Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access D7000 NightHawk when used as router only

rtafoya
Aspirant

Access D7000 NightHawk when used as router only

I recently switch ISP to Starlink,  I switch my Nighthawk settings to act as a Wireless Access Point now want to access the NightHawk router configuration page but when I try 198.162.1.1 I get the startlink configuration page. If I try www.routerlogin.com  or www.routerlogin.net  it sends me to a page with instructions for connecting but does not connect to the router page. I tried clear browser history and cache and was temporarily able to get in but then it reverted back to the same page with instructions on connecting.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: Access D7000 NightHawk when used as router only

@rtafoya wrote:

I switch my Nighthawk settings to act as a Wireless Access Point now want to access the NightHawk router configuration page but when I try 198.162.1.1 I get the startlink configuration page. If I try www.routerlogin.com  or www.routerlogin.net  it sends me to a page with instructions for connecting but does not connect to the router page.

Those addresses are no use in AP mode. The router hijacks them because it controls where things go.

Check the "connected devices" page of the Starlink modem/router.

Look for the IP address of the D7000. Feed that IP address into your browser and you should get the browser graphical user interface (GUI) for the D7000.

Remember, there's not much you can do in AP mode.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies

@rtafoya wrote:

I switch my Nighthawk settings to act as a Wireless Access Point now want to access the NightHawk router configuration page but when I try 198.162.1.1 I get the startlink configuration page. If I try www.routerlogin.com  or www.routerlogin.net  it sends me to a page with instructions for connecting but does not connect to the router page.

Those addresses are no use in AP mode. The router hijacks them because it controls where things go.

Check the "connected devices" page of the Starlink modem/router.

Look for the IP address of the D7000. Feed that IP address into your browser and you should get the browser graphical user interface (GUI) for the D7000.

Remember, there's not much you can do in AP mode.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

What starlink router do you have? 

It might be quite a bit more capable than the d7000. 

Message 3 of 8

As I read it, the D7000 is in AP mode. The Starlink is in charge.

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward was wondering why use both if its one of the higher model starlink ones as the D7000 is getting a bit older/behind in technology. If more coverage is needed or if they think its faster. 

I'm a fan of keeping things simple and if the starlink has more capability, just using that. 

Message 5 of 8

@plemans wrote:

I'm a fan of keeping things simple and if the starlink has more capability, just using that. 

Couldn't agree more.

It would certainly be a good idea to know what @rtafoya wants to achieve.

I answered the question on the basis that they wanted to add an AP to make the WiFi go further, or to add some more LAN ports to the network. If that isn't the objective then ditch the D7000.

Message 6 of 8
rtafoya
Aspirant

The D7000 was used with DSL before Starlink. I am just trying to make the transition easier and keep the externder/mesh network in place that I had with the D7000. This seemed the easy way to do it.

Message 7 of 8

@rtafoya wrote:

I am just trying to make the transition easier and keep the externder/mesh network in place that I had with the D7000.

The D7000 isn't a Mesh device. If it sits between the anonymous Starlink device and some other system there may be other ways of easing the transition, perhaps by "bridging" the Starlink box. But that's just a guess knowing nothing about the rest of your network.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7