× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS305v3 Power Supply

Craig-Brown
Tutor

GS305v3 Power Supply

I just bought a GS305v3 switch, and when I went to plug it into my UPS, I found that the power supply blocks the adjacent plugs. I think the general label for such a power supply is "brick" (not a compliment).

This is, unfortunately, a common problem as my mech wi-fi power supply blocks even more plugs. Food for thought for future product designs. This issue reflects poorly on your design team (although they are not alone).

Model: GS305v3|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Long ago I bought a bunch of 6-12 inch power extension cables from monoprice. Lets me move the bricks off the power strip/outlets for those I need to fully use the full ports for. 

Doesn't fix the baseline problem but does help mitigate it in those instances you need it. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Long ago I bought a bunch of 6-12 inch power extension cables from monoprice. Lets me move the bricks off the power strip/outlets for those I need to fully use the full ports for. 

Doesn't fix the baseline problem but does help mitigate it in those instances you need it. 

Message 2 of 4
Craig-Brown
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about making something like the extension you mentioned, but hadn't looked to see if I could buy one.

Model: GS305v3|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Power supplies are always a compromise. 

Without any insight on your complaint, one can just guess that you use an UPS with this unlucky layout as used by one or some major UPS vendor in the 110/120VAC market. The common agreed de-facto standard layout for "flatened" power supplies - note there is not much "design" involved by the switch maker, it's more a question of the price and quality at the end of the day - does indeed cover these neighboring outlets. As already suggested, the best approach is using short extension cords:

6070800cv12d.jpg

Said that - on a more standard sized strip, we can connect many of these Netgear supplied power blocks:

640px pwr strip.jpg

Globally - at least in the 230..240VAC world - the UPSes are coming typically with IEC C13 outlets, so to connect these junk adapters an adapter cable is required anyway. But for more common equipment, plain C13 cables can be used.

Here an example of a more dense 230V AC strip here in Switzerland with three of the more common  Netgear 12V 1.5...2.5A DC power bricks here in my garden lab:

230vac swiss.jpg 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements