× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

svn on RN202, old version

barrel_rider
Aspirant

svn on RN202, old version

I am trying to set up a subversion repository and subversion server on my ReadyNAS 202 (R6 ARM) to use with Eclipse.

Using PuTTY to SSH into the drive, I ran

apt-get update

(to update the package list) and then

apt-get install subversion

attempting to install the latest version of Subversion. But I get the message:

subversion is already the newest version.

When I ask Subversion its version number, I get version 1.6.17, making me think this is the latest version.

svn --version
svn, version 1.6.17 (r1128011)
   compiled Apr 30 2016, 04:20:24

However, checking Apache's site, the latest version is 1.9.4.

Why does the package update and install not give me the latest version? If I want to load the latest Subversion on to the drive myself, do I just need to put svnserve and svnadmin on it (and not svn for client)? Are there restrictions on where to put these?

I tried the obvious of installing Subversion through the apps tab of the admin page of the drive, but that version says 1.6.12 (neither the most recent version, nor the one that svn --version on the command line returns). What really confused me was when I removed Subversion from the installed apps, I still had access to svn commands from the command line.

All of this has left me entirely baffled. I have looked in many places for a better understanding of installing and using Subversion on a NetGear drive and have found very little to help. If anyone can give me some pointers on installing a new version of Subversion in order to set up a repository to use with Eclipse, I would be grateful!

Message 1 of 3
barrel_rider
Aspirant

Re: svn on RN202, old version

It's been a couple weeks and I haven't gotten any response to my posting about installing and using the most recent version of svn on my ReadyNAS. If no one has any ideas to help, does anyone have anything mean to say? Maybe "You don't have any idea what you are talking about." Or "You moron, you forgot to download the adapter first but I'm not going to help you." Or even "What you are doing with the NAS doesn't even make sense." At this point, I'll take it. Honestly, am I the only person to want to use svn on their drive?

Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: svn on RN202, old version

This is the version provided in our repository: http://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9

There are a small number of modifications made to packages to put things in the right place.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements