Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 Guest network NOT isolated

deOldphart
Aspirant

D7000 Guest network NOT isolated

Trying to setup a guest network that does not have access to the local network.   I have set up and enabled a guest network with "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" Unticked. Seems simple enough except that when I log into the guest network I still have full access to the storage devices and other machines on my home network. An IP scanner app run from the laptop on the guest network shows everything on the network. Not exactly the isolation I was expecting.

Am I missing something, or is this not fit for purpose?

Firmware: V1.0.1.44_1.0.1, rebooted router just in case.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
deOldphart
Aspirant

Re: D7000 Guest network NOT isolated

UPDATE.

Several hours later logged in to guest network via my laptop and situation is slightly changed. Now not everything on my LAN can be seen in Finder  or accessed.  However I can still see and mount my TimeCapsule backups  and access all directories on my iMac machine which are on ethernet from router. IP scanner on laptop still sees all devices and reports back IP and MAC addresses, and manufacturer for all devices on the LAN from which it is supposed to be isolated.

Not sure what is causing situation to change slightly. Only possible clue is that the laptop i am using to test is normally connected to the main network and perhaps it "remembers" LAN connections in a way that bypasses the router isolation.

Message 2 of 3
deOldphart
Aspirant

Re: D7000 Guest network NOT isolated

Well, its been a couple of months now and nobody has jumped in with a solution or fix, or even a promise of one. I can conclusively state that my D7000 simply does not provide any isolation for the guest network. Guests logging in via my guest network can see everything on my home network. Leaving the "Allow guests to see each other..." box unchecked or checked simply has no effect whatsoever on guest access to the rest of the network.  Bummer. I should have paid a bit more money for a brand that does offer guest lan isolation but at least know what brand not to buy when we upgrade my office.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7