRaid, and don't feel outdated or useless yet.. It would be a shame to retire them.

It also leaves me with the concern that the OS6 NAS will end up in a similar fate soon enough, leaving me stuck.

Message 5 of 6
Sussex3x
Aspirant

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements