Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 OpenVPN Server configuration issue

mcrs969
Luminary

man solution to this problem exists in the web from at least 2 weeks after .44 release, forums from:

- hwupgrade.it

- whirlpool.net.au

- this community

report in some posts that the issue is in the push of smartphone VPN, so there is a little error in coding the proper route.

So hopefully after .48 we'll see a fix also for that, I'm really hopeful specially because it looks like that xDSL driver development stopped to v42n that is a pity since I have found this SoC great with my ONU (VDSL).

let's see if they come out with some update and also with newer xDSL drivers...please NETGEAR!! 😄

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 26 of 40
Kompiler
Aspirant

@soulneo wrote:

Hi everyone,

I really hope this discussion is not closed yet, because I really have the same issue, and that's frustrating and annoying for such a router which makes VPN a primary key for the business (which also it's not cheap at all).

Anyway, I made some improvements: I was able to prevent the error and also surf the internet. Smiley Wink

Unfortunately, the LAN is still not reachable. Smiley Frustrated

My changes applied to the client_phone.ovpn are the following (bold):

client
route-nopull
route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
dev tun

I also tried the push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0" command but it's the same as the one writed before.

I would ask michele9999 how was he able to modify the server configuration file.

Where did you find it? The "temporary" solution could be nice till Netgear engineers won't fix this for good.

I agree with the community: a NEW FIRMWARE is absolutely REQUIRED URGENTLY!!

Btw: are you aware about any previous firmware which is not affected by this issue? Maybe 1.0.1.42 worked? Any experience to share?

Thanks to all.

Looking forward to get some help from you or Netgear.

Best regards!

Hi soulneo,

Those settings are similar to those which I posted in a different thread...

nighthawk AC1900 D700 VPN setup

Unfortunately I was still unable to surf the internet or access lan devices. 😞

To be honest I ended up giving up. I have/had several issues (another being DDNS registration, see D7000 DDNS not updating) and each time I just got the robotic response of "please contact your 3rd party provider".

Good luck

Cheers

Komp

Message 27 of 40
BMG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

I've upgraded the firmware in my d7000 to V1.0.1.50_1.0.1 and still openvpn fails to open up a VPN tunnel that will allow me to see anything beyond my router as it provides me an ip of 192.168.2.2 with the router accessible on 192.168.2.1. The issue being that I really require an ip of 192.168.1.xxx so that I have then access the internet and all other devices that sit on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

I'm using the openvpn iOS app on iPhone7. Can anyone else confirm that they are still experiencing the same issues before I contact netgear support?

Thanks
Message 28 of 40
mcrs969
Luminary

Hi, did somebody provide a solution or do you somehow have some workaround to make VPN work also on smartphones?

Message 29 of 40
BMG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi mcrs969,

As far as I am aware the openvpn issue for iOS devices is still an outstanding issue that netgear have failed to resolve or are refusing to resolve.

The last time I contacted netgear support about the issue they wanted me to pay for extended support so that can investigate an issue that has never worked even though they sell the device claiming that it supports vpn.

Thanks
Message 30 of 40
soulneo
Aspirant

Hi mcrs969,

I've contacted Netgeare support with the full support warranty still active and I explained this issue.

They provided a beta firmware which fixed the issue.

Unfortunately I signed an agreement which prevent me to share this firmware with other people but my suggestion would be to open a ticket to them and just wait for the same solution.

It's pretty weird that Netgear has already found a solution for this major problem and they still don't upgrade their public firmware to this version.

Much more weird is that thay don't give a s***t about this topic published on their own community.....

For sure next time I will think twice before buying a Netgear device. I promise!

Hope you can find a way to fix.. Good luck!

Message 31 of 40
mcrs969
Luminary

Hi Soulneo, I guess I know which FW you mention and it should be < than latest version .50, I was wondering if after that something has changed or not...

In the DIY practice (do it yourself) I could find this FW along with the agreement so I cannot also re-distribute it but as far as I am aware it should be not latest compared to latest FW released by NETGEAR. So for who has a D7000 the situation is:

- keep VPN working without safety features

- put safety features but lose VPN functionality...

Did you open your ticket with respect to FW .50 (so latest released)?

The solution to the issue appears clear to many people (also web forums and sites) but I can't get why this is not implemented in a production FW.

Could a mod assist here?

Message 32 of 40
TrueGent
Guide

Having spent weeks investigating this myself, I solved the issue.

This is not a Netgear issue. It is due to Android not natively supporting the TUN protocol.

Simply:

1) Install the pro-version of the OpenVPN Client by colucci-web.it. It costs ~$8. (The free version does not provide the functionality)

2) Import the "Non-Windows" config files from the router, not the "Smartphone" into the OpenVPN Client

3) Connect!

Message 33 of 40
soulneo
Aspirant

Hi mcrs969,

yes you're right. It's less than .50 and it was provided as a TEST firmware.

I didn't upgraded to the latest one because I need the VPN and I don't want to risk (and, as far as I see, the latest one doesn't fix this issue).

I cannot even suggest TrueGent's method since I cannot:

1- find any "pro-version" of OpenVPN (surely not on Apple Store at least)

2- check the vendor website since it is still under construction (??? self promoting ???)

Can't see any mod here from the really beginning of the thread.. Sorry man.. 😞 

Message 34 of 40
mcrs969
Luminary

Hi Soulneo, then we are both running on the same situation, I need VPN on 5 iOS devices and on 2 Android devices, so I won't put a production FW until I get that feature up and running.

The method from TrueGent's is probably referring to some other FW or device as I have the issues both on Android and iOS and I would not like to pay 7 times the cost of the app (approx 8$ as he said), I rather buy a raspberry or something similar and make my own server but this is also not an option as my D7000 can do it now... although I have to keep my device unsafe (.50 adds security enhancements).

I would love to help here in getting that fixed for everyone. I love the D7000 as I have 2 in 2 flats and they work great!
Message 35 of 40
TrueGent
Guide

I can confirm that I am using a D7000 modem/router.

My client is a Samsung Galaxy S7, running Android 7.0

The client app is in the Google App Store - OpenVPN Client (v2.15.37 - 4th Sept 2017) by colucci-web.it

I agree it's expensive for multiple devices - although I believe you can install the same app on multiple Android devices if you use the same Google account on each device. As for Apple, I'm afraid I can't comment.

There are other apps available to achieve the same thing, but require your Android device to be rooted, but I haven't tried them.

Message 36 of 40
invocat80
Aspirant

Thanks to TrueGent. I followed steps in post 2017-09-12 08:21 AM (purchasing OpenVPN Client, using non-windows client profile instead of smartphone profile)  and was able to access my local network from my NON rooted OnePlus 5 Android device. Thanks again.

Message 37 of 40
Ryanmt
Aspirant

It 100% is a netgear issue. TAP is broken and its forcing you to use TUN as a workaround, if TAP was functioning correctly you wouldnt have to pay for a premium app or root your phone.

Just updated to the latest firmware expecting for this to be fixed since it was sorted in a beta firmware months ago and its still got the bug in. Can nobody from netgear update us as to when we can expect this fix? 

Im not sure what is worse customer service, not fixing it atall or just fixing it for 1 user and then ignoring the rest!

Message 38 of 40
sebildo
Aspirant

Hi All,

I have the same problem with my R6220 (firmware V1.1.0.50_1.0.1)... 

Netgear - please help us. How long we have to wait for the correction of such serious error.

Message 39 of 40
BMG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem with the D7000 v1.

Currently on the latest firmware V1.0.1.54_1.0.1 and still the OpenVPN issue when used on iOS devices reported by may users including myself has still not been resolved.

I agree that the lack of support and commitment from Netgear to resolve this outstanding issue is absolutely BS.

I've contacted Netgear support on 2 previous occassions and they want we to pay for premium support even though the device is still under warranty but outside the 90-day free phone support.  

I still can't understand why I need to pay fro support for netgear to fix a bug in their firmware that has existed since I bought the device which they claimed suports OpenVPN for Windows, Mac and Smartphones.  The way I see it, this device is not fit for purpose and I now plan write write a letter directly to Netgear (Australia) requesting to return the product for a full refund under Australian Consumer Laws where a device is not fit for purpose especially when I purchase this device to use for VPN with my iOS devices.

I'm still hopeful that Netgear fix this issue before I seek a full refund and replace the D7000 with either a TP-Link, DLink or ASUS modem/router.  Enough is enough!

Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7