Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6000 lost configuration after power cycle and other issues.

Glowfish
Aspirant

D6000 lost configuration after power cycle and other issues.

I recently purchased a D6000 router. I did have some initial problems with the router out the box. 

I could not connect to the configuration webpage via ethernet. I initially tried two different PCs to connect however the browser kept telling me that the connection was being "reset". I was using the router DHCP with a cable straight from my PC to the router with nothing else plugged in. I tried various things, reinitializing my network connection, fixed IP addresses, disabling my firewall, different browsers but nothing seemed to work.I eventually used my phone connected to the netgear wifi to access the webpage and do some configurations. Oddly enough, once I had configured the router LAN to a different IP address then I could access the webpage via Ethernet. I did check with IPconfig that I was on the correct subnet etc. I still cannot explain that.

I upgraded the firmware on the router from the initial version of 1.0.0.49 to the latest I could find of 1.0.0.61 due to bugfixes and security patches. I still had the same connectivity errors via Ethernet as before until I reconfigured the LAN to a different IP address via my phone.

I was a bit disappointed that the "Advanced QOS" features as advertised on the box are apparently fixed and cannot be modified (but that is a another issue).

I managed to configure the router and connect to the Internet. All seemed to be working for a day. However, when I powered down the router to change some plugs, it seemed to have lost all its settings and reverted to factory defaults. I tried setting up a few things again and this time it did retain the settings after a power cycle so I don't believe it was a setup issue on my part.

Has anyone else experienced this issue of the D6000 losing all its configuration settings after a power down? Is it a firmware bug or a hardware issue? Will it happen again? At the moment, I have reinstalled my old router as I now cannot trust this router to continue operating and believe it is somehow defective. Is there something I could try or perhaps another firmware update?

Model: D6000|AC750 WiFi Modem Router - 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 10
Glowfish
Aspirant

After some more investigation I discovered some articles regarding Kaspersky and an apparent issue it has blocking router webpages. The articles were dated but apparently even disabling protection or firewalls of Kaspersky  oes not fix the issue. I am looking into that. As both my PC's that I used have Kaspersky installed, it might explain why I could not access the router via Ethernet until I changed its IP address.

Message 2 of 10

Is this the page you found?

Unable to access router management page with Kaspersky installed | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@Glowfish wrote:

...even disabling protection or firewalls of Kaspersky  oes not fix the issue. ...

You have to uninstall Kaspersky, get into the interface and then reinstall Kapsersky.

Believe it or not, things then work as expected.

Message 3 of 10
Glowfish
Aspirant

Yes, that was one of the articles I found. There were also various forums entries regarding the issue (it seems this has been an issue for ages and Kaspersky still hasn't fixed it). I will try the Kaspersky reinstall and see if that fixes the login problem.

However, my main concern is still the loss of settings after the power cycle. At the moment the only theory I have is that I should have done a complete power cycle after upgrading the firmware instead of just letting it soft reboot. Perhaps the storage media was left in an odd state and didn't actually save any settings afterward when I set it up even though It appeared as such (Although that would still be disturbing). I am not sure how sensitive the router is to power fluctuations and whether something like that could cause the settings to be corrupted (I certainly hope not) but the telephone line is going through an arrestor as well as the power supply. I have tried cycling power a few times again and the settings still seem fine so I am currently unsure.

Message 4 of 10

@Glowfish wrote:

However, my main concern is still the loss of settings after the power cycle. At the moment the only theory I have is that I should have done a complete power cycle after upgrading the firmware instead of just letting it soft reboot.

Netgear advises that you sometimes have to reset devices to their factory settings after you flash the firmware. This is because the new firmware changes things that aren't compatible with the old settings.

Here is the strategy I  use for firmware flashes:

It isn't always necessary, but if you have problems after a firmware flash, you should reset the thing to factory settings, but you can try to preserve your configuration.

My strategy is to:

• save (backup) settings
  • flash firmware

If that works and you see no problems, great. If not, and something doesn't work,you may have to reset the device to the default settings:

• set to factory settings
  • retrieve settings from backup

If that works and you see no problems, problem fixed! If not:

• set to factory settings.
  • reconfigure everything

If that fails, then I fear that you may have to flash back to earlier firmware.

Message 5 of 10
Glowfish
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice. For the moment, until I see the problem happen again, I'll chalk the power cycle settings reset to something lingering after the firmware update.

Message 6 of 10

Now go and create a backup of your current settings. You never know when you may need it.

Message 7 of 10
Glowfish
Aspirant

Well. Went away for a holiday. All seemed ok with the router. I powered it down. Came back after about 2 weeks and discovered it would no longer assign IP addresses via DHCP. I even tried static IP addresses on the connected PC to no avail. I unplugged the router and tried a second PC and it too would no assign an IP address. I tried cycling power a few times with no effect. I did a full factory reset and then the router started assigning IP addresses as normal.

This time, settings seemed ok but again it seems some sort of corruption occured as the router seemed to assign addresses normally again after a factory reset.

Unfortunately something is not right with this router. Considering whether to frisbee it and get something else.

Model: D6000|AC750 WiFi Modem Router - 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 8 of 10

From the outset, you have described the D6000 as a router. It is actually a modem/router. Are you using it as such? Is there anything else on the network?

I ask because when you have a chain of devices you have to be careful in the order in which you switch things on.

This is what Netgear says:

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

They don't explain this, but I gather that it is to do with which box gets to control what goes on. Get it wrong and stuff like DHCP can go berserk. That's why your message made me think of it.

Message 9 of 10
Glowfish
Aspirant

Originally I was using the D6000 as a modem and router. The D6000 was connected to a telephone and using ADSL and 4 LAN cables were plugged into it. This is when I had the issue of it losing the settings on the power cycle. Since then, I had removed the D6000 and used an older DLink that I had to do Internet. I set up the D6000 temporarily to essentially be a Wifi access point as I needed more Wifi coverage at the time. I was using the WAN port to connect to the rest of my network. It had one extra computer on the LAN side. The D6000 seemed to be working perfectly. The computer was receiving IP addresses, any mobile device was connecting to the Wifi fine and all devices had internet access through the WAN port through the rest of my network.

When testing the system now, I did unplug the WAN port and only had a single isolated computer connected to it. The computer was not getting any addresses and the network adapter kept resetting, cycling between "enabled" and "unidentified network". I unplugged the D6000 and tried a different computer where I had similar results, an unstable ethernet connection.

I then tried unplugging all the ethernet and connecting via my mobile phone via Wifi. The phone kept cycling between "connected" and "aquiring ip".

Eventually I performed the factory reset. Once I cycled power after the reset, my PC immediately got an adress without issue.

I have now unplugged it completely and it is sitting on my shelf. I replugged all my computers back into their existing cables as I dont need the extra Wifi coverage at this point and continuing to make use of my old router.

I understand the need to make sure there are not multiple DHCP servers on the network. I am sure of that. The D6000 was configured to use the WAN port with only a single computer so there would have been no conflicts. In my experience I usually do not have issues with other routers/modems regardless of powerup sequence although I could have been exceptionally lucky.

DHCP conflicts unfortunately do no explain why a single PC could not make an Ethernet connection to the D6000.

That powerup sequence sounds very specifically sequenced and not usually something I would expect would have to be done in a home network enviroment after a power trip or failure.I can honestly say I have never come across the need to do something so specific but live and learn. I suppose that just reinforces the need to have a UPS to keep the routers and modems powered to avoid the scenario.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7